"A swallow on my neck"

• Thread starter Stefan Johnsson
  • Start date
Re: Morrissey and Rockabilly

I too am intrigued by Morrissey's fascination with primarily British subcultures like skins, rockers and mods etc. I don't know that he has ever said anythig about teds. I did think it was cool that the guys wore Londsdale shirts in the "We Hate It..." video. That was a cool little pro-Brit culture thing there.

Stefan, if you'd like to discuss the rockabilly scene and rockabilly music some more feel free to e-mail me directly. I've got the english spelling of your name - Steven (i guess they are related, right?) I'd like to hear about the European scene and I can let you know about what goes on here in the states. PLus I 'm in a rockabilly/psychobilly band here in NYC and maybe you can introdue us to the European scene! Just kidding, kind of.

Later.

Steve.

Re: so they say

¿ rockabilly..well, what is he? I guess he doesn't really have to¿ be anything but... i Just looked at a website that classifoed morrissey as..Gothic/pop/rock... now they got maybe 1/3 of that right nut the rest...i dunno. I think alot of his songs sound rockabilly-ish ecspecially on live in dallas. Has morrissey ever been asked what he clasifies it as? I would say its just unique/brilliant/no claassification just great.

> I am really surprised that he is ever categorized as¿ "rockabilly" by people in the music business. I guess¿ that just shows how little they really know about music, but we¿ already knew that!¿ Do you remember which mags in particular referred to him this¿ way? They probably did it just because of the hair.

i remember rolling stone especially when he had malajusted come out i believe

morrissey friends

> he is classified as rockabilly by most music magazines and¿ companies

The media always said "Morrissey, the British pop icon."

Re: Morrissey, Rockabilly and Teddy Boy's

> Does anyone know if Morrissey has ever mentioned Teddy Boy's? I¿ have never read any such mention, but it would be very¿ interesting to know if anyone else had.
-------------
In his famous "shaggy dog" story about the worst night of his life, which he spent running from "beer monsters" with James Maker, he mentions getting lost in the country and stunbling across a house owned by an elderly Teddy Boy in blue suede shoes.

Re: Morrissey, Rockabilly and Teddy Boy's

> -------------¿ In his famous "shaggy dog" story about the worst night¿ of his life, which he spent running from "beer¿ monsters" with James Maker, he mentions getting lost in the¿ country and stunbling across a house owned by an elderly Teddy¿ Boy in blue suede shoes.

When you mentioned it I remember that I have read that story. Thanks for reminding me.

so many illustrations

Back
Top Bottom