Here we go again...another MAJOR disappointment

S

Sheila Black

What a sad, sad day. Morrissey is releasing another album. Oh how many days have how many of us have spent waiting with great anticipation, like for a saviour that will bless our lives with great music and meaningful lyrics. And how many days of misery and disppointment have we all endured when He puts out another unlistenable collection of drones, hateful and cruel lyrics, and C-class musicianship. Why would "Quarry" be any different? Yes, there may be truth in the mantra (if you watch "Lord of the Rings" enough times) that there is always hope, but smart money is on that we will all get swindled again. Johnny Rotten has nothing on Morrissey these days. Even the song titles are boring. Back in his prime, He could write simple and meaningful song titles without it being a stanza. "Rubber Ring", "Hand in Glove", "This Charming Man", "Suedehead", "Well I Wonder", "Everyday is like Sunday", "Sheila Take a Bow", "Disappointed", the list goes on and on. Now they're always a mouthful - "Last of the Gang to Die" (actually the best one on the new LP), "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" (He's become one), "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?" (what happened to imagination and wit?), and "My Life Is A Series Of People Saying Goodbye" (PLEASE!). Even the short titles seemed to be written by a 3 year old - "I Like You" and "I'm Not Sorry", or worse, by a tourist board - "Come Back To Camden" and "Irish Blood, English Heart".

I obviously wish to the depths of my heart that I'm wrong, but I know I'm right. And will I risk turning my heart into glass again? I'm sorry it's beyond my control and I'll join the pack like I always do, hoping, despite knowing better...

What this hoe just typed is exactly how each of us feel deep down but are too afraid to admit!!!

Well at least all y'all. I been pretty vocal about how much this album will suck. Sheila is right. The titles are the most unimaginative in Morrissey's career. This album is gonna make Maladjusted look like Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band. Don't get your hopes up assholes.

You are the queery!!

> What a sad, sad day. Morrissey is releasing another album. Oh how many
> days have how many of us have spent waiting with great anticipation, like
> for a saviour that will bless our lives with great music and meaningful
> lyrics. And how many days of misery and disppointment have we all endured
> when He puts out another unlistenable collection of drones, hateful and
> cruel lyrics, and C-class musicianship. Why would "Quarry" be
> any different? Yes, there may be truth in the mantra (if you watch
> "Lord of the Rings" enough times) that there is always hope, but
> smart money is on that we will all get swindled again. Johnny Rotten has
> nothing on Morrissey these days. Even the song titles are boring. Back in
> his prime, He could write simple and meaningful song titles without it
> being a stanza. "Rubber Ring", "Hand in Glove",
> "This Charming Man", "Suedehead", "Well I
> Wonder", "Everyday is like Sunday", "Sheila Take a
> Bow", "Disappointed", the list goes on and on. Now they're
> always a mouthful - "Last of the Gang to Die" (actually the best
> one on the new LP), "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" (He's
> become one), "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?" (what
> happened to imagination and wit?), and "My Life Is A Series Of People
> Saying Goodbye" (PLEASE!). Even the short titles seemed to be written
> by a 3 year old - "I Like You" and "I'm Not Sorry", or
> worse, by a tourist board - "Come Back To Camden" and
> "Irish Blood, English Heart".

> I obviously wish to the depths of my heart that I'm wrong, but I know I'm
> right. And will I risk turning my heart into glass again? I'm sorry it's
> beyond my control and I'll join the pack like I always do, hoping, despite
> knowing better...

Really, you're a hard one to please aren't you? Not to worry though, it seems like you're not the only one here who just will not be pleased with anything Morrissey does.

Yes, so jump on that bandwagon to complain about the greying side burns, the clothes, where he lives, the lack of touring venues, and now to the album that hasn't even been released. Do you (as part of the collective group) feel that he owes you and must seek to please you at every opportunity?

Be happy that there is an alternative. Be glad that you are not forced to listen to Celine Dion, Steps or Boyzone day in and day out. There may be songs in there you don't like; you may think that his prime is over but all he is doing is releasing the music he likes.

Applaud him for being "the man in the arena", maybe the price of that is to be criticised and judged but let's give him a chance don't you think? Isn't that part of being a fan? Support and encouragement? This is not to say that one cannot have an opinion, but when it becomes a personal attack it is no longer in the best interest of a discussion, it’s just someone who likes to name call.

If you think the album is not to your liking - simple, don’t buy it and stop calling yourself a fan.

Or if you think you can do better, we expect to see your offering hitting the shelves soon.

Poor Sheila, her grammar is awful and her post is laughable!

"Isn't that part of being a fan? Support and encouragement? This is not to say that one cannot have an opinion, but when it becomes a personal attack it is no longer in the best interest of a discussion, it’s just someone who likes to name call."

I don't think it was a personal attack. I think it was a long time Morrissey fan giving their honest feelings about what they've been given so far. Hell, Morrissey himself would be the first one to make similar comments in the reverse situation. And frankly, I agree that the song titles are embarrassing. And, yes, you can still be a fan and make such statements. Some people on here are simply blinded by everything the man does. That's not being a true fan, that's just being blind. I'm quite sure everyone here wants the album to be a success, wants it to be great, and is going to give it a chance when it comes out. But there's nothing wrong with having a hunch that it won't be and saying so. In fact, buying the album when you have doubts about it is a great show of support, don't you think?

>Even the song titles are boring. Back in
> his prime, He could write simple and meaningful song titles without it
> being a stanza. "Rubber Ring", "Hand in Glove",
> "This Charming Man", "Suedehead", "Well I
> Wonder", "Everyday is like Sunday", "Sheila Take a
> Bow", "Disappointed", the list goes on and on. Now they're
> always a mouthful - "Last of the Gang to Die" (actually the best
> one on the new LP), "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" (He's
> become one), "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?" (what
> happened to imagination and wit?), and "My Life Is A Series Of People
> Saying Goodbye" (PLEASE!). Even the short titles seemed to be written
> by a 3 year old - "I Like You" and "I'm Not Sorry", or
> worse, by a tourist board - "Come Back To Camden" and
> "Irish Blood, English Heart".

I like the song titles, except for "Come Back to Camden" is a dull one.

The album title has finally grown on me too.

The only thing that's unfortunate is that we've heard a few of these songs already, more than a year ago (although they'll sound a bit different on the album I'm sure). While it was great that we got to hear those to help with the long period of Morrissey being AWOL, it's unfortunate because I kinda like everything to be new to me when I first buy a Morrissey album, and then I can spend the whole first day getting to know it. I kinda wish I didn't know the song titles yet even.

I'm glad "Mexico" isn't on the album. If that sub-par song had made the cut I'd be worried about the rest of the album.

> And frankly, I agree that the song
> titles are embarrassing.

Eh? Embarassing?

Re: What do Morrissey and Evander Holyfield have in common??

The vast majority of us do not agree.

Please leave the site forever.

Re: What this hoe just typed is exactly how each of us feel deep down but are too afraid to admit!!!

Leave this site.

What about Strangeways Here We Come.

A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Girlfriend In A Coma
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Unhappy Birthday
Paint A Vulgar Picture
Death At One's Elbow
I Won't Share You

These all seem to fall into one of your complaint categories.

> I don't think it was a personal attack.

"Titles written by a 3 year old" is not a personal attack? I should have said that this is not the only message that seems unfair but really just an example of several we've seen here over the last twelve months.

I think it was a long time
> Morrissey fan giving their honest feelings about what they've been given
> so far.

This is what I really don't understand; "given"? Given as an option sure, but given as if Morrissey is obligated to write the music that we want to hear. Honestly, if gathering the largest possible audience was his intention he would have been signed long ago and be making guest appearances on World Idol.

There appears to be a possessive nature of some fans. He needs to dress and look the way we want him to, release the music we want him to, be in the place we want to him to. Who are we to demand such things? Why have we suddenly become so important in determining this man's life and what he chooses to do with it?

Hell, Morrissey himself would be the first one to make similar
> comments in the reverse situation. And frankly, I agree that the song
> titles are embarrassing.

See Madness etc's, post. I agree whole-heartedly.

And, yes, you can still be a fan and make such
> statements. Some people on here are simply blinded by everything the man
> does. That's not being a true fan, that's just being blind. I'm quite sure
> everyone here wants the album to be a success, wants it to be great, and
> is going to give it a chance when it comes out. But there's nothing wrong
> with having a hunch that it won't be and saying so. In fact, buying the
> album when you have doubts about it is a great show of support, don't you
> think?

I don't think it's a matter of being blind, I see it as being reasonable. I just don't know how some can rubbish an album without hearing it first. People whine and carry on about how long it's been since he's released something, then Morrissey signs, hops into the studio but people here then complain about how awful it's going to be. Where is the logic in that?

He has said that the things said on the Morrissey-solo message board are hurtful. You would expect those sort of things said on rival message boards. (See the treatment Dido has received recently.) But surely as fans to nit-pick and scrutinise the person that you claim to be devoted to (as fulfilling the definition of a fan) is not only saying something about Morrissey but also denouncing yourself, i.e, if you believe him to be dreadful, then what does that say about you who happens to be so interested? (I should say when I say "you" I don't mean you personally but those who seem to partake in this activity.)

"Titles written by a 3 year old" is not a personal attack?"

I don't see it as an attack, no. I see it as a brutally honest opinion. I find it hard to believe that someone could deny those titles are juvenile. And there's nothing wrong with saying so.

"This is what I really don't understand; "given"? Given as an option sure, but given as if Morrissey is obligated to write the music that we want to hear."

No, not at all. I'm speaking of the information we have so far about the album.

"There appears to be a possessive nature of some fans. He needs to dress and look the way we want him to, release the music we want him to, be in the place we want to him to. Who are we to demand such things?"

Who is demanding that? Not me. Are you replying to me or someone that I'm not aware of? I'm giving an opinion on his music. Morrissey can do whatever he wants. And we can also give our opinion as we see fit.

"Why have we suddenly become so important in determining this man's life and what he chooses to do with it?"

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're going off in another direction entirely. You don't seem to be responding to what I said at all. Obviously you have issues with things others have posted here and you're confusing me with them.

"See Madness etc's, post. I agree whole-heartedly."

I don't know what Madness said, but whatever it was he's entitled to his opinion.

"I don't think it's a matter of being blind, I see it as being reasonable. I just don't know how some can rubbish an album without hearing it first."

It's called a hunch, which is a feeling based on small amounts of information. In my case it's based on more, but we'll get to that later.

"People whine and carry on about how long it's been since he's released something, then Morrissey signs, hops into the studio but people here then complain about how awful it's going to be. Where is the logic in that?"

Again, you're talking to someone else. This just goes to show Morrissey fans (defenders) have a one track mind with the sole purpose of defending Morrissey nomatter what is said. Blind worship. Again, you're hung up on things others have been posting, not me. If you're going to take the time to respond, at least read what I've written and respond directly to what I've said.

"He has said that the things said on the Morrissey-solo message board are hurtful."

Oh please. He's a big boy.

"But surely as fans to nit-pick and scrutinise the person"

Who is nitpicking? I'm stating my opinion. I said the song titles were awful and they are. I hope the songs themselves are better, but I have my doubts considering his last proper album wasn't very good. To me the song titles alone suggest he's becoming a bad parody of himself. Scrutinising would be me saying "oh look he's getting a bit chubby round the middle" I'm not doing that, nor would I ever. I'm giving my opinion on his art. I'm a fan and I know when he's great and when he's not. He's going downhill fast. Everything from the last album, to the last tour, to the new songs I've heard, to the new album titles.

"that you claim to be devoted to (as fulfilling the definition of a fan)"

I'm very devoted. I bought Maladjusted and I still own it (on cd and vinyl) despite the fact that it's crap. And I'll buy the new album the day it comes out despite my concerns about how crap it's going to be. That's devotion.

"if you believe him to be dreadful, then what does that say about you who happens to be so interested?"

When did I say he's dreadful? I said he's going downhill, and his recent output has been pretty dreadful, yes. His output over his career as a whole blows 95% percent of all others out of the water. That's why I'm a fan and will probably always be a fan. To be a fan you do not need to love and appreciate everything an artist does. It's true I have lost a large amount of faith that's he still capable of greatness, yes. But I'm loyal and I'll continue to support him regardless. I'm sure he still has some good songs in him, but the well appears to have run dry for the most part. This is based on what I've seen of his work the past few years. Meaning his last album, those ridiculous new song titles that seem in the same vein as the Maladjusted songs, hearing the new songs live on tour, and the last TV appearances he gave in the states and the UK.

Above all, my devotion to his music makes me a more than suitable critic, and I have a right to my opinion and I've given it. That's all.

> What about Strangeways Here We Come.
> A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
> I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
> Death Of A Disco Dancer
> Girlfriend In A Coma
> Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
> Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
> Unhappy Birthday
> Paint A Vulgar Picture
> Death At One's Elbow
> I Won't Share You
> These all seem to fall into one of your complaint categories.

Have you heard the new songs? Because I've heard some of them and they're no Strangeways. Are you saying you think they could be?

To address your point in a more serious manner. This is what I meant when I said in another post that Morrissey has become a bad parody of himself. He's taken it a step further and become quite ridiculous. I think a couple of the above titles are a bit silly when taken at face value, but hearing the songs themselves we completely forget that because the songs are so brilliant. And, no, those song titles are not as dreadful as the recent ones we're getting. There's a fine line between being humorous and being ridiculous and he's crossed it.

Lastly, from the songs I've heard on the new album, and seeing the direction Morrissey has taken with his songs in the past some years, I would be completely shocked if anything on the new album approached even half the greatness of the above songs.

> I don't see it as an attack, no. I see it as a brutally honest opinion. I
> find it hard to believe that someone could deny those titles are juvenile.
> And there's nothing wrong with saying so.

I'm just making the point that if those people here are so quick to criticise, then maybe they should write an album. Let's see how they do. Personally, I couldn't write a verse to save my life. It's that old adage that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It's one thing to say, "That album wasn't to my liking" and other to crap on about how we are all left here for Morrissey to save us and then "how many days of misery and disppointment have we all endured when He puts out another unlistenable collection of drones, hateful and cruel lyrics, and C-class musicianship." I certainly don't feel that way and if I did I would stop buying the albums. And then to say I can tell it's going to be rubbish because of the song titles. Really, it just sounds as if people are searching for something to complain about.

> No, not at all. I'm speaking of the information we have so far about the
> album.

My apologies, I've misunderstood you. I guessed when you were talking about being that message was from a long time fan, I assummed you were discussing the past catalogue.

> Who is demanding that? Not me. Are you replying to me or someone that I'm
> not aware of? I'm giving an opinion on his music. Morrissey can do
> whatever he wants. And we can also give our opinion as we see fit.

You must have missed the part where I stated "I should say when I say "you" I don't mean you personally but those who seem to partake in this activity." Have you missed those posts where people are taking a great interest in the state of his hair?

> I have no idea what you're talking about. You're going off in another
> direction entirely. You don't seem to be responding to what I said at all.
> Obviously you have issues with things others have posted here and you're
> confusing me with them.

Again "I should say when I say "you" I don't mean you personally but those who seem to partake in this activity."

> It's called a hunch, which is a feeling based on small amounts of
> information. In my case it's based on more, but we'll get to that later.

Well it's cynical. And something I don't share. You're right, it may be the biggest load of shit I've ever heard but I'm not going to say that until I've heard it. It's like saying "a film that Woody Allen releases in 2008 will be crap". How do you know? "Oh, I feel it in my waters".

> Again, you're talking to someone else. This just goes to show Morrissey
> fans (defenders) have a one track mind with the sole purpose of defending
> Morrissey nomatter what is said. Blind worship. Again, you're hung up on
> things others have been posting, not me. If you're going to take the time
> to respond, at least read what I've written and respond directly to what
> I've said.

Again "I should say when I say "you" I don't mean you personally but those who seem to partake in this activity." Haven't I responded to what you've said? I'll repeat. I do find the attacks becoming more personal on this board. Unnecessarily so. I wasn't talking about you but rather a select group of people that come here just to lay out bitter opinions which I can only imagine, a small audience would be interested in hearing. I don't find the new song titles embarrasing and will wait to hear the album first before making judgement. You can call that blind adoration if you choose.

> Oh please. He's a big boy.

That was the explanatory sentence to the rest of the paragraph.

> Who is nitpicking? I'm stating my opinion. I said the song titles were
> awful and they are. I hope the songs themselves are better, but I have my
> doubts considering his last proper album wasn't very good. To me the song
> titles alone suggest he's becoming a bad parody of himself. Scrutinising
> would be me saying "oh look he's getting a bit chubby round the
> middle" I'm not doing that, nor would I ever.

When did this thread become about you? Again,"I should say when I say "you" I don't mean you personally but those who seem to partake in this activity." Others have been nit-picking (by your definition and one that I agree with) and hence that was my objection in my initial message, which I recall wasn't addressed to you.

I'm giving my opinion
> on his art. I'm a fan and I know when he's great and when he's not. He's
> going downhill fast. Everything from the last album, to the last tour, to
> the new songs I've heard, to the new album titles.

I disagree.

> I'm very devoted. I bought Maladjusted and I still own it (on cd and
> vinyl) despite the fact that it's crap. And I'll buy the new album the day
> it comes out despite my concerns about how crap it's going to be. That's
> devotion.

I don't think that's devoted. I think that's foolish and a waste of money. The day Morrissey releases an album I don't like, I'm not going to be buying it. Regardless of how long I've been a fan. And I certainly won't be coming here to tell everyone of how I've jumped ship. While it may not appeal to some, it will apeal to others. I would respect their choice and not condemn the music they still like to listen to.

> When did I say he's dreadful? I said he's going downhill, and his recent
> output has been pretty dreadful, yes. His output over his career as a
> whole blows 95% percent of all others out of the water. That's why I'm a
> fan and will probably always be a fan. To be a fan you do not need to love
> and appreciate everything an artist does. It's true I have lost a large
> amount of faith that's he still capable of greatness, yes. But I'm loyal
> and I'll continue to support him regardless. I'm sure he still has some
> good songs in him, but the well appears to have run dry for the most part.
> This is based on what I've seen of his work the past few years. Meaning
> his last album, those ridiculous new song titles that seem in the same
> vein as the Maladjusted songs, hearing the new songs live on tour, and the
> last TV appearances he gave in the states and the UK.

> Above all, my devotion to his music makes me a more than suitable critic,
> and I have a right to my opinion and I've given it. That's all.

Jesus..."I should say when I say "you" I don't mean you personally but those who seem to partake in this activity." I've never had a problem with someone professing an opinion. If you recall "This is not to say that one cannot have an opinion, but when it becomes a personal attack it is no longer in the best interest of a discussion, it’s just someone who likes to name call."

I have no issue with you or your opinion. My issue comes from those who come here to unfairly criticise and name call.

Just in case the point was lost, this message, and all the other messages I have written are not about you. I'm merely explaining my feelings when it comes to that small faction of people who read this board. I agree let's keep it about the music.

Back
Top Bottom