14 June 1985 Opera House, Boston

SNS22

Not Dead Yet
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I8SOQNL1

Thanks As always to the providers (Recorders, Uploaders, Converters)...

Details Courtesy Of PassionsJustLikeMine.Com

14 June 1985
Opera House, Boston, USA

William It Was Really Nothing
Nowhere Fast
I Want The One I Can't Have
Jeane
What She Said
How Soon Is Now?
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Stretch Out And Wait
Shakespeare's Sister
Rusholme Ruffians
The Headmaster Ritual
Hand In Glove
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
/This Charming Man
//Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
//Miserable Lie
///Barbarism Begins At Home

In Boston, "Handsome Devil" was dropped from the setlist, but "Jeane" and "Barbarism Begins At Home" were added for the first time on this leg of the tour. The latter had been a regular when the band was playing in the UK, but it had been dropped when they crossed the ocean. "Jeane" had only been played for a few early dates, then shortly in 1984 and for some strange reason, ressuscitated in the States despite never having been released there.

This was one of the best gigs of the American leg of the Meat Is Murder tour. Boston loved the Smiths and the crowd gave the band a very enthusiastic and energetic welcome. The love must have traveled both ways because Morrissey made sure that the audience knew how much they were appreciated. The band came back for three encores before the end was brought by a massive stage invasion.

After "I Want The One I Can't Have", Morrissey said "Thank you, all you troublemakers. "How Soon Is Now?" was the song that broke the Smiths in the USA so it's no surprise it was wildly cheered as soon as the first notes were recognised. "Stretch Out And Wait" was unreleased in the USA at the time, Morrissey acknowledged this fact by introducing it with the words "This is one that slipped through the net... it's called 'Stretch Out And Wait'." The version performed in Boston was still the single version, not the alternate one with different intro the band would later be doing. After the song Morrissey thanked the audience again, this time with "Thank you for your support, thank you for your letters, they mean a great deal, thank you."

In "Miserable Lie", Morrissey cheekily changed two lines to "It means I'd like to be your underwear." After that song which ended the second of three encore, Morrissey expressed his love again "We love you, goodbye!" and returning for the final encore, added "Thank you, (...) you're so sweet, thank you."

Back
Top Bottom