MOJO - and more!!! The Smiths re-formed!!!

U

Uncleskinny

The new Mojo magazine is absolutely chock-full of Moz and Smiths, including a huge article and interview, and loads of pics, one of which is Moz on a lounger by the poll of The Beverly Hills Hotel, surrounded by kids. I will try and get all this scanned and up tonight.

But there is more - listen to this...

"On May 28th, a Q/MOJO Special Edition on Morrissey and The Smiths is published. A handsome brute of a magazine, it is filled with new interviews, commentary, analysis and never-before-seen photography. Also within is an extensive interview with guitarist Johny Marr where, for the first time ever, he recounts a truly extraordinary incident that occurred in the early-to-mid 90's that will have Smiths-dom foaming at the mouth. 'I did reconvene the band', he confirms. 'It was before the court case, not immediately before it, and not because of it. I got us together on Chrissie Hynde's recommendation, because she's smart and she thought that a relationship that had been so important shouldn't be left unresolved. We actually got together a few times, all four of us...'. This special Edition is available under the aegis of Q magazine in the UK and MOJO overseas, including the USA. Go to www.mojo4music.com for more information. Smiths fans, get a stiff drink and be seated..."

So there you have it. Wow. Funny how the quote from Moz they picked for the cover says "The Smiths will end in murder".

Cheers,

Sk.

Another bit...The Smiths' first gig

There is an article on The Smiths' first gig with reminiscences from Mike Joyce, Johny Marr, Chris Sullivan, Mick Middles, Joe Moss and promoter Rick Stonell. There are several pictures of this momentous occasion including a full stage shot with James Maker stage left wearing a lumberjack shirt looking decidedly pissed-off. All good stuff. I am going to be busy on that scaner tonight.

Sk.

Imagine what the Smiths would sound like if they got back together NOW...

Marr can't write tunes anymore; Morrissey's lyrics are appalling. The only ones still able to do the job would be Rourke and Joyce. How would the money be split, eh? 5% each to M+M sounds about fair.

Re: Another bit...The Smiths' first gig

> There is an article on The Smiths' first gig with reminiscences from Mike
> Joyce, Johny Marr, Chris Sullivan, Mick Middles, Joe Moss and promoter
> Rick Stonell. There are several pictures of this momentous occasion
> including a full stage shot with James Maker stage left wearing a
> lumberjack shirt looking decidedly pissed-off. All good stuff. I am going
> to be busy on that scaner tonight.

> Sk.

Cheers for that. I will def buy the magazine (didn't see it today) but thanks in advance for scanning.

Re: Imagine what the Smiths would sound like if they got back together NOW...

Morrissey's lyrics are still great generally but are different, probably just stemming from the fact he is getting older and has different things on his mind. Think about it, he was 23 when the Smiths started and was basically an unemployed guy from Manchester. Now he is 44 year old millionaire living in LA. The same material wouldn't work.

Marr can still write tunes I suspect but why he chooses not to is beyond me. Even all those years with The The and Electronic can't have sucked out all his talent!

Rourke and Joyce can still do a job? How do you know this? they haven't exactly set the World alight in the last 17 years have they? And if Marr can't write songs why would he be able to write Joyce's drum parts?

Is it out in the shops today? Had a look yesterday but couldn't see it.

So the Smiths got back together. Was that around the time that the NME ran that cover suggesting that they might be reforming?

What went wrong?

> So the Smiths got back together. Was that around the time that the NME ran
> that cover suggesting that they might be reforming?

> What went wrong?

Morrissey released two critically aclaimed albums (YA, V&I) and sold out 15,000 seat arenas. That went wrong. For him there was no need for a reunion, or at least not on any other condition than his own. These terms no doubt included money issues. If it was anything like the 10-10-40-40 split for future revenues I am sure that that was a show stopper.

my two cents

Agree with you but my question was whether the artcle outlined why these discussions went no further than just the 4 of them meeting.

Its funny this has only just come out isn't it?

Skinny - this is the only interesting thing you have posted in a long while. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom