Moz At Glastonbury

J

Johnny

Just managed to catch up with this.I thought Morrissey's performance was a amazing.His voice has improved beyond all recognistion in recent years.

I don't really relate to a lot of the negativity surrounding the set list.Everyone knows that Morrissey does not play long gigs and that the set list seldom changes so this is information we know in advance.

I guess if I was going to every gig on every tour then I would crave some kind of alteration but in reality most people get to two or three gigs maximum on any given tour.

Personally,I was ecstatic to be there in person to hear songs like "Rubber Ring"."Headmaster Ritual" etc.

He is never going to please everyone with a set list culled from a body of work going back 20 years but I was delighted to hear songs from the new album.

We were all quick to condemn the lack of new material over the last several years so isn't it understandable that when Moz releases his first album in 7 years that he wants to sing some of those songs ?

YATQ is a brave and forward looking album.It's not the "Vauxhall and I 2" album that many have been clamouring for and I am glad of that.

I am happier to hear "Let Me Kiss" you at a gig than "Suedehead" or "November" which we have heard dozens of times over the years.

Congratulations also to the guy who is standing in for Alain.I think he is doing a sterling job and filled the void admirably at Glastonbury.

It seems strange that at a time when Morrissey's start has so seldom been in such ascendancy that his staunchest fan base seems to be so highly critical of virtually every aspect of his work.

I have never defended his every move(as most of you know)and the board should be an open forum and not a meeting point for pointless ageeing sessions,but I am baffled by a lot of the criticism.

I just happen to think there are some bad songs on the new album. Simple as that. The humour, pathos, and compassion all seem to have been replaced with old-fashioned moaning.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm rather fond of moaning myself (you probably haven't noticed), but Moz does too much of it on YATQ for my liking.
If he mentions anyone with any connection to the law, finances, or whose job entails wearing a uniform again, I'll thcweam and thcweam and thcweam until I'm thick!!
Where has the humour gone? Not so much for myself (I don't like laughing), but for others who love him for his dry wit.
It's all very well hearing some between-song banter at a gig. But we want it IN the songs!!
I've heard it a thousand times but I still pish my pants at something like 'nothing appears to be between the ears of the lazy sunbathers' and other classic lines.
Okay, have a wee think about that. Oh, and Bluenose says you're a bawbag.

> Just managed to catch up with this.I thought Morrissey's performance was a
> amazing.His voice has improved beyond all recognistion in recent years.

> I don't really relate to a lot of the negativity surrounding the set
> list.Everyone knows that Morrissey does not play long gigs and that the
> set list seldom changes so this is information we know in advance.

> I guess if I was going to every gig on every tour then I would crave some
> kind of alteration but in reality most people get to two or three gigs
> maximum on any given tour.

> Personally,I was ecstatic to be there in person to hear songs like
> "Rubber Ring"."Headmaster Ritual" etc.

> He is never going to please everyone with a set list culled from a body of
> work going back 20 years but I was delighted to hear songs from the new
> album.

> We were all quick to condemn the lack of new material over the last
> several years so isn't it understandable that when Moz releases his first
> album in 7 years that he wants to sing some of those songs ?

> YATQ is a brave and forward looking album.It's not the "Vauxhall and
> I 2" album that many have been clamouring for and I am glad of that.

> I am happier to hear "Let Me Kiss" you at a gig than
> "Suedehead" or "November" which we have heard dozens
> of times over the years.

> Congratulations also to the guy who is standing in for Alain.I think he is
> doing a sterling job and filled the void admirably at Glastonbury.

> It seems strange that at a time when Morrissey's start has so seldom been
> in such ascendancy that his staunchest fan base seems to be so highly
> critical of virtually every aspect of his work.

> I have never defended his every move(as most of you know)and the board
> should be an open forum and not a meeting point for pointless ageeing
> sessions,but I am baffled by a lot of the criticism.

I don't disagree that there are some rougher tracks on the LP, but let's face it, when have there not been at least a few.

The humour is most definitely to the fore on 'Daddy's Voice', I just LOVE this song. He still has IT.

We're bound to disagree with one another about the best lines and best songs and best albums. It'd be boring if be didn't. The thing that's shocking and completely beyond the pale is the suggestion that Morrissey should retire because he's embarrassing them. Maybe they enjoyed the comfort and safety of moaning about a seven year wait and now it's over and they actually have to engage with new things they don't like the discomforts that are part and parcel fo being a Morrissey fan. Who knows. Whatever their reasoning it's just appalling and a thousand miles away from preferring one style of lyric to another.

Don't you think Crashing Bores is funny? I think that song is basically him taking the piss out of his own moaning. OK, it's not laugh out loud, more wry smile type stuff.

I agree he does go on a bit too much about the court case and accountants but I'm hoping he's got it out of his system now so will be able to move on with the next album ;-)

> Don't you think Crashing Bores is funny? I think that song is basically
> him taking the piss out of his own moaning. OK, it's not laugh out loud,
> more wry smile type stuff.

> I agree he does go on a bit too much about the court case and accountants
> but I'm hoping he's got it out of his system now so will be able to move
> on with the next album ;-)

We often interpret songs differently which is fair enough, but I don't see any humour in 'Crashing Bores' at all. And I don't think he's taking the piss out of his own moaning.
I reckon he's simply having a good old moan about things and people that bug him.
Anyway, as you say, let's wait and see with the next album. See you here for a discussion about it in 2011? No, wait.....I'll be dead by then.

> I don't disagree that there are some rougher tracks on the LP, but let's
> face it, when have there not been at least a few.

> The humour is most definitely to the fore on 'Daddy's Voice', I just LOVE
> this song. He still has IT.

I haven't heard 'Daddy's Voice' yet. Or any of the current b-sides. Or songs like 'striptease with a difference' etc that were available to download a while back. I cannae do the computer stuff.
I thought my mate Bluenose might have got them all together on a cd for me, but she hasn't.

*sobs quietly into his guinness*

> We often interpret songs differently which is fair enough, but I don't see
> any humour in 'Crashing Bores' at all. And I don't think he's taking the
> piss out of his own moaning.

"You must be wondering how, The boy next door turned out, Have a care, But don't stare, Because he's still there, Lamenting...

...This world is full, So full of crashing bores, And I must be one.."

Seems pretty clear to me ;-)

> "You must be wondering how, The boy next door turned out, Have a
> care, But don't stare, Because he's still there, Lamenting...

> ...This world is full, So full of crashing bores, And I must be
> one.."

> Seems pretty clear to me ;-)

Well, we obviously don't have the same sense of humour, Danny. My pants remain bone dry.
Cheers.

set was way too short 49m when he was alloted one hour 15m.......

abused the crowd a lot and generally didnt get into the gig signalling to boz to cut it short.

worst morrissey gig since the national stadium debacle in 1990,and ive been to 25 gigs in between.....

daddys voice is substandard.

> set was way too short 49m when he was alloted one hour 15m.......

> abused the crowd a lot and generally didnt get into the gig signalling to
> boz to cut it short.

> worst morrissey gig since the national stadium debacle in 1990,and ive
> been to 25 gigs in between.....

> daddys voice is substandard.

abused the crowd? really?

Re: bye bye bertie

> set was way too short 49m when he was alloted one hour 15m.......
> abused the crowd a lot and generally didnt get into the gig signalling to
> boz to cut it short.
> worst morrissey gig since the national stadium debacle in 1990,and ive
> been to 25 gigs in between.....

why did you go/listen to morrissey in the first place?

Substandard to what exactly? It's a great song and thoroughly deserves the first song billing it has recently had. Listen to the John Peel session version if you can.

> Substandard to what exactly? It's a great song and thoroughly deserves the
> first song billing it has recently had. Listen to the John Peel session
> version if you can.

daddys voice is a dagenham dave,hopefully it will never see the light of day.

> Well, we obviously don't have the same sense of humour, Danny. My pants
> remain bone dry.
> Cheers.

Crashing bores = shit.

> Crashing bores = shit.

I think it's shite as well, GR. But each to their own. I'm very liberal. Some say TOO liberal.

Back
Top Bottom