"Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12, 2013 reminder / reports

Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths - The Culture Show, BBC 2

Sun 12 May 2013
23:00
DURATION: 30 MINUTES (stream on iPlayer through May 19, region restricted)

UPDATE May 13:

MP4 format download provided in the Downloads forum by 6084615.

It's 30 years since Manchester four-piece The Smiths changed the face of British pop with their debut single Hand In Glove. In this half-hour Culture Show special, fellow Mancunian and lifelong fan Tim Samuels sets out to find out why The Smiths have such a special place in the hearts of a generation of Brits. The Smiths were only around for five years in the mid-eighties, but to this day the sentiment their music evokes is strong. Samuels pays visits to a variety of dedicated fans including fashion designer Wayne Hemingway, poet Simon Armitage, Labour MP Kerry McCarthy and Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher to analyse the look, the lyrics, the issues and the riffs that made The Smiths Britain's first, and arguably best ever, indie rock band.

Related item:

Last edited:
Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

If this show had been about a band in England with Caribbean, Asian or African heritage this would, at some point, have been examined. Is it because The Smiths were white that they can be so easily considered wholly English. Morrissey, Marr, Joyce and Rourke (the latter two completely ignored in the show) are absolutely not 'quintessentially English' names but represent the Irish in England and this show could have allowed itself to entertain the notion that all that 'outsider' 'miserable' stuff could be sourced in the immigrant experience. The members of The Smiths were growing up in the 1970's when racism in England against the Irish was rife and generally acceptable. I suppose one way to escape it was to become 'more English than the English themselves'. The inclusion of Mayo's Noel Gallagher and the avoidance of the 'Irish question' drove the point home. This would also apply to the Lennons, McCartneys, Lydons, Costellos, Bushs etc. of the English music scene.

Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

I think all us Smiths fans knew there was nothing new on here. But as it was for the general public...at least The Smiths weren't badly represented. I do think the whole Amy Lame thing is still creepy though *shivers*

Didn't it also say in the documentary that Morrissey or The Smiths didn't feature in any of the artwork? I'm sure Morrissey appeared in at least one artwork for a single because they couldn't get the rights to the picture. I forget what it was for though! It might just be me going insane though I suppose after tonights miracle.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think all us Smiths fans knew there was nothing new on here. But as it was for the general public...at least The Smiths weren't badly represented. I do think the whole Amy Lame thing is still creepy though *shivers*

Didn't it also say in the documentary that Morrissey or The Smiths didn't feature in any of the artwork? I'm sure Morrissey appeared in at least one artwork for a single because they couldn't get the rights to the picture. I forget what it was for though! It might just be me going insane though I suppose after tonights miracle.

Yep, Terence Stamp disapproved using his photo on What Difference Does It Make? sleeve, Morrissey's photo was used on the sleeve.

However, in the end Stamp gave a permission.

Yep, Terence Stamp disapproved using his photo on What Difference Does It Make? sleeve, Morrissey's photo was used on the sleeve.

However, in the end Stamp gave a permission.

Thank you Kewpie! :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom