"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" video

The Seeker of Good Songs

This video was shown on VH-1 Classic's "Classic-Current" program, followed by Morrissey's "The Youngest.." video.I never knew there was one for "TIALTNGO" and had never seen this video before . The band was not in it at all, and it was actually a little difficult to see what was going on in the video by some of the affects that were in the "foreground."

The Seeker of Good Songs said:
This video was shown on VH-1 Classic's "Classic-Current" program, followed by Morrissey's "The Youngest.." video.I never knew there was one for "TIALTNGO" and had never seen this video before . The band was not in it at all, and it was actually a little difficult to see what was going on in the video by some of the affects that were in the "foreground."

Yes, that video as well as some others (The Queen is Dead and Panic) were directed by Derek Jarman. I think he also did Ask as well. If I remember the video right for TIALTNGO, someone was laying in the back seat of a car.

Anyway, they are featured on a video/DVD entitled Smiths: The Complete Picture. Or go to the VH1 website and search Smiths. They have some videos to view.

Last edited:
mozmic_dancer said:
Yes, that video as well as some others (The Queen is Dead and Panic) were directed by Derek Jarman. I think he also did Ask as well. If I remember the video right, someone was laying in the back seat of a car.

Anyway, they are featured on a video/DVD entitled Smiths: The Complete Picture.

It did feature a person lying down, if they were in a car I don't know. The person was an androgynous type, in "boxer type shorts" only, which appeared to be sleeping and I thought was just a still, until the person opened it's eyes. The background imagery showed what appeared to be an auto traveling and the view out it's window...driving past buildings, etc. The very end though was imagery of firemen trying to extinguish an auto fire, after a crash, presumably.

Throughout the entire video was a golden-orange "wavy" affect that made the "driving" hard to focus on.

I'm a VH-1 CIassic addict so I got to see the video numerous times in the past 4 days. I've aIways Ioved this video for some reason, maybe cause it's so eerie..... it goes reaIIy weII with the song in my opinion! by the way I'm pretty sure the person Iying down is a guy.....a very cute one!

Does anyone else think, like me, that those Derek Jarman videos are absolute crap?

Those "abstract, arty" ones.
They do nothing to/with the songs.

Were these videos made after the fact because I don't recall these at all in the 80's on 120 Minutes and all those shows where I would have seen them?

dallow_bg said:
Does anyone else think, like me, that those Derek Jarman videos are absolute crap?

well, what videos do so?

dallow_bg said:

I don't like them either. The one for 'The Queen Is Dead' is especially strange. This is the one where there's a kid doing grafitti.

I don't rate this video much ... several minutes of a sleeping boy in boxers doesn't really compliment my favourite song.
The one i've seen most on the music channels is 'There Is A Light...' using the video to 'Stop Me...'; the images fit well over the music, but it's meaningless as a narrative (as most video's are these days anyway) because it was made for another song.
I've no idea what i'd've done for TIALTNGO, but it would have had a damn sight more thought than Jarman put into that effort. Now if it'd been Moz in his boxers in the video, things would be different.

wolve said:
well, what videos do so?

You know very well that there are some music videos out there that are fantastic.
Not only as a visual feast, but to bring new meaning to songs.
Or it can simply make you laugh.

I'm not a big fan of music videos in the first place, but I would have preferred concert footage to what Jarman made.

The Seeker of Good Songs said:
I don't recall these at all in the 80's on 120 Minutes

It made the rotation once or twice: I first saw the video on 120 Minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes. I used to stay up late with my VCR to record videos for my collection and I missed taping the intro to the song because I was so shocked. I had no idea a promo of the song even existed.

It's an absolutely brilliant video. I don't think it's arty or pretentious at all, although, of course, it's hardly a good promo video in the traditional sense (promoting the band, namely). The languid expression on the boy's face, his head folded on his arms, his naked body, the boxer shorts, the golden waves...that is an excellent evocation of the emotions one might have while either thinking the lines in the song or, at another remove, listening to the song itself. I'm guessing that footage (sans waves) would pass as hidden-camera footage stolen from most Smiths fans' bedrooms.

The rest of Jarman's Smiths videos aren't that interesting. "The Queen Is Dead" captures some of the song's manic anger, which is nice, but mostly they're not all that thrilling. Tim Broad was far more empathetic to Morrissey's concept of the band. In the end the only remarkable part of Jarman's work for The Smiths was that the featurette was shown before Alex Cox's "Sid & Nancy" in a few moviehouses.

Is that really a boy in the video? I would have bet money it was a girl. The person looks a bit "fleshy" under the armpit area, in some of the scenes, like that is a breast all squashed down.

The whole idea of not know makes it a bad video for me then. If I can't tell a boy from a girl...what good is it!? :p

The actor was probably chosen for his androgynous look. Beyond the testimony of my own eyes I'd say it's a boy because, well, the director was Derek Jarman.

I saw the "There Is A....." video again today on VH-1 cIassic's Tuesday 2PIay......it came after How Soon Is Now......both vids are awsome. I can't beIieve peopIe here don't seem to be fond of it......I'm a fan of Jarman's SMITHS videos, this one in particuIar I just Iove!

Back
Top Bottom