Did Morrissey really think that Vauxhall & I was going to be his last album?

B

Bellgerent Ghoul

"The resignatory feeling that permeates Vauxhall served as a tonic for the fame-weary Morrissey; while recording it, he felt sure that this was his last album - a delicate farewell."

Is the above taken from a Moz based website just opinion/speculation/conjecture, or does this have a basis in reality?

I recall Morrissey saying something to that effect. Can't remember exactly, but it seems like around 'Yer Arsenal', he said something to effect of 'Well, I'm going to do this one and one more'. I do remember that.

Today's Fun Fact: Robert Smith, on the other hand, has said "This album will be the last' for every album since 'Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me', and may be even before then- I only started listening to them circa 87.

Having said that, and given the quality of Southpaw Grammar (which I like) and Maladjusted (which I have severe reservations about) do you think it would have been best for Moz to say fairwell after Vauxhall?

> Having said that, and given the quality of Southpaw Grammar (which I like)
> and Maladjusted (which I have severe reservations about) do you think it
> would have been best for Moz to say fairwell after Vauxhall?

I agree with yr takes on those albums. Anyone, who's gonna hang around more than a decade is going to have crappy albums- Lou Reed, Iggy, Bowie, Neil Young, etc. I still think Moz has good music left in him.

I think that Maladjusted is a wonderful album featuring some of my personal favourite Morrissey tracks of all time. I am truly glad that 'Vauxhall...' was not his final work.

Back
Top Bottom