Ringo's solo catalog now on iTunes

Which makes him the third Beatle whose solo work is available there. If you only know Ringo by "Yellow Submarine" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" (or even being name-dropped in Moz's "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small"), you should know that Ringo had some damn good solo output--"It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph" are easily among the best of any solo Beatles output, and the Ringo and Goodnight Vienna records are polished and fun to listen to. Even Beaucoups of Blues and Sentimental Journey (his country & western and oldies records, respectively) are pretty decent. I won't vouch for anything that he did after 1976, though.

I also noted a couple of omissions, such as Ringo's Rotogravure, Ringo the 4th, and Stop and Smell the Roses.

I'm still eagerly waiting for George's entire catalog to show up on iTunes, not just Living in the Material World.

Well, and it's about time! $0.99 on iTunes is a price I'd gladly pay for Ringo's back catalogue.

What? You mean...$0.99 for each of his songs?

I kid. I'll take your word that he's had some good stuff. And I got a chuckle this morning out of the Ringo Star article on cnn.com in which he said, "George Harrison would write most of the song, and then people would say I was the genius!" Uh, Ringo...

Also, you have to love showbiz. Talking of Dylan, he said that the aging star would sound brilllant onstage one night and totally abysmal the next. He saw nothing wrong with this. Trilled Ringo, "But he had a No. 1 album, and that's what it's all about!"

Last edited:
Which makes him the third Beatle whose solo work is available there. If you only know Ringo by "Yellow Submarine" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" (or even being name-dropped in Moz's "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small"), you should know that Ringo had some damn good solo output--"It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph" are easily among the best of any solo Beatles output, and the Ringo and Goodnight Vienna records are polished and fun to listen to. Even Beaucoups of Blues and Sentimental Journey (his country & western and oldies records, respectively) are pretty decent. I won't vouch for anything that he did after 1976, though.

I also noted a couple of omissions, such as Ringo's Rotogravure, Ringo the 4th, and Stop and Smell the Roses.

I'm still eagerly waiting for George's entire catalog to show up on iTunes, not just Living in the Material World.

So let's be real... we know that the Beatles are coming...
What do you think iTunes is going to offer? I thought that they have a done a decent job so far with the McCartney, Lennon and Starr catalogues... Harrisson is perhaps next... and then obviously the Beatles ...

AND... they will be DRM free... so what bonus features will they offer?

What do you think iTunes is going to offer? I thought that they have a done a decent job so far with the McCartney, Lennon and Starr catalogues... Harrisson is perhaps next... and then obviously the Beatles ...

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I already have every one of the canonical 217 original songs, plus all of the Anthologies, Live at the BBC, Love, Yellow Submarine Songtrack, plus scads of bootlegs. Unless they plan to release ALL of the EMI tapes (which would be absolutely groundbreaking), or some live shows, I don't see what new material they could offer. There aren't any rumors of remastering going on, AFAIK.

Of course, if they came out with Beatles-branded iPods (like the U2 one a couple years ago), I'd be that much poorer. Especially a Rubber Soul or Revolver-branded one.

Well, according to the latest press release found here, it seems most of the legal arguments are settled and they are shooting for something by the end of this year and well into early 2008.

As far as bonus stuff, I'm not sure. With the Anthology series 1, 2, & 3 released, as well as the remixed soundtrack for "Love", it seems just about everything the Beatles made have been released in some form or another.

However, if anyone at Camp Beatle is reading this, I would like to hear the never-released, but widely-discussed in Mark Hertzgard's excellent book "A Day in the Life; the Music and Artistry of the Beatles" the infamous rehersal tape of one of the songs off Rubber Soul. According to Hertzgard, a tape was left running while the Beatles rehearsed one of the songs off that album in chance that some of that recording would be used for the Beatles' Fan Club annual Christmas message.

Alas, it was never released probably due to the herb-inspired tomfoolery that went on in that session, beginning with Paul announcing that he "just came from Mount Olympus... I just lit the torch", John giving an off-the-cuff and out-of-his-f***in' head sermon :) and other classic nonsense that would sure to go down as classic Beatle comedy.

The trend seems to be exclusive video....

I am hoping however for something like... "Let it Be.... Naked" which was a a bit more stripped down than the final album. Remastering WOULD be nice. I listen to "Rain" and it sounds a bit too tinny.

There are people who scream and say that you cannot touch them because the Beatles made them that way and thats the way they were meant to be. I say "bullshit" to that. The Beatles were very much into experimentation with their music and they created music to the best of their ability with the technology that they had back in the day. If Lennon was alive today... I would bet that he would utilize the majority of mixing equipment that was not available 40 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom