Glad to see Loafing Oaf is back and once again putting words in people's mouths.

Re:It's all about Target

> I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but the only reason why I don't is because I
> prefer the nearby Target. I *believe* Target is unionized, which is nice,
> but I'd be lying if I said that's a factor in where I shop. I shop at
> stores that have what I want at a good price, period.
Target is so much better than Wal-Mart where I don't find the prices that great. Plus the stores are filthy, the one by me looks a bomb hit it. I like Khols too. I read that the woman who was trampled at Wal-Mart was trying to scam them, she had about 6 lawsuits before against Wal-mart and other super stores. I hate Best Buys too but they have the best prices on appliances. I was with my B-I-L when he was returning something and it was like the Spanish Inquision so finally he said "they should call this worst buys. I guess you just had to be there.

Re: Hahahaha

> Exactly - every right winger on the face of the planet who's been laying
> low owing to the exposure of the wholesale furphys and wishful thinking
> upon which the war was based, actually think the rest of the world was
> calling their bluff becuase they hadn't found Saddam.

I don't know of anyone who's "laying low," let alone "every right winger on the face of the planet." The only people who should be laying low are those who used fear-mongering propaganda to try and block the toppling of Saddam. Fear-mongering such as that we'd kill hundreds of thousands of civilians, there'd be a mass refugee crisis, a humanitarian catastrophe, all the oil wells would be exploded causing economic and environmnetal disastor, Israel would be sucked into the war and would use nukes, terrorism in America would rise, there'd be a WMD "ring of death" (or was it "ring of fire") awaiting us in Baghdad, and so on and so forth, all predictions which never came true and all designed to make the world too afraid to imagine a new and better Iraq can be created.

Yes, those people should lay low, but of course now they're gonna nitpick every step of the rebuilding of Iraq and the handing over of it to a democratic government, even though if they had had their way Iraq would still be enslaved by a genocidal, mass murdering, torturing psychopath.

You still think that only a right wing conservative could possible support
regime change in Iraq to remove a genocidal maniac.

What is "conservative" about what we're doing in Iraq?

> My reaction to the capture of Saddam was not negative - my reaction to
> conservatives' and war-supporters' reaction to the capture of Saddam
> remains proudly and defiantly negative.

Except Saddam would not be catpured if not for the supporters of the invasion.
Many of whom, by the way, were not "war-supporters" or "conservatives," but actually people living IN Iraq who were WEARY of war and dreaming of a liberal democracy, some of whome fought side-by-side with Americans.

At least 5 opinion polls taken in Iraq have revealed that the overwhleming majority of Iraqis and Kurds are glad the Coalition toppled Saddam.

There are many web blogs from Iraqis in Iraq popping up on the Internet, and every one I've seen has been supportive of the Coalition''s invasion.

> No-one's posted pro-war prattle here in months, then suddenly people start
> feeling vindicated again because of one inevitable that barely changes the
> facts or dynamics of the war in terrorism one iota.

There have been a long line of vindications along the way for those supporting regime change in Iraq. The final vindication will come when the new Iraq is fully established and everyone can compare that with the horrorshow you wanted to leave in place. So you see, in the end your side will inevtiably lose this argument. IMHO. Which is why some people on your side seem to want Saddam loyalists, the criminals they pay, and the Islamic fundamentalists to succeed in chasing the Coalition out of Iraq prematurely, even thoyugh this would of course create civil war, a refugee crisis, civilian deaths, and pretty much the all around humanitarian disastor I thought the peace-lovers were trying to prevent in advocating Saddam be left in power.

But the Coalition won'tbe chased out. And because thayt's not gonna happen, I know that Iraq will be better than ever before. If Bush loses the election, it doesn't matter, because every Democrat with a chance to win has vowed to finish the job in Iraq. Bush had the balls to do something radical and courageous, and people still can't believe he did it. But now that he actually has done it, I'm very sorry, but we'll see the fruits of that action and all the fear-mongering will be exposed.

> I find it interesting that George Bush's first reaction is to holler for
> blood and once more prove how disgusting, immoral and irreligious
> (certainly un-christian) supporters of the death penalty actually are.

What are you talking about? First of all, I don't feel I have to defend everything Bush says or does because I supported invaded Iraq for my own reasons. But for the life of me I can't figure out what you're referring to.
What I remember Bush saying right after Saddam was captured was that he knows what he'd like to see done to Saddam but the choice isn't for him to make, rather it is for Iraqis to make after a trial in Iraq. Please tell me the quote I missed that was "immoral" and "disgusting," because that statement was exactly right-on. Iraqis have the right to expect to be the ones to put him on trial and decide what should be done with him.

Also, while as a general statement I oppose the death penalty in America because I don't trust the system not to make mistakes and because there is racial inequality, I don't get how you accuse people of being "immoral" and "disgusting" simply because they think a monster like Saddam deserves to die.
Is it really beyond you to understand how someone could advocate putting Saddam to death without being a "disgusting" person? You probably think that way because you're always so busy thinking you're right about everything you can't even imagine how someone who isn't "disgusting" can think differently than you.

Whatever the case, as it stands, because of that "disgusting" and "immoral" Bush, Saddam is going to be placed on trial, instead of continuing to commit genocide and torture and mass murder as he would be doing if pure and moral you had had your way.

As far as the charge of being "un-christian," I just have to laugh at that one.
I must say it often worries me when candidates like Bush, and Clinton before him, and many others, go on and on about their religions, but I'm glad to see that Bush was able to disregard what many Christian religious leaders were advising on Iraq and think for himself.

> If he put that much effort into resolving the Palestinian question, he'd
> be doing a greater service in fighting terror than the effects of the
> entire Iraqi
> war combined.

I'm sorry he hasn't solved the Israeli-Palestinian crisis in two years. No one else has either. But it's a good thing that one of the main funders of Palestinian terrorism is now in jail awaiting trial.

Quite frankly you've never expressed much concern over how to deal with Islamic fundamentalist terrorism and the states that support it, so I don't think
you're the man I'll turn to for how we should deal with the problem.

> This thing is far from over - and as Dean is right to ask, is America any
> safer?

What does that mean, "this thing is far from over"? Please elaborate. Hoping for something to happen?

Was Dean right to say America is no safer today than before? I dunno, I guess it's a matter of opinion. How do you prove America is safer?

I think we're safer, although not safe.

This is only some of my evidence:

Al Qaeda no longer controls Afghanistan as their safe and secure home base. Instead, al Qaeda is on the run all over the globe, and their funding has been severely crippled. Just the other day I read that al Qaeda met with Taliban leadership and informed them they'd have to drastically cut their funding of the Taliban. I've also not seen or heard from bin Laden in about a year, so if he's not dead he's in some rat hole in a condition worse than death.

There have been no terrorist attacks in America since 9/11, even though those opposed to America's foreign policy told us it would lead to increased terrorism in America. This could change tomorrow, but the fact is there have been no attacks successfully pulled off despite the terrorist groups' desires and plans. At least three 9/11-scale attacks were prevented (an attempt to take down the Brooklyn Bridge; an attemot to blow up gas stations across the country; and an attempt to take over some Air France flights), and I'm sure many more that we've never heard about. Apparently some of the things that broke down in preventing 9/11 from occurring are being addressed.

Saudi Arabia, the country from which many of the ideas bought into by terrorists emanates from, is backing away from supporting such ideas and is instead cracking down on terrorists. The Suadi royal family's oil monopoly is also about to be undermined by Iraq's liberated oil.

Syria, a terrorist supporting state observing the occurances in Iraq, recently seized over $23 million dollars intended for al Qaeda.

Pakistan is less likely today to be taken over by Islamic fundamentalists of the Taliban variety, which was on the verge of happening a few years ago. If such people did take over Pakistan, the problem in Kashmir would quickly become the biggest problem on earth (if it isn't already), with nuclear war imminent. Islamic fundamentalism of the al Qaeda variety was spreading in many other places as well before 9/11, such as Indonesia, but today they are in retreat and decline.

Saddam can no longer support international terrorism, can no longer have any WMD, can never have nukes, can no longer ethnically cleanse populations in Iraq, can no longer mass murder, or invade other countries.

North Korea was given millions of dollars by Saddam shortly before the Coalition invaded Iraq. It was millions of dollars for illegal missiles with a range to threaten his neighbors. As the David Kay report reveals, North Korea got cold feet because Coalition forces were massing on Iraq's border. In other words, the reality we'd have today if Saddam was left in power would have been his support of terrorism in general, and links to al Qaeda specifically, coupled with his arms deals with North Korea. This vindicates Bush's State of the Union speech where he said we must stop Saddam's threat before it becomes imminent.

In the wake of Saddam's toppling and capture, Libya has agreed to disarm with
international inspectors allowed in to verify.

Also in the wake of Saddam's toppling, Iran has signed an agreement to allow surprise inspections of its nuclear facilities.

I see this is getting rather long, so I'll stop there, as there was one other point I had to make about your apparent fondness for Dean. And I'll just say, you might not agree with all that, but my post has got so much supporting evidence I almost feel hesitant to post something so long, whereas yours just said, "I agree with Howard Dean that America isn't safer." Oh gee, really? Howard Dean, a politician lusting the most powerful office, who based his campaign on opposing the invasion, says no one's safer because of it. Well then I guess it must be so!

I'd be careful about getting too into Howard Dean, though. Dean is guilty of things that those consumed with hatred for Bush have accused Bush of. They tell us Bush has decieved America into thinking Saddam was behind 9/11, even though Bush knows there's no evidence of that. All Bush has ever said was what Saddam is linked to terrorists in general, including al Qaeda. Which is true. And that in the post-9/11 era we cannot co-exist with terrorist supporting dictators like Saddam who violate every U.N. resolution with respect to WMD. Makes sense to me. Saddam has a long record of supporting terrorism, and his links to al Qaeda specifically were proven in a February, 2003 New Yorker article. Since the invasion, each month has brought more proof of such links. But Bush has never said Saddam was behind 9/11.

Howard Dean HAS tried to lead Americans to believe in things he knows aren't true, however. And Dean's supporters are okay with that.

Hmm, I'll put that in a second message in reply to my own message.

Howad Dean the bullshitter

Howard Dean HAS tried to lead Americans to believe in things he knows aren't true, however. And Dean's supporters are okay with that.

Here's Howard Dean on National Public Radio's Diane Rehm Show on Dec. 1:

DEAN: There is a report, which the president is

suppressing evidence for, which is a thorough

investigation of 9/11.

REHM: Why do you think he's suppressing that report?

DEAN: I don't know. There are many theories about it.

The most interesting theory that I've heard so far, which

is nothing more than a theory, I can't -- think it can't be

proved, is that he was warned ahead of time by the

Saudis. Now, who knows what the real situation is, but

the trouble is by suppressing that kind of information,

you lead to those kinds of theories, whether they have

any truth to them or not, and then eventually they get

repeated as fact. So I think the president is taking a

great risk by suppressing the clear -- the key information

that needs to go to the Kean commission.

Dean is trying to repeat and spread conspiracy theories here. And he does it in a really weird way. He doesn't say whether he believes it or does not believe it. He just wants to repeat it on a radio show so other people will believe it.

A few days later, Dean was asked about this on Fox News by Chris Wallace:

WALLACE: The most interesting theory is that the

president was warned ahead of time by the Saudis. Why

would you say that, Governor?

DEAN: Because there are people who believe that. We

don't know what happened in 9/11. Tom Kean is trying

to get some information from the president...

WALLACE: Do you believe that?

DEAN: ... which doesn't -- no, I don't believe that. I

can't imagine the president of the United States doing

that. But we don't know, and it'd be a nice thing to

know.

See, it's not until days after his initial statement on NPR thatg Dean says he doesn't actually believe the conspiracy theory he purposely spread on the airwaves.

Then, a couple days later, Dean said this:

SCOTT SPRADLING, WMUR-TV: Governor Dean,

you had once stated that you thought it was possible that

the president of the United States had been forewarned

about the 9/11 terrorist attacks. You later said that you

didn't really know.

A statement like that, don't you see the possibility of

some Democrats being nervous about statements like

that leading them to the conclusion that you are not right

for being the next commander in chief?

DEAN: Well, in all due respect, I did not exactly state

that. I was asked on Fox fair and balanced news that...

(laughter) I was asked why I thought the president was

withholding information, I think it was, or 9/11 or

something like that. And I said, well, the most interesting

theory that I heard, which I did not believe, was that the

Saudis had tipped him off.

That amuses me how Dean tries to blame Fox News and paint himself as a victim of right-wong media when clearly the interviewer was referring to his statements on NPR's Dian Rehm Show!

Dean continues:

DEAN: We don't know why the president is not giving

information to the Kean commission. I think that is

supposed to be investigated by Congress. I think it's a

serious matter. I agree with Wes Clark, the president is

not fighting terrorism. And we need to know what went

wrong before 9/11.

I did not believe, and I made it clear on the Fox News

show that I didn't believe that theory, but I had heard

that. And there are going to be a lot of crazy theories

that come out if the information is not given to the Kean

commission as it should be.

Not only is this jack-ass trying to blame Fox, but he's also trying to say
he clearly stated he didn't believe the story. But on the NPR Dianbe Rehm Show which this interviewer was referring to, hge never made clear he didn't believe the theory he was repeating.

Dean just wanted to repeat and repeat a conspiracy theory to the public even though he himself thought it was not true.

Now I would expect all those people who were yelling about Bush supposedly leading people to believe Saddam was behind 9/11 - even though Bush never said that - to now be yelling at Dean for repeating unproven, baseless 9/11 conspiracy theories that he does not himself believe without making clear he does not believe them. Dean then bullshits when questioned about his attempts to promote conspiracy theories he doesn't himself believe.

Oh, and another major reason we're on our way to being safer thanks to regime change in Iraq is because the first democracy in an Arab, Muslim country in the Middle East is being established. Already the Iraqi Governing Council, although a merely an interim puppet government, is the most democratic government in all the Arab world. Which is more a comment on how bad the other Arab countries are. If a real democracy can be establioshed in Iraq, that will be revolutionary in changing the Middle East, and offering an alternative to dictators, royals, and fundamentalist freaks.

> Target is so much better than Wal-Mart where I don't find the prices that
> great. Plus the stores are filthy, the one by me looks a bomb hit it. I
> like Khols too. I read that the woman who was trampled at Wal-Mart was
> trying to scam them, she had about 6 lawsuits before against Wal-mart and
> other super stores. I hate Best Buys too but they have the best prices on
> appliances. I was with my B-I-L when he was returning something and it was
> like the Spanish Inquision so finally he said "they should call this
> worst buys. I guess you just had to be there.

Yeah, Target is a lot cleaner and nicer.

I go to Best Buy constantly for DVDs, CDs, and video games. I'm there like every week. I don't like how they treat you like a criminal and never have enough registers open even though they have ten million employees walking around. And I'd never ask someone there for help. But other than that, I like the store. Hey, it was Forbes' choice for "Company of the Year"!

> Yeah, Target is a lot cleaner and nicer.

> I go to Best Buy constantly for DVDs, CDs, and video games. I'm there like
> every week. I don't like how they treat you like a criminal and never have
> enough registers open even though they have ten million employees walking
> around. And I'd never ask someone there for help. But other than that, I
> like the store. Hey, it was Forbes' choice for "Company of the
> Year"!
Was it really. They do have good prices on DVD's and CD's and they did a good job installing my car stereo. I was there on the 23rd and every single register was open, and when I went on the 26th to use my GC's(I tend to lose them) they had 2 registers opened and the place was packed. At least there were cool people standing in line with us so that made the time go fast.

Re: Howad Dean the bullshitter

I remember seeing an interview Howard Dean did on Hannity and Colmes last year where he came across as a moderate, praising President Bush, and took some shots at Hillary and Bill. So much so Sean Hannity was kissing his ass.

A couple of points.

a) Jesus that post was long. Quite possibly the longest post to ever grace this message board. Then again, I didn't do a word count.

b) Well, some people have come out and said hundreds of thousands civilians have been killed in iraq since the invasion. I don't know how accurate that figure is, if at all, but it is being bandied around.

c) I'm not too sure on the promises on re-building Iraq. What's happened with the re-builing of Afghanistan? As I understand it, people are still washing the dust from their hair.

d) It seems more convenient for the Iraqis to hold the trial of Saddam as any chance of having tried in an international court would only give rise to the possibility of Bush, Blair and the Australian Bonsai being tried as war criminals as well.

e) Where is Saddam? For such an important issue, I haven't heard, read or seen anything since his capture. For all we know, he could be staying in the penthouse of the Trump tower with a remote control in one hand and a daiquiri in the other.

And if you're wondering where I stand in relation to the capture of Saddam; I'm happy. But isn't it a shame that all of this could have been avoided if the problem hadn't been supported by the international community initially? If the US has to clean up a mess that it originally contributed to, well that taints the good will.

> a) Jesus that post was long. Quite possibly the longest post to ever grace
> this message board. Then again, I didn't do a word count.

There's just so much evidence that the world is safer because of the regime change policy! I left some out. For example, we had to have troops in Saudi Arabia because when Saddam invaded Kuwait he also threatened to invade Saudi Arabia. Now that the dictator is toppled, the troops are leaving Saudi Arabia. The troops being in Saudi Arabia was a source of considerable anger amongst Muslim fundamentalists, and one of the main reasons bin Laden cited for mass murdering American civilians. I coiuld go on. Waiting for the evidence the world is less safe, and would've been safer had we followed the still undisclosed foreign policy the anti-war crowd advocated. Anyone? Bueller?

> b) Well, some people have come out and said hundreds of thousands
> civilians have been killed in iraq since the invasion. I don't know how
> accurate that figure is, if at all, but it is being bandied around.

Yeah, some people just make up reality off the top of their heads.
They were disappointed that hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians were not killed, so I understand.

> c) I'm not too sure on the promises on re-building Iraq. What's happened
> with the re-builing of Afghanistan? As I understand it, people are still
> washing the dust from their hair.

Afghanistan is certainly better off today than they were two years ago, but that country is pretty f***ed up. They're trying to emerge from the stone age! We should be doing more there though. That goes for the whole world, because Europe is being very lame about their commitments. It does make one hesitant to trust all the promises in Iraq, I agree. And it's too bad we've had such a struggle winning much of the world over to support liberation and democracy in Iraq. We sure did waste a lot of time arguing over whether or not Saddam breached 1441 when he never had even BEGUN to comply with it. Instead the whole world should've spent that time working together on how to help the post-Saddam Iraq, and the whole world should have stood with the Iraqi and Kurdish peoples all along. America and Great Britain are not the only countries that owe much to Iraq.

> d) It seems more convenient for the Iraqis to hold the trial of Saddam as
> any chance of having tried in an international court would only give rise
> to the possibility of Bush, Blair and the Australian Bonsai being tried as
> war criminals as well.

Ah, so Bush, Blair, and Howard are "war criminals." Well, you take that up with a court somewhere and see how far you get. Meanwhile, the rest of us will watch the genocidal, mass murdering maniac, Saddam, brought to trial for the crimes against humanity that he has committed and which would be continuing today if not for Bush, Blair, and Howard.

If Bush, Blair, and Howard are "war criminals", that's an example of where being a criminal is the right thing to do. If someone is interpretting international law to protect genocidal dictators who violate every obligation justly imposed on them, then I'd say there's not much use in international law. I believe the Coalition was enforcing international law and order, and to have let Saddam off scott free after all these 12 years would have been to say there is only the law of the jungle in this world and no such thing as international law. You see now that other motherf***er dictators are pooping their pants, like Qaddafi. America, Great Britain, Australia, Poland, Spain and the rest of the Coalition have made international law mean something...because they enforced it.

I really despise the kind of flippant stupid talk I hear constantly when to me this is about human lives not a game. Oh, Bush and Blair are war criminals too, blah blah blah. The end result of that kind of thinking is of course to let Saddam off the hook. Because evcerybody's just as evil as everybody else, and if Bush and Blair are war criminals too, and if America and Great Britain are the only countries willing to take Saddam down but they can't be backed becuase they are 'rogue states," well I guess Saddam stays for another generation of genocide. Congratulations.

Wesley Clark was on NPR last week. A caller tried to ask him what the truth is behind the British allegations that during the Kosovo operation Clark wanted to attack the Russians and potentially spark a world war. Clark dodged the question, saying "well, that's very complicated, and you'll have to read my book." But then he went into how proud he was for what he did in Kosovo, and said that such action is justified when there is ethnic cleansing. Gee, Clark, there was ethnic cleansing in Iraq, so it looks like by your own well-stated (and commendable) Kosovo policy, you are wrong to oppose the invasion of Iraq!

> e) Where is Saddam? For such an important issue, I haven't heard, read or
> seen anything since his capture. For all we know, he could be staying in
> the penthouse of the Trump tower with a remote control in one hand and a
> daiquiri in the other.

Last I heard he was being interogated in an undisclosed location in Iraq, and that eventually the Red Cross would be allowed to visit him just as they've been allowed to visit the other captured Baath sons of bitches. . Right now we're making him cough up answers. On Monday's news it was reported that Saddam is talking. That's a bit more important at the moment than you worrying your little head off over whether the big bad Americans are being meanies to him.

> And if you're wondering where I stand in relation to the capture of
> Saddam; I'm happy. But isn't it a shame that all of this could have been
> avoided if the problem hadn't been supported by the international
> community initially? If the US has to clean up a mess that it originally
> contributed to, well that taints the good will.

The U.S. was far from the only country that contributed to it. The U.S. changed its policy and took the dictator down, whereas certain other countries continued making oil deals and arms deals all through the 1990s and to the end. And, me? I take the side of liberators every time, thank you very much. And the idea I should want to block the liberation of Iraq because America's Iraqi policy has a long history, much of it shameful, and none of it pure, is ridiculous.

So...

Happy New Year to the Iraqi and Kurdish peoples!!! May the Baathists, the criminals they pay, and the Islamic terrorists they work with be soon defeated in their attempts to derail a new, democratic Iraq. May the new country you create be everything you have dreamed of for 35 long hellish years of enslavement. I'm rooting for ya!

Genocide Convention

Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide

Adopted by Resolution 260 (III) A of the United Nations General Assembly on 9 December 1948.

Article 1

The Contracting Parties confirm that genocide, whether committed in time of peace or in time of war, is a crime under international law which they undertake to prevent and to punish.

====

Glad someone enforced that in Iraq!

Re: Howad Dean the bullshitter

> I remember seeing an interview Howard Dean did on Hannity and Colmes last
> year where he came across as a moderate, praising President Bush, and took
> some shots at Hillary and Bill. So much so Sean Hannity was kissing his
> ass.

Dean isn't a normal Democrat, that's certainly a plus. Unfortunately he's terrible and full of shit on the central issue of this election, which happens to be an issue of life and death.

> Was it really [Forbes' choice for "Company of the Year"].

Am I the only one with a subscription to Forbes around here? = )

>They do have good prices on DVD's and CD's and they did a
> good job installing my car stereo. I was there on the 23rd and every
> single register was open, and when I went on the 26th to use my GC's(I
> tend to lose them) they had 2 registers opened and the place was packed.
> At least there were cool people standing in line with us so that made the
> time go fast.

A friend of mine met his girlfriend while browsing Best Buy. You know those DVD aisles can get tight sometimes, and you rub up against people.

I always think it's funny to see people picking DVDs at Best Buy, because they buy such retarded movies. Sometimes they're buying retarded movies they've never even seen before.

> There's just so much evidence that the world is safer because of the
> regime change policy! I left some out. For example, we had to have troops
> in Saudi Arabia because when Saddam invaded Kuwait he also threatened to
> invade Saudi Arabia. Now that the dictator is toppled, the troops are
> leaving Saudi Arabia. The troops being in Saudi Arabia was a source of
> considerable anger amongst Muslim fundamentalists, and one of the main
> reasons bin Laden cited for mass murdering American civilians. I coiuld go
> on. Waiting for the evidence the world is less safe, and would've been
> safer had we followed the still undisclosed foreign policy the anti-war
> crowd advocated. Anyone? Bueller?

What are you talking about? I just noted the length of your message...

> Yeah, some people just make up reality off the top of their heads.
> They were disappointed that hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians were
> not killed, so I understand.

That's quite selective don't you think? Believe those figures which support your argument and immediately dismiss information that is contrary? Like I said, I don't know how accurate those numbers are. Maybe they have credence, maybe they don't. I wasn't there doing a body count. I think the more reasonable count is around the 10,000 mark.

> Ah, so Bush, Blair, and Howard are "war criminals." Well, you
> take that up with a court somewhere and see how far you get. Meanwhile,
> the rest of us will watch the genocidal, mass murdering maniac, Saddam,
> brought to trial for the crimes against humanity that he has committed and
> which would be continuing today if not for Bush, Blair, and Howard.

Re-read the paragraph. It appears you are arguing for arguments sake. I never said that they were war criminals just that having Saddam tried in an international court could give rise to questions about the actions of the Three Amigos. From my understanding of international law, very little mind, if a country attacks another without an imminent threat against their security, it seen as an illegal act as stated in Nuremburg in 1948. I didn't write the legislation; I'm old but not that old.

> If Bush, Blair, and Howard are "war criminals", that's an
> example of where being a criminal is the right thing to do. If someone is
> interpretting international law to protect genocidal dictators who violate
> every obligation justly imposed on them, then I'd say there's not much use
> in international law. I believe the Coalition was enforcing international
> law and order, and to have let Saddam off scott free after all these 12
> years would have been to say there is only the law of the jungle in this
> world and no such thing as international law. You see now that other
> motherf***er dictators are pooping their pants, like Qaddafi. America,
> Great Britain, Australia, Poland, Spain and the rest of the Coalition have
> made international law mean something...because they enforced it.

Justified criminal behaviour? I wonder what Socrates would say about that...

The whole Gaddafi thing is fascinating. Do you think that after 24 years he's finally forgiven the US for killing his daughter?

By the way, Poland was not there out of choice. It was part of the agreement that they would participate in Iraq so they could get the planes which would allow them to join the EU this year. From what I've heard, Poland wanted to keep their involvement quite hush-hush.

> I really despise the kind of flippant stupid talk I hear constantly when
> to me this is about human lives not a game. Oh, Bush and Blair are war
> criminals too, blah blah blah. The end result of that kind of thinking is
> of course to let Saddam off the hook. Because evcerybody's just as evil as
> everybody else, and if Bush and Blair are war criminals too, and if
> America and Great Britain are the only countries willing to take Saddam
> down but they can't be backed becuase they are 'rogue states," well I
> guess Saddam stays for another generation of genocide. Congratulations.

I'll state what I said before. Bin Laden, Saddam, Gaddafi, Pinochet, Noriega, Soeharto were all supported in their positions. Why turn the blind eye one day and condemn them the next when they continue to do what they've always done? I don't think anyone would dispute that Saddam is a criminal, nor would they for the rest of those people mentioned but as long as the world says they're okay, they stay where they are so they can unleash "generations of genocide" as you say. Congratulations for allowing it in the first place.

> Last I heard he was being interogated in an undisclosed location in Iraq,
> and that eventually the Red Cross would be allowed to visit him just as
> they've been allowed to visit the other captured Baath sons of bitches. .
> Right now we're making him cough up answers. On Monday's news it was
> reported that Saddam is talking. That's a bit more important at the moment
> than you worrying your little head off over whether the big bad Americans
> are being meanies to him.

Really, your insulting sarcasm here is unwarranted. If you don't want to talk about this then stop. I'm not making this personal, why should you?

> So...

> Happy New Year to the Iraqi and Kurdish peoples!!! May the Baathists, the
> criminals they pay, and the Islamic terrorists they work with be soon
> defeated in their attempts to derail a new, democratic Iraq. May the new
> country you create be everything you have dreamed of for 35 long hellish
> years of enslavement. I'm rooting for ya!

I agree with you. Let's hope a prosperous democratic nation arises from the rubble. However, as things are going so far with Iraq having to foot the bill for the repairs to their country, local Iraqi workers not being employed in favour of expensive, imported help and the new flat-tax being imposed on the people, I have my doubts.

> Am I the only one with a subscription to Forbes around here? = )
I'm sorry Oaf, I realize I was your last hope. Would it help if I tell you I read it when I get my hair cut.
> A friend of mine met his girlfriend while browsing Best Buy. You know
> those DVD aisles can get tight sometimes, and you rub up against people.
thats why I avoid walking through the sci-fi section.
> I always think it's funny to see people picking DVDs at Best Buy, because
> they buy such retarded movies. Sometimes they're buying retarded movies
> they've never even seen before.
LOL very true, "Oh look Gigli $10"

the price of liberty

> What are you talking about? I just noted the length of your message...

> That's quite selective don't you think? Believe those figures which
> support your argument and immediately dismiss information that is
> contrary? Like I said, I don't know how accurate those numbers are. Maybe
> they have credence, maybe they don't. I wasn't there doing a body count. I
> think the more reasonable count is around the 10,000 mark.

What you said before was that you've heard the estimate of hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths "bandied about." I guess I was supposed to take that seriously.

I don't have time to answer your posting at the moment, as I'm being nagged to go to a restaurant. I've already researched the civilian death toll in the bombing and ground invasion, and for now I'd just like to ask you a couple quick and easy questions, and I'll come back and post again later tonight.

Before, you said you had heard the estimate of hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths "bandied about." Where did you hear this bandied about?

And, you say that 10,000 is "the more reasonable count." Why is that the more reasonable count? How did you arrive at that figure?

> Re-read the paragraph. It appears you are arguing for arguments sake. I
> never said that they were war criminals just that having Saddam tried in
> an international court could give rise to questions about the actions of
> the Three Amigos. From my understanding of international law, very little
> mind, if a country attacks another without an imminent threat against
> their security, it seen as an illegal act as stated in Nuremburg in 1948.
> I didn't write the legislation; I'm old but not that old.

> Justified criminal behaviour? I wonder what Socrates would say about
> that...

> The whole Gaddafi thing is fascinating. Do you think that after 24 years
> he's finally forgiven the US for killing his daughter?

> By the way, Poland was not there out of choice. It was part of the
> agreement that they would participate in Iraq so they could get the planes
> which would allow them to join the EU this year. From what I've heard,
> Poland wanted to keep their involvement quite hush-hush.

> I'll state what I said before. Bin Laden, Saddam, Gaddafi, Pinochet,
> Noriega, Soeharto were all supported in their positions. Why turn the
> blind eye one day and condemn them the next when they continue to do what
> they've always done? I don't think anyone would dispute that Saddam is a
> criminal, nor would they for the rest of those people mentioned but as
> long as the world says they're okay, they stay where they are so they can
> unleash "generations of genocide" as you say. Congratulations
> for allowing it in the first place.

> Really, your insulting sarcasm here is unwarranted. If you don't want to
> talk about this then stop. I'm not making this personal, why should you?

> I agree with you. Let's hope a prosperous democratic nation arises from
> the rubble. However, as things are going so far with Iraq having to foot
> the bill for the repairs to their country, local Iraqi workers not being
> employed in favour of expensive, imported help and the new flat-tax being
> imposed on the people, I have my doubts.

Re: the price of liberty

> What you said before was that you've heard the estimate of hundreds of
> thousands of civilian deaths "bandied about." I guess I was
> supposed to take that seriously.

What I said was "b) Well, some people have come out and said hundreds of thousands civilians have been killed in iraq since the invasion. I don't know how accurate that figure is, if at all, but it is being bandied around."

I admitted that that figure may not be accurate and not to be taken as gospel.

> I don't have time to answer your posting at the moment, as I'm being
> nagged to go to a restaurant. I've already researched the civilian death
> toll in the bombing and ground invasion, and for now I'd just like to ask
> you a couple quick and easy questions, and I'll come back and post again
> later tonight.

I hope you had a nice meal.

> Before, you said you had heard the estimate of hundreds of thousands of
> civilian deaths "bandied about." Where did you hear this bandied
> about?

I heard it on the recent Pilger documentary Breaking The Silence. It was said in the context regarding a dispute on the number of civilian deaths. He said some organisations are talking up to a hundred thousand had been killed but he also took the opinion that the figure was more than likely closer to 10 000.

> And, you say that 10,000 is "the more reasonable count." Why is
> that the more reasonable count? How did you arrive at that figure?

From a website called Iraq Body Count (www.iraqbodycount.net) (Imaginative address, no?). But it also seems to be the figure that most organisations seem to confirm. Whether they are just taking the figures from the same sources, who's to know? The Guardian has also spoken about that figure as being a reasonable possibility.

Re: the price of liberty

> What I said was "b) Well, some people have come out and said hundreds
> of thousands civilians have been killed in iraq since the invasion. I
> don't know how accurate that figure is, if at all, but it is being bandied
> around."

> I admitted that that figure may not be accurate and not to be taken as
> gospel.

Yes, and then you lectured me about how I dismissed the estimate of "hundreds of thousands" of civilian deaths because I was so biased and only interested in facts that support my point of view.

No, I'm just interested in reality. And in reality, hundreds of thousands of civilians were NOT killed in the bombing and ground invasion.

> I hope you had a nice meal.

> I heard it on the recent Pilger documentary Breaking The Silence .

Oh, well, that's a good source. The man who wrote pieces comparing Bush and Blair to Hitler back before the liberation of Iraq, and referred to the war on terrorism as a big lie because America is the "ultimate terrorist," I'm sure is a level-headed journalist who would only be interested in fair and honest truth.

So now we know where you turn first for your information. Now lets see what he said.

>It was
> said in the context regarding a dispute on the number of civilian deaths.
> He said some organisations are talking up to a hundred thousand had been
> killed

What organizations? What figure did they give? 100,000? 300,000? 900,000?? And how did they arrive at that estimate? Did they go to Iraq and survey hospitals and morgues and so forth? Or what?

Or could it be that some people just like the sound of the words "hundreds of thousands" when they're trying to scare people? I hear that a lot, ya know. We're gonna take down the Taliban. "Oh no, you can't do that! HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS will die!" We're gonna topple Saddam's regime. "Stop!! HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS will be killed!!!!"

And in general I hear lots of things "bandied about." Just the other day some crackpot on Yahoo Messenger was trying to "educate" me about how the PEntagon was not actually hit by a hijacked airplane on 9/11, but rather by a missile fired by the U.S. government. Yes, lots of shit is bandied about. But I'm more interested in reality, sorry.

>but he also took the opinion that the figure was more than likely
> closer to 10 000.

Ah. So even Pilger, who believes America is the ultimate terrorist in the world, and Bush and Blair are the new Hitlers...even he cannot give a figure above 10,000 without destroying whatever bits of journalistic credibility he believes he has.

And you know that Pilger is very interested in giving the highest possible death count he can. Because I remember him saying that "Oh, well, 3,000 people died on 9/11 and now over 3,000 died in Afghanistan, so you see, America is the same as Al Qaeda!" Paraphrasing, of course, but that's what he said. He really did. Pretty stupid and sick comment, but it does reveal how much he would like to be able to talk about hundreds of thousands of Iraqis being killed by the evil nazi American government.

> From a website called Iraq Body Count (www.iraqbodycount.net) (Imaginative
> address, no?). But it also seems to be the figure that most organisations
> seem to confirm. Whether they are just taking the figures from the same
> sources, who's to know? The Guardian has also spoken about that figure
> as being a reasonable possibility.

I don't believe you're correct that 10,000 is the figure most organizations confirm. Which organizations? All I can see from your posting is that if Pilger says 10,000 is the reasonable estimate then you instantly agree with him.

When I looked into this some months ago, I went to organizations such as Human Rights Watch and found widely cited articles from the Associated Press, L.A. Times, and the like, who went across Iraq surveying hospitals and so forth. I also remember going to the Iraq Body Count web site, and don't recall seeing the estimate of 10,000. My recollection is that the Iraq Body Count people stated that the *highest* estimate they could find was around 7,500 dead and 20,000 injured. I don't know if you just rounded that up or if they've updated since. The AP had concluded that *at least* around 3,500 were killed, and in reporting that they stated the real number is likely higher.

It's of course impossible to ever have an exact figure. On the one hand, Iraqi soldiers melted away wearing civilian clothes, so certainly some of them were counted amongst the civilian deaths. On the other hand, those doing the surveys of hospitals and so forth stated that some hospitals were left out, and maybe some people who had been killed were buried right away without anyone being able to count them. So, for those reasons and more, there's a significant plus-or-minus margin of error. There's also no way of knowing how many were killed by Coalition hands out of all those killed in the conflict, although to some perhaps that makes no difference. My conclusion is that the civilian death count may be as low as 5,000, but I've seen nothing anywhere which would indicate more than 10,000 were killed. So somewhere between there. Everything reported out of Iraq, from the actual attempts to count bodies, to what was reported out of cities during the bombings, where everyone could see that the civilians were not the targets, points to a very low civilian casualty figure considering the size of the operation.

Which makes it a truthful statement that the toppling of Saddam's regime did indeed save many lives.

Human Rights Watch did have one conclusion which people should be angry about. and that is the overuse of cluster bombs in civilian populated areas. They found that this caused hundreds of civilian deaths. So as astonishingly low as the casualties were, they could've and should've been lower.

I'm baffled by your original question as to why I dismissed estimates of hundreds of thousands. I used the estimate of hundreds of thousands as an example of PRE-war fear-mongering by those seeking to make the world too scared to topple Saddam, and that this pre-war estimate was fantastically off the mark. Which it was, as your own evidence bears out. I did not dismiss any post-war body counts of hundreds of thousands because I haven't actually seen any estimate that goes anywhere near that high. Maybe these obscure organizations Pilger refers to actually do exist, but if they do, you haven't mentioned them and I haven't seen them. I have seen NO reputable news source which has suggested that hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians were killed. I would think it would be hard to keep all those dead bodies a big secret. Whatever the case, until you actually cite a source which says hundreds of thousands were killed, don't lecture me about how I supposedly dismiss information that doesn't conform to my politics. Thanks.

America is right, you are wrong. : P

> Re-read the paragraph. It appears you are arguing for arguments sake. I
> never said that they were war criminals just that having Saddam tried in
> an international court could give rise to questions about the actions of
> the Three Amigos. From my understanding of international law, very little
> mind, if a country attacks another without an imminent threat against
> their security, it seen as an illegal act as stated in Nuremburg in 1948.
> I didn't write the legislation; I'm old but not that old.

If one views what happened in Iraq in 2003 as America looking around for a country it was mad at and just deciding for the f*** of it to invade, then yes, that would be a war crime.

But you know that's not what happened. I'm sure you're aware Saddam decided to invade a sovereign nation in 1991, attempted to annex it, and steal their oil. Then Saddam had to sign a cease-fire agreement with the coalition forces who ousted him, which was thereafter endorsed by the United Nations. You understand what a cease-fire agreement is, right? In order for there to be a cease0fire, Saddam had to comply with certain obligations, concerning matters ranging from his WMD and nuclear programs, to his support of terrorism, to the vanished Kuwaiti POWs, and so on and so forth. None of these obligations have ever been complied with. NONE. EVER.

So how can it be that you are trying to portray it as America just out of the blue attacking an innocent regime for sinister reasons? Are you some sort of liar? What gives? It's fine if you disagree with what happened, but don't play stupid about who started what and the whole long line of events.

You're getting that imminent threat thing from some UN thing which states that a country can make a preemptive attack in self-defense if there is an imminent threat. That's why the anti-regime-change protestors go on and on with the word "imminent" even though it's not relevant.

We didn't attack Saddam because he was an imminent threat. We attacked because after 9/11 the President, Congress, and a *unanimous* U.N. concluded Saddam was a real threat - particularly after 9/11 - due to his continued defiance. Then some of us (the President, Congress, some of the U.N., and an international Coalition) concluded that because Saddam was in total breach of 1441 we could no longer co-exist with Saddam, a threat we wouldn't wait to allow to become imminent.

We understood we could do so with a clear conscience because we'd also be stopping genocide, mass murder and torture (my argument is we are *obligated* under the Genocide Convention to interevene on genocide, but that wasn't Bush's argument). We also believed a final showdown was inevitable and ought to be on our terms. We saw how none of the other policy options were good for anyone except Saddam, the terrorists he supported, and those making corrupt and immoral arms and oil deals with him. And we concluded that it was time for the world to demand Saddam comply with his obligations or else.

While the UN *unaminously* declared Saddam a threat in 1441, and Saddam was in total breach of 1441, some members disagreed about how to react to his continued defiance. Those members who disagreed are now beginning to come around and work with us in Iraq, which would strike me as odd if America is such a war criminal rogue state doing something so immoral. But hey, you keep waiting for Bush and Blair and Howard to be put on trial...whatever!

To put it simply, after 9/11 we finally felt an urgency to enforce the obligations put on Saddam by the international community. Thus far, this appears to have been the right call.

The war in Iraq was begun by Saddam, we were always at war with Saddam since 1991, and all of our attacks were related to enforcement of Saddam's obligations. We set up no-fly zones - where bombing was going on all the time - to contain his agression and prevent genocide. We had Operation Desert Fox. Bill Clinton finally had to sign the Iraqi Liberation Act, which officially set U.S. policy as aiming towards regime change in Iraq. The big blunder was leaving Saddam in power in 1991. That merely put off the inevitable and caused tremendous pain, cost, and loss of life in the meantime.

It's funny when people think that just because they disagree with a policy that that makes it a "crime." No, that's just your opinion. There's no official body backing you up on that, as there is with the case of Saddam's war crimes and crimes against humanity.

And btw, things like Resolution 1441...they are the result of lots of negotiation as to the wording, and the end result is open to more than one interpretation. This was by design. America and Great Britain are on the more solid ground, however, because their actions have all been to enforce Saddam's obligations to the international community and are in conformity with the norms underlying international bodies such as the United Nations, which was created by nations fighting fascism in WW2 to prevent people like Saddam from doing what Saddam was doing.

It's nice that Bush worked through the U.N. at every step when he could have gotten away with not doing so (I don't know of any other country that works through the U.N. as much as America does). And it would've been nicer if a unanimous Security Council had backed the invasion. But if one member decides to veto anything without even reading it, I see nothing wrong with a Coalition being formed to act as long as it is acting to enforce the norms of the United Nations.

If not, we'd still have Milosevic and Saddam in power today. And then I'd ask, what good is international law, if it's being manipulated by corrupt people to protect genocidal war criminals? International law only means something if someone is willing to enforce it. The Coalition enforced it. Three cheers for the Coalition!

What Bush and Blair did (and I think this will be revealed in the future) was rescue the whole idea of international law, after so many people were scratching their heads over how, say, 800,000 people could be ethnically cleansed in Rwonda with the whole world barely raising an eyebrow. As a result of enforcing 1441, which was completely and 100% breached by Saddam and was his "final opportunity," North Korea decided it was better NOT to go through with an arms deal with Saddam; Iran and Libya decided to give in to inspections... Saudi Arabia is deciding to chill out on promoting terrorist ideas...Syria has decided to intercept money heading towards al Qaeda. Lets hear it for regime change!

Saddam was banking on certain countries and certain people in the West to help him make the U.N. blow off 1441. This strategy failed and U.N. resolutions now mean something. Three cheers for international law!

> The whole Gaddafi thing is fascinating. Do you think that after 24 years
> he's finally forgiven the US for killing his daughter?

I can't say I care if he's upset about anything. I'm just glad glad he's been frightened by the toppling of Saddam. Lets hear it again for regime change!

> By the way, Poland was not there out of choice. It was part of the
> agreement that they would participate in Iraq so they could get the planes
> which would allow them to join the EU this year. From what I've heard,
> Poland wanted to keep their involvement quite hush-hush.

Poland wanted to keep their involvement "hush-hush"?? Is that why they signed that wonderful "gang of eight" letter back in January asserting their support loudly and proudly? It caused a pretty big stir at the time. Remember when Chirac went off on European nations who disagreed with him? He scolded them for behaving badly, not being well brought up (hahaha!), and told them they should have kept their views on Iraq to themselves if they wanna be in the EU (I'd say that's a rather undiplomatic threat!). The "gang of eight" was then joined by Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia. 13 of the 18 countries were aspiring members of the EU, so it was a bold move on their part to piss off France and Germany.

I understand certain people with certain agendas wanna keep the statements of all these Coalition nations hush-hush because they want to propagandize about the war being "unilateral." But whatever. Can't rewrite history.

> I'll state what I said before. Bin Laden, Saddam, Gaddafi, Pinochet,
> Noriega, Soeharto were all supported in their positions. Why turn the
> blind eye one day and condemn them the next when they continue to do what
> they've always done? I don't think anyone would dispute that Saddam is a
> criminal, nor would they for the rest of those people mentioned but as
> long as the world says they're okay, they stay where they are so they can
> unleash "generations of genocide" as you say. Congratulations
> for allowing it in the first place.

Oh, *I* allowed it in the first place? When was that? When I was in my mommy's womb?

I hope someday you'll look at the new Iraq and rethink how you were so wrong, so you'll be on the right side in the future. = ) And then the next enslaved people getting their hopes up about the world taking down their enslaver will see marches across the world expressing solidarity with them, pledging to help those people rebuild and have a newe future. What a wonderful thought.

I don't remember ever petitioning my government to support any dictators.
All I remember was backing my government when they toppled Milosevic, the Taliban, and Saddam, and I thought they were way too late in all three cases. I've never felt more proud as an American than I am over what's going on in Iraq. And I think it's a good thing when a country changes its foreign policy away from backing a dictator and towards opposing him. I guess it's a bad thing to you.

> I agree with you. Let's hope a prosperous democratic nation arises from
> the rubble. However, as things are going so far with Iraq having to foot
> the bill for the repairs to their country, local Iraqi workers not being
> employed in favour of expensive, imported help and the new flat-tax being
> imposed on the people, I have my doubts.

The NY Times' Thomas Friedman recently wrote this:

>>>>>
[E]ven though the Bush team came to this theme late in the day, this war is the most important liberal, revolutionary U.S. democracy-building project since the Marshall Plan. The primary focus of U.S. forces in Iraq today is erecting a decent, legitimate, tolerant, pluralistic representative government from the ground up. I don't know if we can pull this off. We got off to an unnecessarily bad start. But it is one of the noblest things this country has ever attempted abroad and it is a moral and strategic imperative that we give it our best shot.

Unless we begin the long process of partnering with the Arab world to dig it out of the developmental hole it's in, this angry, frustrated region is going to spew out threats to world peace forever. The next six months in Iraq — which will determine the prospects for democracy-building there — are the most important six months in U.S. foreign policy in a long, long time. And it is way too important to leave it to the Bush team alone.

On Iraq, there has to be more to the left than anti-Bushism. The senior Democrat who understands that best is the one not running for president — Senator Joe Biden. He understands that the liberal opposition to the Bush team should be from the right — to demand that we send more troops to Iraq, and more committed democracy builders, to do the job better and smarter than the Bush team has.