Morrissey mention in an article of fat Americans

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: http://denver.yourhub.com/Story.aspx?contentid=109868

Chewing the fat

Contributed by: Jared Keller on 8/3/2006

So, according to study after study, we Americans are just too darned fat. We're hefty. We're snapping seams, we're getting lodged in airplane seats, and by this point, the blood in our collective veins is made up of something like 64% Twinkie filling.

We, as a nation, are easily winded, achy in the knees, and prone to making involuntary noises upon either sitting or standing.

Here's the thing, though: skinny can be a problem, too.

Yeah, believe it or not, there are still folk of a Twiggy nature to be found. Granted, you have to look for them, but they're out there, and man...from the looks of 'em, they're not loving life.

Now, I work on a university campus, and there are, as you might expect, a higher-than-average number of skinny folk there - mostly ensconsed in Che t-shirts, hemp sandals, and a generalized concern for any number of issues o' the day.

Just this morning, while strolling (waddling?) to my office, I stumbled across a young, skinny couple as they emerged from their shared apartment. I kid you not - they might have weighed 100 pounds put together.

You've all seen the type, of course, but these two rather personified the things that so frighten Americans away from losing weight. That's my theory, anyway. Sure, I suppose that there are element of laziness, of self-control, and of socio-economic hardship, but man...I think that overall, we're just trying to stick to that whole "jolly"-thing.

Carrying the general air and bearing of models in search of a runway, the couple in quesiton strolled purposefully up the sidewalk, dripping with disdain, and wantonly flaunting their amped-up metabolisms. With their $200 jeans, meticulously toussled hair, and thoroughly blank faces,they carried the general physique and attitude of folks who likely subsist on a diet largely consisting of hummus and ennui. Very Morrissey, these two.

I smiled, said "howdy", and was met with a barely perceptible nod that may have been followed by some sort of ultra low frequency utterance. I didn't hear it, but I'm pretty sure the terrier on the other side of the street cocked his head and perked up his ears at that point, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

In general, I was siezed with the urge to cram a couple of rib roasts down their necks, or perhaps arrage for intravenous Crisco transfusions, but thankfully, I was able to resist.

See, right now, organizations of all types are studying America's obesity epidemic, trying to figure out just what to do to get folks to lose weight and get active.

My advice? Hide the skinny people. They're depressing.

Thank you, Seeker for the article.

Funny that the author only mentions obesity studies on Americans, when studies I have read note that the obesity epidemic exists in many industrial countries due to changing lifestyles, excessive use of sweetners in many foods, and inaccessibility to healthcare and education.

Morrissey was a skinny-mini at one time; he admitted in interviews that even as a vegetarian, he didn't always eat properly. Now, like many people his age, he is more aware of his health and well-being. He is still a vegetarian, but a smarter one now, and I think he looks great (though I think he should cut down on the ale.) :D

Back
Top Bottom