Morrissey interview in Il Manifesto (Italian)

And this is not cynicism? f*** me, you are ludicrous. And scary.

Before you get too upset I should point out it was Morrissey who mentioned cancer, and even if the rest of his sentence was filtered through a translation service until it made no sense at all he still mentioned the disease itself. It is hard to mistranslate a single, simple and very common word even if the entire sentence surrounding it is baffling.

As out of touch as he is he must have some inkling as to the speculation. He has had several opportunities to clarify the situation and has not done so. If he has had biopsies taken then say so. If he has not, or has even been diagnosed he should say so. If he doesn't want to talk about it perhaps he should not have mentioned it in the first place.

Morrissey does not seem to believe in the concept of bad publicity, as we have seen time and time again over the last five years in particular. He continually puts his foot in his mouth. It's embarrassing and does him no credit.

Before you get too upset I should point out it was Morrissey who mentioned cancer, and even if the rest of his sentence was filtered through a translation service until it made no sense at all he still mentioned the disease itself. It is hard to mistranslate a single, simple and very common word even if the entire sentence surrounding it is baffling.

As out of touch as he is he must have some inkling as to the speculation. He has had several opportunities to clarify the situation and has not done so. If he has had biopsies taken then say so. If he has not, or has even been diagnosed he should say so. If he doesn't want to talk about it perhaps he should not have mentioned it in the first place.

Morrissey does not seem to believe in the concept of bad publicity, as we have seen time and time again over the last five years in particular. He continually puts his foot in his mouth. It's embarrassing and does him no credit.

:bow:

MAYBE he wanted to explain to the fans - AND to you JB - the reason why so many shows
had, unfortunately, had to be cancelled. I mean, that is a nice thing to do when he does not
have to say anything.

I think that it is fantastic that he has the balls to get out and to tour,
when he has gone through so much. One biopsy (with any form of positive result) would
shake any man to the bone. Never mind 4.

Surely you need to get a life, JB. To go out and 'do something less boring instead' for you
and stop posting such rubbish. Sure, you can think what you like, as anyone can, but
we are talking about a human being that, most of us, care a lot about. No one is perfect.
Tolerance. Kindness. Care more, write less.

Strawberry

"Gustavo has had and has a strong influence on me, and we wrote a lot of songs together, even for the next album..."

Oh for f***s sake. Another flamenco album?

he probably doesnt know how to feel about it and is struggling with the issue. maybe he just said something and wanted to take it back and doesnt know what to feel or say about it now. i dont believe in bad publicity and is the reason i like morrissey. if he was less honest out of financial self interest i dont think i would admire him the way i do now. would you? i find it hard to say to myself i hope hes less open and less honest

sorry to hear you didnt like it but id love some more flamenco myself. one of the best surprises of world piece was that guitar. i liked the horns as well

MAYBE he wanted to explain to the fans - AND to you JB - the reason why so many shows
had, unfortunately, had to be cancelled. I mean, that is a nice thing to do when he does not
have to say anything.

I think that it is fantastic that he has the balls to get out and to tour,
when he has gone through so much. One biopsy (with any form of positive result) would
shake any man to the bone. Never mind 4.

Surely you need to get a life, JB. To go out and 'do something less boring instead' for you
and stop posting such rubbish. Sure, you can think what you like, as anyone can, but
we are talking about a human being that, most of us, care a lot about. No one is perfect.
Tolerance. Kindness. Care more, write less.

Strawberry

I have addressed most of your central points in the very post you replied to, but let me repeat for emphasis: he mentioned cancer, not me. Now, suddenly, he isn't. Why?

More broadly, the idea you can exhort others to tolerance and kindness in defence of Morrissey, damned repeatedly from his own mouth as surely one of the most intolerant and unkind public figures on the entire planet, is truly bizarre, and not unlike asking critics of Ghengis Khan to leave him alone and stay at home and knit a jumper instead. When you are confronted with wickedness of Morrissey proportions it is almost a public duty to challenge him. I call it wickedness because I am giving him the credit that it is beyond belief he is really that ignorant.

By his own free will Morrissey, this allegedly diffident, unassuming chap who wiggles on stage under a spotlight for a living, spends a considerable part of his life spreading lies and misinformation often based solely on his own opinion and prejudices. He feels, and said as much earlier this year, that he should not be challenged for his own opinion. The pretend glorified blog writers posing as journalists seem to concur, and you agree too, it seems.

No. No. No.

My advice to Morrissey, aside from write some tunes and drop this God awful Y Viva España bollocks would be have opinions based in fact. For many years he has manipulated the hard of thinking by simply lying in the knowledge no-one he deigns to speak to has the courage to dispute his outlandish claims. Enough.

Fact checking a Morrissey assertion is no more difficult that fact checking a three year old child, and like a toddler the only decision you need to make is is it worth the inevitable tantrum that will follow? Morrissey's hit-and-run approach to interviews is simple cowardice. He should have the courage to put himself in front of a real journalist.

We all know he will never do that, and we all know why.

Last edited:
I have addressed most of your central points in the very post you replied to, but let me repeat for emphasis: he mentioned cancer, not me. Now, suddenly, he isn't. Why?

More broadly, the idea you can exhort others to tolerance and kindness in defence of Morrissey, damned repeatedly from his own mouth as surely one of the most intolerant and unkind public figures on the entire planet, is truly bizarre, and not unlike asking critics of Ghengis Khan to leave him alone and stay at home and knit a jumper instead. When you are confronted with wickedness of Morrissey proportions it is almost a public duty to challenge him. I call it wickedness because I am giving him the credit that it is beyond belief he is really that ignorant.

By his own free will Morrissey, this allegedly diffident, unassuming chap who wiggles on stage under a spotlight for a living, spends a considerable part of his life spreading lies and misinformation often based solely on his own opinion and prejudices. He feels, and said as much earlier this year, that he should not be challenged for his own opinion. The pretend glorified blog writers posing as journalists seem to concur, and you agree too, it seems.

No. No. No.

My advice to Morrissey, aside from write some tunes and drop this God awful Y Viva España bollocks would be have opinions based in fact. For many years he has manipulated the hard of thinking by simply lying in the knowledge no-one he deigns to speak to has the courage to dispute his outlandish claims. Enough.

Fact checking a Morrissey assertion is no more difficult that fact checking a three year old child, and like a toddler the only decision you need to make is is it worth the inevitable tantrum that will follow? Morrissey's hit-and-run approach to interviews is simple cowardice. He should have the courage to put himself in front of a real journalist.

There is very little that's more ridiculous or more pathetic than the daily spectacle of JB and his buddies endeavouring to claim moral superiority over a pop singer. All that effort and time wasted failing to convince the world that They Know Best. What are they hoping to achieve? And why does any of it matter to them so much?

Most human beings (the Usual Suspects excepted, of course) are complicated unpredictable creatures, they have contradictions. The idea of criticising anyone so aggressively for apparent contradictions or changes of mind is beyond nonsensical and demonstrates only a fundamental failure to grasp human nature. It doesn't automatically follow that any mention of biopsies should require the full disclosure of medical records or even the need to discuss the matter ever again. As for the use of intolerant, intemperate hyperbole to discuss issues about which we feel strongly, well that happens every day, every single one of us does it to greater or lesser extents. Or do you think Morrissey is – or should be - somehow “better” than or “more” than a human being? Of course not, he is a human being who shits and cries and laughs like the rest of us. The way the Usual Suspects carry on, you'd think they believed Morrissey to be some flawless God-like being they'd spent years worshipping and were now mighty pissed off by the discovery that he's mortal after all.

He's a lyricist and pop singer, guys. Nothing more, nothing less. He's human, with human frailties, and he's never pretended otherwise.

But let's not forget, we're talking about someone who, despite the best efforts of a handful of under-achievers on here, will leave a vast artistic legacy to the world (slightly beneath Bowie, but significantly above the Velvet Underground). His music is always going to be listened to. And he's achieved that through his own ambition, his own efforts and his own judgement, not by taking on board the opinions of a few dissenting know-it-alls on an ephemeral internet forum. The “advice” and “insight” pompously offered here by JB & buddies carries no weight or relevance whatsoever.

And the most hilarious irony of all is the frequent accusations of “laziness”, "intolerance" and “unkindness” by a handful of people who seem to spend hours and hours every single day perpetually sneering, insulting and attacking from the safety of their keyboard - and who will leave nothing meaningful to posterity. And that's where the moral superiority resides, right...? JB and Co have all the moral superiority (and cogency) of a jilted lover who spends all day online stalking and harassing an ex.

he probably doesnt know how to feel about it and is struggling with the issue. maybe he just said something and wanted to take it back and doesnt know what to feel or say about it now. i dont believe in bad publicity and is the reason i like morrissey. if he was less honest out of financial self interest i dont think i would admire him the way i do now. would you? i find it hard to say to myself i hope hes less open and less honest

i found this to be very reasonable.

Iessed most of your central points in the very post you replied to, but let me repeat for emphasis: he mentioned cancer, not me. Now, suddenly, he isn't. Why?

No. No. No.

We are never going to agree JB but I respect your view.

He does joke a lot during interviews. He does say things - and you know he IS having
a laugh - and these interviewers just don't get it. Like in 198x when he
was being interviewed about music. Morrissey was so funny when he was talking
about Joy Division and The Doors - just very funny. Even today, that interview
is still funny but maybe one has to be 'northern' to get it, to totally get it. Then and now.

I believe it was an open and honest attempt to explain his current situation.
Hopefully, in the weeks ahead, he will provide more clarity, where translation issues
do not occur, if he wants to.
You can reflect as much as you like, but, at the end, it could get very tough.
He may just want to walk off the stage one night and never come back again.
He has always given his 200% best at every show, for his fans.
At the point when he can't do that, it will end.
And that, JB, will be a sad day indeed, whether you like the
flamenco 'flair' on some songs or not.

There will be no more music,

Strawberry.

There is very little that's more ridiculous or more pathetic than the daily spectacle of JB and his buddies endeavouring to claim moral superiority over a pop singer. All that effort and time wasted failing to convince the world that They Know Best. What are they hoping to achieve? And why does any of it matter to them so much?

Most human beings (the Usual Suspects excepted, of course) are complicated unpredictable creatures, they have contradictions. The idea of criticising anyone so aggressively for apparent contradictions or changes of mind is beyond nonsensical and demonstrates only a fundamental failure to grasp human nature. It doesn't automatically follow that any mention of biopsies should require the full disclosure of medical records or even the need to discuss the matter ever again. As for the use of intolerant, intemperate hyperbole to discuss issues about which we feel strongly, well that happens every day, every single one of us does it to greater or lesser extents. Or do you think Morrissey is – or should be - somehow “better” than or “more” than a human being? Of course not, he is a human being who shits and cries and laughs like the rest of us. The way the Usual Suspects carry on, you'd think they believed Morrissey to be some flawless God-like being they'd spent years worshipping and were now mighty pissed off by the discovery that he's mortal after all.

He's a lyricist and pop singer, guys. Nothing more, nothing less. He's human, with human frailties, and he's never pretended otherwise.

But let's not forget, we're talking about someone who, despite the best efforts of a handful of under-achievers on here, will leave a vast artistic legacy to the world (slightly beneath Bowie, but significantly above the Velvet Underground). His music is always going to be listened to. And he's achieved that through his own ambition, his own efforts and his own judgement, not by taking on board the opinions of a few dissenting know-it-alls on an ephemeral internet forum. The “advice” and “insight” pompously offered here by JB & buddies carries no weight or relevance whatsoever.

And the most hilarious irony of all is the frequent accusations of “laziness”, "intolerance" and “unkindness” by a handful of people who seem to spend hours and hours every single day perpetually sneering, insulting and attacking from the safety of their keyboard - and who will leave nothing meaningful to posterity. And that's where the moral superiority resides, right...? JB and Co have all the moral superiority (and cogency) of a jilted lover who spends all day online stalking and harassing an ex.

AWESOME post
"Underachievers" of the world take over..... just class.
"Know-it-alls" - they think they are !

Did people have a go at Elvis when he released Hey Bossa Nova
With its mexican "flair" ? - ! - ! - ! - ! - ! - and real guitars !

Strawberry.

id just rather see people try and refute what he said with there facts instead of telling me morrissey isnt right about something un named. if you care about the issue and the facts just refute what he says with the knowledge and teach us the truth. ive not seen that done very convincingly here when attempted

id just rather see people try and refute what he said with there facts instead of telling me morrissey isnt right about something un named. if you care about the issue and the facts just refute what he says with the knowledge and teach us the truth. ive not seen that done very convincingly here when attempted

How about the "facts" in this article, done with Portugal's Expresso?
http://zuropa.blogs.sapo.pt/morrissey-ao-expresso-126696

It's much more nuanced than the Spanish interview. Even as a translated read.

- - - Updated - - -

That would make sense, I suppose.

Last edited:
umm the translation for her love of animals didnt translate well at all. this is my point though, people say they want to refute what is so obviously wrong in his statements but you didnt tell me what statements you think are wrong or why and put up any other facts to contradict. i dont get your point at all or how it relates to the above statement you quoted. tell me what or how something is so factually incorrect and show me why if you want me to be convinced. people said it was so easy. tell me what you think and believe

A pitch perfect summation. Bravo!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom