Favorite non-Morrissey-penned love songs?

Paul Heaton

I forgot to add that PD Heaton writes some chokers too., 'Worthless Lie' being the most tearful for me.

Re: What's "winching"?

Snogging is tongues an' all, Paddy. Kissing I mean, not ermmm...other things with tongues
*getting hot under the collar*

> It's an ols scottish word for erm...snogging? is that what you call it
> now? or just going oot with a burd.

Re: Paul Heaton

> I forgot to add that PD Heaton writes some chokers too., 'Worthless Lie'
> being the most tearful for me.

Most of Heatons lyrics with the south make me laugh out loud more than anything, I think 'Worthless Lie' was Heaton finally owning up to a Moz influence.

Others include Squeeze 'Labelled With Love' and Elvis Costello 'I Want You'.

One of my favourite BS songs for humour is 'Straight In At 37'

"Simon Le Bon was round my house before
He was sick on the plants and he was sick on the floor
And he wouldn't go home until he'd sung his song
With a backing harmony from Paul Young"

> Most of Heatons lyrics with the south make me laugh out loud more than
> anything, I think 'Worthless Lie' was Heaton finally owning up to a Moz
> influence.

> Others include Squeeze 'Labelled With Love' and Elvis Costello 'I Want
> You'.

> One of my favourite BS songs for humour is 'Straight In At 37'

> "Simon Le Bon was round my house before
> He was sick on the plants and he was sick on the floor
> And he wouldn't go home until he'd sung his song
> With a backing harmony from Paul Young"

I haven't heard that song for years, its a B Side to Song For Whoever isn't it. He's always mentioning other people in his songs, usually taking the piss out of them, some other famous names include George Micheal, Bono, and Mohammed Ali.

One of the things which sometimes frustrates me about the south is that the music at times has no edge, which does Heatons lyrics a diservice really because they certainly aren't tame.

Re: Nice one Tommy.. I remember the question first time round..

Isn't "Every Breath You Take" about a stalker?

> I haven't heard that song for years, its a B Side to Song For Whoever
> isn't it.

Indeed it is, it also features on 'Welcome To...'

> One of the things which sometimes frustrates me about the south is that
> the music at times has no edge, which does Heatons lyrics a diservice
> really because they certainly aren't tame.

I think the melodies have gained them status with (being diplomatic) a slightly older listenership, but you're right, the lyrics still have a bitter and amusing edge that a lot of Terry Wogan fans won't understand.

Who did you prefer, Briana Corrigan or Jacqui Abbot?
Did you ever hear Briana Corrigan's solo album?

I think they did the best songs with Briana and her voice is more distinctive. Pity she left in a huff over Paul Heaton's lyrics really. I wonder what she's doing now.

Re: The Pimple? Or one of his buddies? Did Moz write it?

Yes... well, sort of...

Sting once said that "Every Breath You Take" was basically every love song he ever heard all rolled up into one... makes sense if you note all the lyrics... it also falls under the same general idea behind the whole entire "Synchronicity" album: nuclear war. He also said that each and every song was subliminally tied to the threat of WWIII with the Russians and U.S.A. - very heady stuff!!

cheers!

Definately Briana, her voice is very unique, I like unique voices. Yea I've got her solo album, its really good, got quite a celtic feel to it.

She became a bit alienated from the band in the end, it can't be easy for a woman having to tour with a bunch of lads, being typical lads. But as soon as she left they had all that success with the best of album which damaged her chances as a solo artist really, her record label expected her to naturally sell loads just because she had sung on these big hits with her previous band.

There is a reason why Jacqui left other than the diplomatic one which the band gave, but I haven't been able to prize it out of my sources close to the band.

One really funny story about Briana is when they were playing in France or somewhere, they were lobbing snowballs about, Briana threw one at a load of Turks or was it Greeks, about 15 blood thirsty men chased her through this subway, the band had to stand their ground and fight it out with them till the police arrived.

Don't know what she is doing now, last I heard she was doing a bit of acting, nothing I know of.

> Indeed it is, it also features on 'Welcome To...'

> I think the melodies have gained them status with (being diplomatic) a
> slightly older listenership, but you're right, the lyrics still have a
> bitter and amusing edge that a lot of Terry Wogan fans won't understand.

> Who did you prefer, Briana Corrigan or Jacqui Abbot?
> Did you ever hear Briana Corrigan's solo album?

> I think they did the best songs with Briana and her voice is more
> distinctive. Pity she left in a huff over Paul Heaton's lyrics really. I
> wonder what she's doing now.

Re: The Pimple? Or one of his buddies? Did Moz write it?

Listen anus,the only "stalker" I am...is of your mom...hell,she gives me good lovin...and,i can sell her and make some serious dough.

Re: Why yes,just like "I like to touch myself then jackoff baboons" was written for peter.

The lyrics alone are a true smash.

Re: Yes... well, sort of...

> Sting once said that "Every Breath You Take" was basically every
> love song he ever heard all rolled up into one... makes sense if you note
> all the lyrics... it also falls under the same general idea behind the
> whole entire "Synchronicity" album: nuclear war. He also said
> that each and every song was subliminally tied to the threat of WWIII with
> the Russians and U.S.A. - very heady stuff!!

> cheers!

>
Really, thanks for the info. Sting must be really worried about that because doesn't he also have a song about Russia?

Sting LOVES Politics

> Really, thanks for the info.

- cheers...

Sting must be really worried about that
> because doesn't he also have a song about Russia?

- yes he wrote "Russians" in his first solo effort in 1984's "The Dream of the Blue Turtles"... he wrote all of the songs for "Synchronicity" with The Police in 1983 - at the height of the Cold War - with the threat of a nuclear holocaust at its peak with Reagan (U.S.A.) VS. Breshnev (U.S.S.R.)

In the late 90's I had 2 Russian room mates who had defected from Moscow in the late 80's as teens avoiding the Communist Party military draft. They were VERY glad to be out of the Soviet Union and they both embraced American Pop Culture. They also got all the chicks at all the clubs we hung out at- seducing the babes with their thick Russian accents