Rockabilly's of the world united.. Sheps Bush.. Setzer

R

Ruffian

Notes from last night..

"Ahh, Setzer.. It was a laugh I must say.. so many rockers there.. are you aware of the old disputes between followers of music/fashion that used to take place in the 60's?.. and particularly Bank holidays down at Brighton?.. it entered British folklore for a while that a trip down to the coast on a Bank holiday was to have a fight because of this 'style split' in this era.. and of course this was visually re-inforced by photos in the British press.. the famous battles on Brighton sea front in the 60's.. between Mods and Rockers (as popularised by the film 'Quadrophenia').. So last night was very much a night in the 'Rockers' camp.. The girls looked great.. all done up in 60's hairstyles.. like film stars from that period.. in dresses to match or leather biker jackets.. the guys had tattoos and T-shirts.. hair gelled into quiffs.. or in 60's crew cut style... Chisel jawed and handsome like extra's from (remember that cult film called the Outsiders).. White T-Shirts stretched across muscular torsos, in tight jeans and leather or white sleeved college jackets.. (excuse that outpouring of homo eroticism there.. Don't know where that came from!) ... Anyway, me and my mate Gray were a bit of outsiders ourselves.. especially Gray with his long barnet. So much so he considered going to pony tail mode so he didn't stand out too much in the crowd.. And then, when he was getting the beers in, it sort of all 'went off' next to me.. A bit of trouble.. Big Bloke wanted to have it with some quiffed up guy in a baseball jacket.. The whole situation was saved by the bouncer.. phew.. I was bracing myself for a bit of ballroom blitz action or like the gym scene between the Jets and Sharks from 'West Side Story'.. and getting glassed with a plastic mug (fortunately glass is outlawed in some London venues!!)

Brian Setzer rocked and rolled.. the Grandaddy of rockabilly.. And he is an amazing guitarist I must say.. lightening fingers.. Some old and new and classic Stray Cats to share with the crowd.. The Tennessee guy on stand up slap bass was amazing.. his solo and his image was so damn cool... The drummer looked like a cross between Buddy Holly and Elvis Costello.. but was equally competent.. Songs such as 'Don't touch me there', 'Rock This Town', 'Rumble In Brighton', 'Stray Cat Strut', and a powerful encore of 'Runaway Boys'.. made it a good night.. and then fell out of Shepherds Bush into the arms of Mohicans and rockabilly's carrying us all the way to Charing Cross.. and home.. "

Back
Top Bottom