"There is a light..." discussion on Sirius interview #4

The Seeker of Good Songs

download of the interview:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8OJR60WO

my approximate transcript:

Richard Blade: Why are you still popular after all these years.

Moz: I think it’s quite largely because of the way I behave and because they know the reality of how I feel about myself as an artist and I think if you are an artist who conveys a great deal of love and devotion and so forth that’s what you have in return and if you don’t, if you just slap a video together and you do the clichéd rock and roll thing then you just get the clichéd fans, so um I think I think they secretly know how I feel and they know I’m serious and they know I’m here for a good reason. I think…I hope.

B: I think so….Now we are gunna play a number of songs probably one of my favorite songs and the lyrics…

M: I’ll probably disagree with you…

B: yeah well (laughter) …The lyrics…is amazing when I heard this it dragged me back to the age of 15

M: yeah…so far

B: yeah, so far (laughter) and that date that you go on that is so perfect that you just don’t think life could get any better than this and that’s the song “there is a light that will never go out”

M: oh yes

B: So many people hear this and think it’s depressing when its in fact, I think, completely the opposite.

M: Well, the right people like it

B: So do you like this song looking back at it over the years

M: I love it, yes

B: Was there a moment like this in a darkened underpass that the chance had come…

M: far too many moments yes ..there still are.

That interview was first broadcast on KROQ back in 1990, I think it was. Maybe even 1989. It's cringe-inducing. Blade was way out of his depth. It was in this interview that Morrissey tricked him into saying he loved George Eliot, male novelist.

Still, at the time it was one of only a handful of interviews I had on tape. I played it dozens of times. In the end, Blade wins because although I don't like him he is nevertheless an inextricable part of my memories. The f***er.

Thank you for uploading and the transcript!!!

It's very enjoyable.

Did I miss # 2? :confused:

Ah, this is part 2!? I thought it is part 1. I'm blind as a bat. :rolleyes:

Thanks for helping! I found #1 now. :)

Back
Top Bottom