Morrissey's Statement

He seems to be arguing that they changed their questions to him, such as changing "you sound like my parents" to "you sound like a Tory" - but he doesn't seem to be disputing that he said what he said. He just doesn't think it was offensive. I don't think it's offensive either, but some people do - and that's why the NME has an opening to attack him.

Ah well, another day, another controversy. All is well in Morrisseyland.

Well, if it is true the NME changed his responses, edited and re-ordered their questions then I think Moz has a huge complaint. His statements were taken out of context for the express intent of slandering him. I've never read an article in which the interview literally stops and there is editorializing mid way through. It was a bizarre read.

Those of you who know me know I'm not a Morrissey apologist my any means. I am often very critical of him, but it really appears he has a solid case. Merck and company seem to have all the tapes, e-mails, etc.. I would find it difficult to believe they would move forward with a legal case if they didn't think Morrissey could win. The alternative: losing the case would be humiliating for Morrissey. If the NME article had an ounce of truth, then Morrissey would have simply called them liars and issued a statement, not sought to proceed in a legal setting (IMO).

You may be right, Peter, but you can also read that as two writs against the NME and Conor as joint defendants. I don't know.

Re: "I WON'T LET THIS PASS"

monty%20python%20and%20the%20holy%20grail.jpg

Well, if it is true the NME changed his responses, edited and re-ordered their questions then I think Moz has a huge complaint. His statements were taken out of context for the express intent of slandering him. I've never read an article in which the interview literally stops and there is editorializing mid way through. It was a bizarre read.

Those of you who know me know I'm not a Morrissey apologist my any means. I am often very critical of him, but it really appears he has a solid case. Merck and company seem to have all the tapes, e-mails, etc.. I would find it difficult to believe they would move forward with a legal case if they didn't think Morrissey could win. The alternative: losing the case would be humiliating for Morrissey. If the NME article had an ounce of truth, then Morrissey would have simply called them liars and issued a statement, not sought to proceed in a legal setting (IMO).

The sad thing is, if Morrissey is that determined on this, and pays Merck and the lawyers enough money, they will carry on championing him even if they know he doesn't stand a chance in court. If the best they can come up with is, they changed a word from "parents" to "Tory", he doesn't have a leg to stand on. If that really is the size of it, NME are laughing at him today.

Also, Morrissey is a powerful personality. From his history it's clear people become a bit carried away with supporting him. He has that sort of effect on people. What if Merck is just getting carried away with defending Morrissey? What if the pair of them are egging each other on? It's Morrissey that stands to lose everything, not Merck who is a very rich man indeed, much richer than Morrissey. Remember, if he loses in court he has to pay NME's expenses.

Sorry if this has been posted before, and also for the slightly cropped bottom first column. Note the comment by the NME at the end - two writs - one against the NME, and one against Conor McNicholas.
2086436169_83918018a4_o.jpg

Peter

I love that photo! How could anyone question that silly face?

I feel that it would be silly for Morrissey to go to court and the best thing he can do is attack NME from within the music and pop culture world. I feel this way because it seems to me that participating in the legal battles is supporting or expressing a belief in the way that they operate. It is employing judges, lawyers, and clerks - all of whom basically make up an establishment and system that Moz has expressed little faith in and even contempt for... so whey add to their business?

I loved his statement very well written of course. I'll always support him, looking forward to hearing new music later this year.

The primary purpose of Morrissey's statement is an opportunity to state his views about the decline of the NME as a magazine he used to regard as one of the best. He has a long history with the NME going back to his childhood and apparently it's vitally important to him to go at length about how the magazine has gone down the tubes.

I've never thought Morrissey is a racist and it's unfair for him to be labeled one. Being labeled a racist is one of the most terrible things a person can be branded with (if you agree with me that being a racist is one of the stupidest things in the world). One of the reasons it's so unjust to label someone a racist without a sound basis is because once the media label you as such it tends to follow you around forever even if it is absolutely untrue.

But over the years Morrissey has had a lot of strong feelings boiling up inside him about immigration and foreign influence in Britain, and this does relate to race. His statement doesn't make anything clearer about such things.

Does Morrissey feel there are too many foreigners being let into England? Does he feel there's too much foreign influence on English culture? What immigration policies does Morrissey support? What are the flaws of current immigration policies, in Morrissey's opinion? Morrissey is clear that he despises much of American "cultural imperialism" (Estonia should be locked in the past for tourists no matter how much cunsumers there vote with their pocketbooks for the new changes taking place). How does he feel about Islamic "cultural imperialism"(honor killings in London, for example)? Does Morrissey feel immigrants from vastly different cultures should integrate more than they currently are? Or, by integrating more are they becoming too British and forgeting about their heritage? What does Morrissey feel about immigrants with violently anti-British views stemming from their religious extremism being given haven in Britain?

There's no obligation for Morrissey to make his views on these matters more clear, or for him to have an opinion on any of them at all. But he has said things that put some of these issues on the table for discussion and his statement today doesn't have anything to say about them.

That said, it is frustrating to many of us to see the hyper-PC attempt to make people afraid of speaking their minds about immigration-related issues out of fear they'll be labeled a racist. Immigration-related issues have big impacts on cities and countries and people should not be made afraid to discuss such matters if their feelings step one centimeter away from the politically correct dogma.

While I don't see racism in Morrissey's heart, or any reason to suspect he doesn't judge individuals as individuals , and while I don't think Morrissey needs to "prove" anything to the NME, it is odd that Morrissey seems to believe that liking foreign movies, liking some authors who have dark skin, liking this or that artist from the Middle East, or stating that he'd like to perform a concert in Iran, proves the falsity of the NME editor's speculation that Morrissey is okay with people of certain races, ethnicities, or cultural backrounds but wouldn't want to live next door to them. There are many racists who like specific athletes, singers, writers, etc., of the race they dislike.

Again, I don't think Morrissey has to prove he's not a racist, and I recognize how difficult it is to prove you're not one when a magazine decides to engage in a campaign to accuse you of it. People should be careful before labeling others a "racist," and such a label is often thrown about loosely as a weapon against anyone who says anything at all you dislike, or just for being someone you'd like to demonize for other reasons.

But what does Morrissey's statement actually "prove" beyond that he is not an overt racist?

Furthermore, what does contacting "Love Music Hate Racism" after a controversy is brewing and promising to provide space in your advertisements and booths at your gigs prove? If he had done it last year, it would prove a lot. Doing it this week just proves he wants to suck up to an anti-racist group after a magazine accused him of being racist. In his favor, he has endorsed this group before, and it's not really the equivalent of Don Imus running to appear on the Al Sharpton Show. But the larger steps he's doing to show his support are all after the controversy erupted.

Most of what I'm writing here is not intended as an attack on Morrissey, but just to offer something other than the fawning over the statement that many of his most worshipful fans are engaging in. The statement's agenda is primarily focused on Morrissey telling the NME that he thinks they have been wrecked and making sure his current views on the music press and the music industry (two topics that are most important to him) are part of Morrissey's record, not on making his views on immigration clearer. He also engages in some personal attacks on Tim Jonze that are amusing but don't amount to much. It's not actually a crime to not know one of Morrissey's favorite Bowie songs, though no doubt Morrissey thinks it is.

Wow. That's a very good post. I have to say that I actually agree with most of what you have to say here.

well that is fine because I admitted to wearing robes and beads around my neck and sitting watching videos of one of the most attacked people - from both the left and the right - one of the most spiritually incorrect and controversial mystics of our time - putting myself and my views in such a vulnerable position - in the direct line of fire... that anybody who wishes to quote my read on it would be a fool - given how unbulletproof I made myself through admissions on this board. If the stupid media reads and grabs onto my read on this statement I fully permit Morrissey to draw attention to my controversial and questionable world views and history in a place ridden with controversy and attack from both the left and the right. Clearly I am not right in the head and this is a ridiculous read on a very clear and single pointed assertion of the truth... after all I am just a silly fool who was wearing robes and listening to one of the most challenged and condemned figures in the modern mystic world. So no need to fret about the establishment - the read came from a total nut.

now that that is out of the way... i do find the letter fascinating. :cool:

....huh??

The extreme left-wing thought police try and ruin another life, looks like they have run out of luck!

The laws they hide behind and attack their victims with are about to be used on them it seems!!!

I don't want to start a huge argument but the first thing I noticed when I read Morrissey's statement is that if you replace the word NME with england.... the New NME vs. the old NME = the new England vs. the old England... there is a parallel that only reinforces... ummm many things...

Thanks for pointing this out. He did repeat "new" NME quite a bit and he used quotation marks every time. I think it's also possible that he was drawing a parallel between the "new" NME and the "New" Labour party. The NME gave up on its substance and standards as it scrambled for economic survival, and similarly "New" Labour has been criticized for spin-doctoring and losing touch with its party's original ideals.

Whichever point he may have been making, I think it's reasonable to suspect that he had one.

[...] I very much dislike the establishment and their extreme ways - esp when they attack free thinking and expression and art. [...]

S1110.jpg

but it's a hanes t-shirt! guilt ridden with the establishment and their approved projected image of rebellion and pandered to the public on the backs of celebrities...but pardoxically not that rebellious because "millions of people wear a hanes product everyday".

and they are listed on the stock exchange? IS THERE NO BIGGER ESTABLISHMENT?????

oh sorry, was that your point?

Tsk, tsk, jeane.

He seems to be arguing that they changed their questions to him, such as changing "you sound like my parents" to "you sound like a Tory" - but he doesn't seem to be disputing that he said what he said. He just doesn't think it was offensive. I don't think it's offensive either, but some people do - and that's why the NME has an opening to attack him.

Ah well, another day, another controversy. All is well in Morrisseyland.

The sad thing is, if Morrissey is that determined on this, and pays Merck and the lawyers enough money, they will carry on championing him even if they know he doesn't stand a chance in court. If the best they can come up with is, they changed a word from "parents" to "Tory", he doesn't have a leg to stand on. If that really is the size of it, NME are laughing at him today.

Seems to me there are discrepancies about the wording of both tim's questions and moz's replies. Besides the "parents" vs. "Tory" wording that Tim used, there is also this...

Moz says in his statement:
Me: If you walk down Knightsbridge you’ll be hard-pressed to hear anyone speaking English.

But NME interview quotes Moz with:
"If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent. You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

With the way moz recounted the Knightsbridge exchange in his statement, it makes you wonder if he had the transcripts and was quoting verbatim....or...if he was going from memory. The wording of 'speaking English' (Moz statement) vs. 'English accent' (NME) isn't consistent, although the general point is still the same. If Moz is correct in his wording here, then there could be other places in the interview that the NME not only spliced, chopped, butchered, snipped, omitted, reordered, and moved etc., but also inaccurately quoted moz's words (or maybe that IS what moz meant by butchering? :confused:).

Another ex. is that moz attributes his foray into the topic of immigration to be due to tim asking about politics and the state of the world
(ie, "Tim's line of questioning advanced with: 'What about politics, then ... the state of the world?' - which, I was forced to assume, was a well-thought-out question. It was from here that the issue of immigration - but not racism - arose.") .......But the nme interview indicates that moz raised that topic when asked if he would move back to britain.

So there are at least several conflicting accounts of what was really said by both tim and moz during this interview. The lawyers asked conor for the original tapes of the interview...i wonder if they have yet received them?

Back
Top Bottom