Sanctuary blows it again - DVD single

• Thread starter Running from the I.R.S.
  • Start date
R

Running from the I.R.S.

Happy me, as I arrived home to find a package from HMV. My bundle of the various formats of the new single.

This turned quickly to frustration when I plopped the "DVD Single" into my DVD player and the message on my screen tells me: "Playing this disc prohibited by area limits."

That's funny, since on the DVD itself it says "All Regions."

All regions except my poor lil Sony player, apparently.

What gives? It must have something to do with this "PAL" term I see written next to "All Regions". Am I supposed to study up on all these technie terms before ordering a release? Like I f***ing know what "PAL" means. It means it doesn't play on my player. Fine, message recieved, loud and clear, although a bit late. So why didn't they just say that: "WARNING: This shit don't play on your shit!"

Fortunately it does play on my computer. But that's pretty half-assed if you ask me. I'm a laptop boy. I don't have nice speakers hooked up.

But then, of course, a "DVD Single" is pretty half-assed to begin with. What a shame, as the radio session of "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small" is arguably superior to the already excellent studio version.
Perhaps this radio session will turn up on a proper CD someday. Perhaps there'll be a new "Hatful of Hollow" down the line. People complain about too many compilations, but those compilations sure do make things easier.

With all that said, I do like the videos. They're not a waste of time. One could say they're superfluous when you have the full concert on DVD, but this video (either one) is easily his best video ever, and makes a nice lil Cliff's Notes to the full DVD. If it were played on MTV, Morrissey would sell another 100,000 copies of "Quarry" in a New York minute.

That's moot.

It won't be played on MTV.

Nor will it be played on my Sony player.

I'll play it a few more times on my laptop and file it away where it will collect dust.

My advice is to just get the CD single and nothing more, unless you have a fetish for vinyl like I do. Definitely skip the DVD single if you're in the USA. I'm an easy touch and I've let Sanctuary rape my wallet yet again. You can be stronger and say no.

Noise is the Best Revenge - What do people think of this?

This is the first time I've heard the song.

I do like the lyrics a lot. I take it the meaning is Morrissey is responding to all the shit he's been dragged through in recent years by making a little noise.

That's cool.

Too bad Boz and the boys didn't write any good music to go with it. It sounds like f***ing generic dull sounds sounds I might hear from 98.5FM, the local classic rock station, or even worse, a high school "battle of the bands" contest.

It doesn't mean the song doesn't have potential. I thought the same on the early versions of "I Like You," but on "You Are The Quarry" the song blossomed into something special.

"It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small" on the Janice Long sessions is way better. Still haven't heard "I'm Playing Easy To Get" yet. Is there a link to an MP3??????????

Did Boz write the music to "Noise is the Best Revenge"? I'm starting to worry about Boz. Lets hope Alain has spent his time on sabbatical writing an entire album's worth of music.

Re: Noise is the Best Revenge - What do people think of this?

tyhe fact that the song is still enjotable despite the crap music backing it just goes to show how great a singer Morrissey is.

But yeah...some of the recent b-sides show the band is in need of new inspiration.

Lets face it, "The Slum Mums" was a piece of turd. That was recorded after the "Quarry" session I believe.

"Public Image" was quite nice, OTOH. That was recorded when Alain was still around, right? The harp was nice.

We need Alain back, that's all I'm saying.

> Too bad Boz and the boys didn't write any good music to go with it. It
> sounds like f***ing generic dull sounds sounds I might hear from 98.5FM,
> the local classic rock station, or even worse, a high school "battle
> of the bands" contest.

Amen, brother. If I were any more in agreement then it would be 97.5FM (our classic butt-rock station).

> Did Boz write the music to "Noise is the Best Revenge"?

Boz co-wrote "Noise," "Playing Easy to Get," and "The Public Image." He co-co-wrote "Slum Mums" with Gary Day.

Neither Alain nor Jesse are credited as playing on "The Public Image," but Jesse is credited on "Slum Mums." So portions of them must have been re-recorded during or after last summer when Alain was absent.

Cheers,

Jamie

> Boz co-wrote "Noise," "Playing Easy to Get," and
> "The Public Image." He co-co-wrote "Slum Mums" with
> Gary Day.

> Neither Alain nor Jesse are credited as playing on "The Public
> Image," but Jesse is credited on "Slum Mums." So portions
> of them must have been re-recorded during or after last summer when Alain
> was absent.

> Cheers,

> Jamie

What do you think of Slum Mums and Noise?

Slum Mums is one of those rare Moz songs that fails to grab me AT ALL.

Back
Top Bottom