What book do I read next?

H

hnia

I just finished "the sheltering sky" by Bowles

I'm in the middle of my first Faulkner book, "Sanctuary"
and I'm ready to start another in about a week?

Nice Dream,
HNIA (I've thought about it, and i'm here for the long haul)

PS: i've read the little prince, moz

I suggest Microserfs by Douglas Coupland because you will find much attachment to those characters you geek! No better yet, I suggest you read The Adventures of Superman coloring book and when you get to page 5 with the color by mbers..it will all be red from me donkeypunching your face backwards you snufflelupagus humping struedel.
HNIA "waaa I'm leaving, boo hoo, waaaaaaa waaaa waaa (sniff)"

Welcome back chunky phlegm, now just go to hell dildo!
Morrissey would agree.

I can’t believe that Greasetea didn’t suggest the one book that I am sure he truly loves. "The Pimp" by Iceberg Slim is a good read. Now of course maybe Greasetea hasn’t read the book but I strongly suggest it to Greasetea and his minions.

I fully recommend anything by Nick Hornby, particularly his recent offer "about a boy" or his earlier work "High Fidelity". There are a ton of mentions about the SMiths and Morrissey in High Fideity and read it before John Cusack and Hollywood "americanize" the work. Film is supposed to be out this december.

you should read The Tin Drum by Gunther Grass. I'm reading a book right now but I forget what it's called. Herzog by Saul Bellow is it.

> I just finished "the sheltering sky" by Bowles

> I'm in the middle of my first Faulkner book,
> "Sanctuary"
> and I'm ready to start another in about a week?

> Nice Dream,
> HNIA (I've thought about it, and i'm here for the long haul)

> PS: i've read the little prince, moz

his earlier work
> "High Fidelity".

Oh that was a fine book. I liked how he wove in all those contemporary pop culture references. You know how in books the author will usually make up a name for a movie instead of using a real one ... BH talks about real films and tv shows and records. I love the main character's parents. "my dad's not too bright".

> I can’t believe that Greasetea didn’t suggest the one book that
> I am sure he truly loves. "The Pimp" by Iceberg Slim
> is a good read. Now of course maybe Greasetea hasn’t read the
> book but I strongly suggest it to Greasetea and his minions.

I'm not sure that would make a good companion to Faulkner and Bowles, but thanks,

Bored with Regions,
hnia

> I'm not sure that would make a good companion to Faulkner and
> Bowles, but thanks,

> Bored with Regions,
> hnia

Have you looked it up. Have you opened your mind and given it some time. True Faulkner is a literary master. Let me tell you something though. Iceberg Slim inspired many (Maybe none on this board). It's an autobiographical novel. It's pretty interesting. I would look at it as a true look into a pimps thought process and how pimps come to be. If anyone on this board is a fan of blacksplotation films, you would love this book.

Sanctuary is a marvelous book. Faulkner's "Light in August" could be your next one.

Anyway, there's a marvelous brazilian writer from the last century called Machado de Assis. If you'll find some translation (for example, from the romans "Brás Cubas", "Dom Casmurro" or "Esaú e Jacó") try to read it. He is unanimouslty considered the best brazilian writer ever.

> "Sanctuary"

> Nice Dream,
> HNIA (I've thought about it, and i'm here for the long haul)

> PS: i've read the little prince, moz

> Have you looked it up. Have you opened your mind and given it
> some time. True Faulkner is a literary master. Let me tell you
> something though. Iceberg Slim inspired many (Maybe none on this
> board). It's an autobiographical novel. It's pretty interesting.
> I would look at it as a true look into a pimps thought process
> and how pimps come to be. If anyone on this board is a fan of
> blacksplotation films, you would love this book.

blacksplotation films? I'll have to do a lil research on that one.

I did a quick search on the net and read a little blurb about it the
day you recommended it. I haven't ruled it out, I guess i'm looking
for a continuum, that's all. Plus, i thought you were being a lil nip sarcastic.

piece,
hnia

> Sanctuary is a marvelous book. Faulkner's "Light in
> August" could be your next one.

> Anyway, there's a marvelous brazilian writer from the last
> century called Machado de Assis. If you'll find some translation
> (for example, from the romans "Brás Cubas", "Dom
> Casmurro" or "Esaú e Jacó") try to read it. He is
> unanimouslty considered the best brazilian writer ever.

Machado de Assis! I'll check that one out.. I've considered light in august, i actually bought that book for a friend recently..

thanks,
hnia

> blacksplotation films? I'll have to do a lil research on that
> one.

Well, the films where mainly done in the 70's. Films like "Shaft" and the Cleopatra Jones movies. Those are probably the most known. There is also one I like called "Dolemite". I understand that they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. The films are pretty hilarious because of the dialog. Quentin Tarintino said that blacksplotation movies inspired him. So, if you don't like Tarintino movies I wouldn't bother.

> I did a quick search on the net and read a little blurb about it
> the
> day you recommended it. I haven't ruled it out, I guess i'm
> looking
> for a continuum, that's all. Plus, i thought you were being a
> lil nip sarcastic.

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic. I re-read my post and it defiantly could have been taken that way.

> "Sanctuary"

Sanctuary is great!

I'm reading Austen's "Mansfield Park," only because I loved the film and wanted to compare and contrast. It's "ok"
so far. I like the movie a lot more.

And I'm ready to pick up the second volume of that 2-part Elvis bio. The first part was "Last Train to Memphis" from a few years ago. The author is Peter Guralnick (sp?) I think, but I may have forgotten.

Though mostly - for the past couple years at least - I read science books. Which are really way more exciting than most of the rest of the jive booksellers are stocking. So sad that they hide their best books at the back of the stores....

Back
Top Bottom