YATQ

M

Murray

I have been a fan for almost 20 years, and I just picked up the new CD. I only listened one time, but I don't think it is his best work. Yes, I am glad he released a new CD, but I guess my expextations were higher. Or, maybe I need to listen through it again.

I am just cuious what some of the older Moz fans (30-40) think of the new work. Maybe since I am older, the music/lyrics don't strike me as much.

Thanks!

I'm 36. With some people, they attach certain feeling or events with music.
People love Hand in Glove because they remember their friends at that time
or Still Ill because of some job they had!

Morrissey is an artist! If I want a peek inside his head, I listen to
YATQ. Yeah, it may not be a pretty place to be, but I get it. I'm Not Sorry
expresses a sentiment I have at my age, and he expresses it so much better
than I ever can. Come Back to Camden is homesickness in verse beautifully done.

Listen to YATQ again, but do it not like some fawning fan or a disciple waiting
for instruction from his prophet. Hear it like hearing about an old friend.

His voice is better than ever, he still looks hot and his songs have relevence
now more than ever.

Great insight. I appreciate the comments. I will listen again tomorrow.

YATQ for thirtysomethings

I understand your point Murray but as an...er...old fan myself, I must say that YATQ is a very, very good album. It is flawed but, then again, I don't believe in perfect albums - THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS!

Like your good self, I had my reservations in the beginning but after living with the album for several days now I came to the conclusion that it definitely grows on you. There are no skippable songs (try that on Maladjusted) and it is very very accessible.

The only thing I hope for is that Morrissey finds tremendous encouragement from this success with YATQ to go on and make even better records. I mean, the guy self-sabotaged himself back in 1994 with all those cancelled interviews and concerts...

So, yes, sit back and enjoy it, mate...it's worth the wait.

Re: YATQ for thirtysomethings

I like your call.

It's not a perfect album, there really is no such thing. But there a hell of a lot of good tracks. At least half a dozen songs that are 9's and 10's in my book.