A Girl I Used To Know

M

Mindy

does this song really exist? i have a song downloaded under that title, but it sounds like f***ing jarvis cocker - not morrissey. (i do like pulp before anyone bitches at me.) what gives?

p.s. the song goes "oh melanie, you said i'm the worst thing that ever happened to you..."

i'm fairly sure it isn't moz.

It's definitely not Moz -- just some horrible imposter. I feckin' hate file sharing! You never know what you're gonna get. I downloaded a song that says it was New Order doing a Sex Pistols cover. Pfft...apparently I was stupid enough to fall for that. ::rolls eyes::

the suckiest was when i found a file for morrissey "my name is mortimer." i got all excited because that song's existence, as far as i knew, had been mythical. it turned out to be by some french dude named mortimer - which i guess makes sense because morrissey's version was meant to be a cover version of a song by a french dude. still, it was a big disappointment.

even so, i have had (limited) success with filesharing. i have probably close to 100 bootlegged songs. by no means an extensive collection, but it's still a fun thing to do.

> does this song really exist? i have a song downloaded under that title,
> but it sounds like f***ing jarvis cocker - not morrissey. (i do like pulp
> before anyone bitches at me.) what gives?

This 'Melanie' song is a real mystery. It's NOT Morrissey that's for sure, but it was played at least once on BBC Radio One in the UK as 'Morrissey's new single' (around the time of Sunny/Boxers if I remember rightly), and from the evidence at the start of the MP3 going around, on Dutch(?) radio, also as 'Morrissey'. Now, was the joke on the DJs (i.e. someone sent them this saying it was Morrissey) or were the DJs playing a joke on the listeners (ie, they knew who it was but thought it sounded a bit like Moz, so let's have a laugh)? I actually quite like it, and would love to know who it is ACTUALLY by!
I always though it would be a good joke for Morrissey to cover it in concert, and if he's doing Gilbert O'Sullivan covers, who knows...

The other thing is that this seems to have become associated with the title 'A Girl I used To Know', although it's not in the lyric and was not given as such when played on the radio. This was a previously rumoured Moz title and people seem to have lumped them together. So the possibility exists that there is still a lost song of that title somewhere in the vaults. Although, another theory is that this was the working title of 'You've Had Her', which would fit the lyrical thread.

A Stitch To Wear

that is precisely the version i have. and it really is a good song, which is why i havent deleted it yet. (im being very judicious in my downloads, getting only smiths and morrissey rarities/bootlegs at the moment - i can get in big trouble for downloading music at my uni, so i have to be sure it's worth it.)

Re: Ask Steve Lillywhite?

> It IS Morrissey. Ask Steve Lillywhite!

Well, I would, but he's not here right now, and I don't have his number.

Is there a source where he's confirmed that this track is Morrissey? And did he specify this song, or just the title 'A Girl I Used To Know'?

If it is Morrissey, then there is some very weird effect used on his voice.

Does anyone have a quotable, reliable source to either confirm or deny the authenticity of this track once and for all?

A Stitch To Wear

Are You Nuts?!!!

The "Melanie" track was a parody done by radio DJ Chris Moylse (I'm sure that's not how you spell it) who was taking the piss out of Morrissey.

It was broadcast by him just prior to Sunny was released and it immediately did the rounds among Moz fans who hadn't picked up on the original radio segment and jumped on it.

I can' believe anyone actually thinks it is Morrissey! It sounds nothing like Morrissey.

This thing raises it's head ever couple of years.

When I first heard the song I thought it was Moz trying to sound like Bowie.

Back
Top Bottom