Does anybody know what the 'nonsense' off the original records Marr was referring to?

Peterb

In the Marr interview he refers to "the 'nonsense' off the original records". I have to be honest I was not aware of anything superfluous on the Smiths originals. What is he talking about? Anyone?

Re: Does anybody know what the 'nonsense' off the original records Marr was referring

In the Marr interview he refers to "the 'nonsense' off the original records". I have to be honest I was not aware of anything superfluous on the Smiths originals. What is he talking about? Anyone?

I thought he meant Golden Lights, but it's still there :squiffy:

Re: Does anybody know what the 'nonsense' off the original records Marr was referring

Probably that annoying wide dynamic range.

Hey gperkins, pardon my ignorance but could you explain a bit what you mean by this?

The new remasters have been compressed, making them louder and less dynamic than the original LPs and CDs.

"Our new record, The Smiths, is a signal post in music! Good enough for Morrissey back then on the original vinyl. Good enough and still the best right now! The original always is.

"Our new record, The Smiths, is a signal post in music! Good enough for Morrissey back then on the original vinyl. Good enough and still the best right now! The original always is.

He quite famously thought the production made an utter shambles of their first album.

There's a lot of issues with the original production. However it is what it is, I think all told the RT releases may have been the best. The consensus I'm getting from people is that these releases sound great in many ways, but have a slight compression which is a problem for some.

There's a lot of issues with the original production. However it is what it is, I think all told the RT releases may have been the best. The consensus I'm getting from people is that these releases sound great in many ways, but have a slight compression which is a problem for some.

Yep. Adding bass AND compression makes for a thumpy, club-like sound that doesn't work here (or with the Beatles stereo remasters, for that matter.)

Back
Top Bottom