catching up

B

benny

(i no longer have a computer at home, so i only get to check this and other boards at work, so i'm going to give a little post to catch up on all the wonderful topics you've discussed over the weekend):

1- just because morrissey may not like the cure doesn't mean that all of you have to hate them as well. they certainly have proven themselves as longlasting as morrissey, and it doesn't make sense that you, as a fan, have to adopt his personal likes and dislikes. 'bloodflowers', which is to be the cure's last album, actually has some very pretty, thoughtful and deep lyrics on the subject of growing older and realizing that it's silly to keep trying to retain what you had in your youth. it's a sad album. i'm not a huge fan of theirs, but they have made some pretty good music over the years, and their current music can't really be compared to their earlier stuff any worse than morrissey's can be compared to his early stuff.

2- the 'rebels' (which thank goodness we don't have in nyc) sound like the same sort of immature doofi (that's plural of doofus) that become punks (which we have way too many of here). they don't realize that punk (or greaser) is way over, it died before some of them were even born, and they don't see the hypocrisy of criticizing or bashing 'conformity' while they conform to a very detailed set of rules and regulation on dress, style, musical tast, etc. kind of silly.

3- the worst morrissey fans? any under the age of twenty. no, twenty-five. (just kidding.) (sort of.)

4-why does 'kill uncle' get better and better? because when you bought it you listened to it for a month or two then let it sit on the bottom of the pile for years, and now, you are so *bored* with how bland morrissey's music has become that you are desperate for anything that doesn't sound like alain whyte's signature thump thump thump, and you are rediscovering an album that you didn't give much notice to the first time around.

5- the female equivalent of morrissey is AIMEE MANN.

goodnight and thank you...

benny :)^o

> 1- just because morrissey may not like the cure doesn't mean
> that all of you have to hate them as well.

they're easy enough to hate on their own merit

> 5- the female equivalent of morrissey is AIMEE MANN.

How do you reckon?

Stuart stays in and he thinks it's a sin that he has to leave the house at all.
stu1.jpg

ms. mann

> How do you reckon?

aimee has fashioned herself as a sort of tragic figure- she has been writing about the pain of love and heartbreak and longing since her first album with 'til tuesday, much like moz.

her lyrics are often poetic, as morrissey's are. they flow freely, sometimes rhyming and sometimes not.

she is a critical darling while not really catching on with the majority of music listeners.

if you listen to the 'magnolia' soundtrack, i think you'll see what i mean. her 'til tuesday album, 'everything's different now', is also excellent, as is 'i'm with stupid', one of her solo albums.

she's really excellent. if you haven't listened to her, you might want to check her out.

Back
Top Bottom