Has Moz become a Nostalgia Act?

G

Grant

Another tour with no new music? No record deal while other no account talent releases record after record? Am I missing something?

get ready for another round of "Now My Heart is Full" and "Boy Racer"!

> Another tour with no new music? No record deal while other no account
> talent releases record after record? Am I missing something?

Think: elvis late 70s

Think Elvis late 70s. > Another tour with no new music? No record deal while other no account

Re: Think: elvis late 70s

maybe Moz will take a musical residence at a Vegas Hotel?!

> Think Elvis late 70s. > Another tour with no new music? No record deal
> while other no account

Re: Vegas hotel

> maybe Moz will take a musical residence at a Vegas Hotel?!

He could open for Sigfreid and Roy!!

> Another tour with no new music? No record deal while other no account

Why does he need a new album to tour?

Elvis is #1 in the UK

> Why does he need a new album to tour?

I don't suppose Morrissey would mind a number one single even if it were a re-release of 'November....' do you?

Give me nostalgia rather than Broccoli Spears any day.

> Why does he need a new album to tour?

You're right!

Why, just last week, he did a set of 'oldies but goodies' at the Louisville Zoo, right in between the Monkees and 'The Brady Bunch's' Barry Williams.

It was groovy: aging hipsters in Moz shirts and Dockers lovingly dancing in the aisles...oh wait, there were no seats - it was in a grassy field in front of the soundstage, across from the Great Apes souvenir stand.

He put on a great show! He dedicated "You're the One For Me, Fatty" to the new baby hippo. It was cute.

Who needs new material to tour??
(trick statement, as the Who are currently touring without, I believe, any new material).

Re: Ms. Spears

> Give me nostalgia rather than Broccoli Spears any day.

but broccoli is good for you and helps fight cancer

> You're right!

> Why, just last week, he did a set of 'oldies but goodies' at the
> Louisville Zoo, right in between the Monkees and 'The Brady Bunch's' Barry
> Williams.

> It was groovy: aging hipsters in Moz shirts and Dockers lovingly dancing
> in the aisles...oh wait, there were no seats - it was in a grassy field in
> front of the soundstage, across from the Great Apes souvenir stand.

> He put on a great show! He dedicated "You're the One For Me,
> Fatty" to the new baby hippo. It was cute.

> Who needs new material to tour??
> (trick statement, as the Who are currently touring without, I believe, any
> new material).

I don't see the analogies you're making at all. You sound like the aging hipster to me. He's touring because he's a singer and wants to sing to people. Nothing could be purer or nicer. It will be good, and not embarassing in any way. Apparently you think one has to be promoting some product in order to tour? So don't buy a ticket, you'd probably stand in the back acting too cool to enjoy yourself anyway.

> I don't see the analogies you're making at all.

Er.. *giggles and walks away*

I think that whatever reaction the new album (if there ever is one)has is what will happen to his career. I think putting out the Rhino Greatest Hits and opening for the Jags might not be the best route. I think it could lead to him playing summer festivals and state fairs with the likes of the Fixx and other forgotten 80's bands.
But if he can get a song on the radio (alternative at least) and sells a bunch of albums, I think he can avoid that trap.
I'm almost waiting for the guest star album with members of Radiohead, Travis, Divine Comedy, etc a la Santana's 'Supernatural' or maybe a Sinatra-style 'Duets'(ha ha!)

Morrissey's a lifer rock and roller

> I think that whatever reaction the new album (if there ever is one)has is
> what will happen to his career. I think putting out the Rhino Greatest
> Hits and opening for the Jags might not be the best route. I think it
> could lead to him playing summer festivals and state fairs with the likes
> of the Fixx and other forgotten 80's bands.
> But if he can get a song on the radio (alternative at least) and sells a
> bunch of albums, I think he can avoid that trap.
> I'm almost waiting for the guest star album with members of Radiohead,
> Travis, Divine Comedy, etc a la Santana's 'Supernatural' or maybe a
> Sinatra-style 'Duets'(ha ha!)

This isn't really to you specifically, but to these threads....

You guys have a really low opinion of Morrissey's ability to have a clue about
what he's doing! Do you think he's a dodo brain? A douche? None of us knows whether or not he's sitting on a goldmine of great songs that'll blow us away, but even if he isn't, even if it's a worse album than Kill Uncle, why would you guys think he's gonna become some kind of embarassment? Please. Give the guy some credit. He took a few years off, so what.

And if he accepted an invite to play with the Jaguares, maybe he just thought it would be fun. Everyone always assumes he's this freak locked away in his own world, but maybe he just felt good to be asked to play with some guys...like, I don't know...a normal human being might feel? Does it have to be so complicated? Why oh why would he play with them, or play there, or do this or that, and what can it all mean! yadda yadda I think we overanalyze things.

The bottom line is, if he releases a great album, he'll be back on top; if he releases an average album, he'll still make most of us happy; and if he releases a crap album, well...that's impossible!!!! Just because he'll never be on MTV again doesn't mean jack squat. He wasn't on there much to begin with, and really I'm not interesting in Morrissey ostentatiously showing off his luxuries on Cribs, or whatever it takes to be a "happenin'" rock star these days. Morrissey, IMO and if he so chooses, can be one of the "lifers" (as Frank Black calls 'em) in rock and roll. He can make music for as long as he wants without looking the fool, because he happens to be like...a genius? Yes, in the rock and roller world, anyway. There are examples of this, ya know. Dylan, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, and many more. And when you look at them all, it strikes me that they have similarities with Morrissey.

And anyway, we're his fans, so lets get tickets to the damn tour and give him a warm reception, all right.

I don't mean to sound testy, but it's always peck peck peck at Morrissey, and all he wants to do is sing his lil heart out for us. And anyway, it's been a few weeks since I posted a fawning fan boy message. But I mean it! = )

> I don't see the analogies you're making at all. You sound like the aging
> hipster to me. He's touring because he's a singer and wants to sing to
> people. Nothing could be purer or nicer. It will be good, and not
> embarassing in any way. Apparently you think one has to be promoting some
> product in order to tour? So don't buy a ticket,

Whoah, Oaf. RELAX. I was only joking.

I just took the 'nostalgia' term and ran with it.
Of COURSE I would attend a Morrissey concert if any came down the pike, which is not likely, as I do not live on the west coast.

Your relentless cheerleading on his behalf is so precious, though!

> you'd probably stand in
> the back acting too cool to enjoy yourself anyway.

No way; I'm always trying to weasel my way to the front of the stage when it's an artist or band I really dig. Once, I even got up onstage, but before Moz could turn around, I was quickly tossed off.

> Whoah, Oaf. RELAX. I was only joking.

> I just took the 'nostalgia' term and ran with it.
> Of COURSE I would attend a Morrissey concert if any came down the pike,
> which is not likely, as I do not live on the west coast.

I'm gonna look into flying to Alaska, if I can work it into my schedule.
Is anyone else going to that?

> Your relentless cheerleading on his behalf is so precious, though!

What you guys were saying seemed really mean to me! I think we should
show him lots of love on this tour to re-energize him!

> No way; I'm always trying to weasel my way to the front of the stage when
> it's an artist or band I really dig. Once, I even got up onstage, but
> before Moz could turn around, I was quickly tossed off.

> I'm gonna look into flying to Alaska, if I can work it into my schedule.
> Is anyone else going to that?

That would require money, righ?

> What you guys were saying seemed really mean to me! I think we should
> show him lots of love on this tour to re-energize him!

I think the fact that this website is alive and flourishing should be testament enough to the guy that YES, he has lots of fans and YES, we will - as we always have - support him.

Back
Top Bottom