Star spotting in London

V

Vauxhall Driver

It's a funny old town ain it ! !

Because I come from a shitty north eastern town I just can't get over it when I spot "stars".
The other week in London town I spotted that Russ guy (the geordie bloke with messy hair) who is sometimes is on Have I Got News For You and I spotted the serious guy off the office.
It's crap that I don't know their names but it's not everyday you see someone off the telly in Leeds.
Gordon "Krypton Factor" Burns' daughter used to live next door to me and I met him once.
Has anyone else spotted any crap stars around?

Vd

Aye, quite a few. I've been here nearly 4 years. I'm trying to think if I've seen anyone who isn't naff. Except for our Boz. And I once stood at the 100 Club bar with Charlie Harper ( UK Subs singer for my younger readers) on one side of me, and Mark Perry ( Alternative TV) on the other side.
That was a 25th. anniversary bash of the seminal 1976 Punk fest at the same venue. Mark Lamarr was there and and and AND Jo Guest ( gasp! pant!). Even better in the flesh, by the way.

Noel Gallagher and Alan McGee walked past me at a Hives concert just before last christmas. Gallagher actually gave me a wee nod. He must do that to everyone.
OK, the naffers. Russ Abbott, Christopher Biggins. Lee Evans ( some people might think he isn't naff, but I think he is complete and utter shite). Paul Weller ( ditto). John Inverdale. Robert Powell. Stan Collymore. And did I mention Noel Gallagher?

I also saw that Jose guy from SATH. Mind you, that was at a SATH gig at the underworld. Don't suppose that counts really, does it? If it does, then I've seen Mozzer 7 times here! Yeeee-haaaaaa!

Jo Guest at a punk gig??????????

Jo Guest was at a punk gig?

My goodness, that woman is nothing short of amazing... and I'm truly not being sarcastic. It's easy to portray women like Jo as dumb blondes... I always thought there was something more to her.

> Has anyone else spotted any crap stars around?

> Vd

During my recent trip to London, walking near Carnaby Street late one night, I was unfortunate enough to see Martin Clune who was filming something or other. To answer the question, yes, he is that ugly in real life.

I saw a few others but I wouldn't classify them as crap.

s6j_02_01.gif

> During my recent trip to London, walking near Carnaby Street late one
> night, I was unfortunate enough to see Martin Clune who was filming
> something or other. To answer the question, yes, he is that ugly in real
> life.

> I saw a few others but I wouldn't classify them as crap.

Or rather, more appropriately...

s5i_02_02.gif

> Aye, quite a few. I've been here nearly 4 years. I'm trying to think if
> I've seen anyone who isn't naff. Except for our Boz. And I once stood at
> the 100 Club bar with Charlie Harper ( UK Subs singer for my younger
> readers) on one side of me, and Mark Perry ( Alternative TV) on the other
> side.
> That was a 25th. anniversary bash of the seminal 1976 Punk fest at the
> same venue. Mark Lamarr was there and and and AND Jo Guest ( gasp! pant!).
> Even better in the flesh, by the way.

> Noel Gallagher and Alan McGee walked past me at a Hives concert just
> before last christmas. Gallagher actually gave me a wee nod. He must do
> that to everyone.
> OK, the naffers. Russ Abbott, Christopher Biggins. Lee Evans ( some people
> might think he isn't naff, but I think he is complete and utter shite).
> Paul Weller ( ditto). John Inverdale. Robert Powell. Stan Collymore. And
> did I mention Noel Gallagher?

> I also saw that Jose guy from SATH. Mind you, that was at a SATH gig at
> the underworld. Don't suppose that counts really, does it? If it does,
> then I've seen Mozzer 7 times here! Yeeee-haaaaaa!

To think you were at that gig in the Underworld and you never said hello!! We were pissed and stoned though.. I have recounted celbes of the C-list variety a lot.. like I said Norm Watt-Roy bass player with the blockheads on Tuesday was a nice expereince. Theer was bloke I was talking to in the bar who loved the UK subs by the way.. and you mention them here.. twice in a week.. I was more of an Upstarts fan..
Ruffian

> It's a funny old town ain it ! !

> Because I come from a shitty north eastern town I just can't get over it
> when I spot "stars".
> The other week in London town I spotted that Russ guy (the geordie bloke
> with messy hair) who is sometimes is on Have I Got News For You and I
> spotted the serious guy off the office.
> It's crap that I don't know their names but it's not everyday you see
> someone off the telly in Leeds.
> Gordon "Krypton Factor" Burns' daughter used to live next door
> to me and I met him once.
> Has anyone else spotted any crap stars around?

> Vd

Well here goes.Whilst living in London I spotted George Cole (great actor),Carol Smiley(very attractive),Garly Linekar (football Mr Nice Guy).

My favourite though was the guy who played the part of Ken in Citizen Smith!!!He was also in "Last Of The Summer Wine".

In Edinburgh it has been somewhat duller. J.K Rowling and Fish from Marillion....oh and a few Hibs players.

> Well here goes.Whilst living in London I spotted George Cole (great
> actor),Carol Smiley(very attractive),Garly Linekar (football Mr Nice Guy).

My most recent was seeing Prince Naseem the other day.. posing in his jeep in Soho.. with a 'Public enemy' style entourage.

> My favourite though was the guy who played the part of Ken in Citizen
> Smith!!!He was also in "Last Of The Summer Wine".

That is so credible!! He had the look of an indie songwriter if there ever needed an appropriate casting for one.. POWER to TOOTING!

> My most recent was seeing Prince Naseem the other day.. posing in his jeep
> in Soho.. with a 'Public enemy' style entourage.

> That is so credible!! He had the look of an indie songwriter if there ever
> needed an appropriate casting for one.. POWER to TOOTING!

Oh Ruffian. The catchphrases were "Power To The People" and "Freedom for Tooting"!You're using a mixture of both:)

I have another one...Kevin Rowland(Dexys) in Brighton. Top man. Barking Mad!

Re: Jo Guest at a punk gig??????????

> Jo Guest was at a punk gig?

> My goodness, that woman is nothing short of amazing... and I'm truly not
> being sarcastic. It's easy to portray women like Jo as dumb blondes... I
> always thought there was something more to her.

Well, you were right. She's great. I know I mentioned it before but honestly, she is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful in the flesh. She was standing around at the 100 Club, smoking fags and drinking beer. Really pleasant looking and completely relaxed.

She had a guy with her who didn't look too happy every time Mark Lamarr appeared. Which was often.

I was really surprised to see her there, as I thought she was too young to be into punk. Apparently, though, she has an uncle who was forever playing punk stuff when she was growing up. I got that information from someone I was talking to at the bar.

So there you go. Viva Jo!!

> That is so credible!! He had the look of an indie songwriter if there ever
> needed an appropriate casting for one.. POWER to TOOTING!

If "Ken" was in a indie band he would be in either Dodgy or the Frank and Walters.

> To think you were at that gig in the Underworld and you never said hello!!
> We were pissed and stoned though.. I have recounted celbes of the C-list
> variety a lot.. like I said Norm Watt-Roy bass player with the blockheads
> on Tuesday was a nice expereince. Theer was bloke I was talking to in the
> bar who loved the UK subs by the way.. and you mention them here.. twice
> in a week.. I was more of an Upstarts fan..
> Ruffian

Aye, I bodyswerved you at the SATH gig when I saw the state you were in.
I had my punkiest month in years back in July. Three gigs - the banshees, the damned, and the pistols.
I didn't hear too much of the upstarts. Only 'liddle towers'(a classic) and 'england',which I liked, even though I'm not english!
Another one-off that I loved was ' I'm not a fool' by the cockney rejects. God, I love that song. I've got it on a tape somewhere. I'll have to dig it out. When Moz played 'East End' on the pre-gig tape in 99, I was praying for 'I'm not a fool'. But it wasn't to be. I never followed them up album-wise. Maybe I should have, because I loved 'flares and slippers' as well.

Cheers.

Re: Jo Guest at a punk gig??????????

Mark Lamarr. What a wank stain.

Back
Top Bottom