Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Aly Panic

Slap Me On The Patio
I was litening to Zane Lowe on Radio 1 earlier and he played a cover of 'Stop Me.........'
Anyone know who has covered it?

"Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" was covered by Vision on the 'punk' cover compilation "The World Still Won't Listen".

It's not that one. Zane Lowe's tracklisting for last night should be posted at some point today.

It's is by the DJ Mark Ronson, with Daniel Merryweather on vocals. It's from his forthcoming album the Version. It's good.

From the Zane Lowe page www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/zanelowe

HOTTEST RECORD IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW
Mark Ronson – ‘Stop Me’ (Virgin)

...Looks like they've dropped the rest of the title.
One of the best Smiths covers, he'll probably play it again tonight.

More info...

www.markronson.co.uk
Another album highlight is the soulful, stellar Motown revival of The Smiths’ classic ‘Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before’ that merges into ‘You Just Keep Me Hanging On’ and features the vocals of Australian talent Daniel Merriweather.

"With my first album, I had all these people like Mos Def and M.O.P guesting. This time it’s not about that. Despite the big names, it’s about the songs... the songs here are the guest stars," says Mark. "With ‘Version’ I’ve taken these songs that I love and turned them into Motown/Stax 70’s versions. I keep the utmost respect and appreciation for the original versions of songs I use. It’s not like I’m thinking it’s a shit song that I can make good, it’s more like it’s a great song and I’m now going to make it bounce."

The album ‘Version’ is released on April 16th.
New Double A-Side Limited Edition 10" Vinyl is Released January 29th.

I heard a live version by Coldplay. I regret hearing it, but alas, I cannot forget!
Truly Awful.

Jo Wiley played it this morning, I think Radio 1 will pick up on this and it'll end up in the top 10.

I've just watched it performed on T4 and felt the need to register to a forum just to voice my disgust. Every iota of wit, venom and self-pity has been sucked out and replaced with the buffoonish superficial sincerity of a blowhard. The "R'n'B" of 2007 has nothing to do with Motown, just as this cover owes more to Blue than The Temptations. As I recall the Smiths original (though I think I've listened to more than one recording) had about 13 guitar tracks creating the symphonic depth and texture that made the Hated Salford Ensemble so affecting. This Ronson character reduces the song to facile hip-hop rhythms and faux-classical Saga radio strings. I loathe the Metallica-esque mentality that translating the notes of rock guitar to a classical instrument lends the music any more gravitas. It's a cretinous and flimsy approach to music.
It should never have happened.

The worst part about it is the singer singing it as though it's deadly serious. The song is a satire on relationships, something perhaps the producer realised with the inclusion of the Supremes song but the singer seems oblivious to the words he's singing.

ohhhh why has;nt this thread been merged with the other 'stop me' cover thread. ohhh board favour!! ohhh

Back
Top Bottom