Meat Is Murder

Meat Is Murder download

A while ago it was decided to try and download Pigsty into the charts. It was not successful, as many people announced from the start. Anyway, several of us thought the song should be Meat is Murder. Before it was decided, I spent a lot of time emailing various veggie/vegan/animal rights groups etc and have been told I can count on the support of hundreds of them. They still want to go ahead with it. It was thought at the time Easter weekend would be good. I know loads of people think its a waste of time but considering the extra support we can count on from these non-Moz groups and individuals it has to be more successful.
My reason for doing this is lack of time to do anything really constructive for animals (apart from not eating them) and I think its important a whole new generation of people possibly gets the opportunity to listen to Meat is Murder and hopefully decides to become veggie. Not because I want to see Moz at #10 or whatever - but if you would you can still help!
Anyway - the date for commencing the download is 2nd April hopefully to chart on Easter Sunday. I know all the reasons a lot of people think its a stupid idea but for those who dont please help out.
(Tbevie has given her blessing to go ahead with this so I am not trying to steal someone else's idea)
Here's the link from the original experiment in case anyone missed it.
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67088&highlight=download+charts
If anyone can help emailing PETA, VIVA, Vegan Society and Vegetarian Society to get them to help publicise it that would be great - the big organisations have not replied.
Thanks

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea and it would be fantastic to see this masterpiece in the download chart. I for one will definitely be downloading this. Cheers :D

And it will fail once again.

I wanted it to be Meat Is Murder cos militant vegetarianism is, like, the only thing in my life lol :p

But I really don't think it's going to work. Cos we failed cos they don't count multiple downloads, right? Well, that must be it cos I was listening to Gorgeous George Galloway's radio programme recently and he was, like, seriously annoyed that the RESPECT-backed version of War (What's It Good For?) had only gone in at, like, 21 cos they were discounting multiple downloads. Mind you, #21 ain't bad! Where did erm Pigsty get to..?

As this wont turn out to be a mere "lets get moz in the charts" or "lets get him a star on the walk of fame" project (which only serves egos),
I'd be happy to give my support. The actual chart position is secondary, it's the thought that counts.

And, "Meat Is Murder" is such a strong, poignant (sp?) song..

I'd be even happier if the proceeds went to a good cause (i. e. Animal Shelter or similar), but that isnt doable I know......

Last edited:
if organised correcty yes it will work

however if rushed like last time, it won;t work

You are absolutely right. I have already spread the word as I say to loads of regional groups etc and its not until w/c 2nd April so there's no reason it cant be done? I mailed the bigger groups months ago hoping it would make it into their magazines but it wasnt to be. I really wish we'd done this first instead of pigsty as now everyone on here has lost interest and this is so much more worthwhile.

I think it is a brilliant idea! I didn't go along with the last campaign, as i thought we should back a more meaningful song. "meat is murder" is a excellent song. The only thing is though, wouldn't we have more chance if we picked a song like "There is a light that never goes out?" or "Everyday is like sunday?" I know this time it isn't just about getting Morrissey into the charts, but still wouldn't it feel amazing?
Still though, whatever happens "meat is murder" is a excellent choice, and i'll back it all the way :)

we could also ALL call our local or national radio stations and request it be played,
especially if they have a specified 'requests/dedication' show slot, as most do you could dedicate it to 'steven' or to yourselves, make up anything fake birthdays whatever just get it out there...
Plus this is more likely to reach a wider audience than the chart.

I do support this attempt though and i hope it works i really do.

what counts as 'multiple' downloads?
if you buy loads in one go?
or how many 'you' buy full stop?
i found that most plces i got piggy from wuldnt let me put more than one copy in the basket at a time, (which was fine as this is how i preferred to do it)

we could also ALL call our local or national radio stations and request it be played,
especially if they have a specified 'requests/dedication' show slot, as most do you could dedicate it to 'steven' or to yourselves, make up anything fake birthdays whatever just get it out there...
Plus this is more likely to reach a wider audience than the chart.

I do support this attempt though and i hope it works i really do.

what counts as 'multiple' downloads?
if you buy loads in one go?
or how many 'you' buy full stop?
i found that most plces i got piggy from wuldnt let me put more than one copy in the basket at a time, (which was fine as this is how i preferred to do it)

Lottie you are a star! I am going to try it. Just working on a website at the moment but I want to advise people regarding this multiple download thing and not sure how it works. Found this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4802804.stm but maybe you could still do it if you tried over different websites, different credit cards or over the space of the week rather than all in one go? This story advises 2 copies per person but maybe you could do that on each store? Not sure. And please dont forget to ask Peta etc to feature it on their own sites if you have the time - that would widen the audience considerably. I'll put a link up to the meat is murder website when its finished. I've found the Moz font, maybe will also do flyers for veggie caffs etc in Manchester. I know Johnny Marr goes in the Eighth day but is that a good thing do you think? Don't think anyone would object would they??

I’m a vegetarian and this song played a big part in converting me. So this song obviously means a lot to me.

I also would have liked Meat Is Murder, instead of ‘Pigsty’, for the campaign. But like I said at the time ‘Pigsty’ did win the poll fair and square so I felt we had to go with it.

I just hope people don’t dismiss this idea because of the 'Pigsty' failure. When it failed to make it into the charts I said that I didn’t think it was all for nothing and I still believe that. I think we can use the experience and learn from our mistakes.

I think Meat is Murder has such an important message. And I think we need to help spread that message. You can count me in.

“For me to sing Meat is Murder. If it means that just five people think about it, then I will continue to do it”

Morrissey speaking about singing Meat is Murder on tour, 2002.

Last edited:
Count me in. I know a few veggie's at work who aren't particularly Moz fans, but don't hate him either. They're in touch with some smaller, local groups who would probably be interested in this, so I'll talk to them about it too. If it's co-ordinated via the main webpage, I think this has a good chance of working. How about trying to get some celebrity Moz fans on board? Russell Brand springs to mind ... he'd sell his own grandmother for Morrissey.
Vegetarians of the world unite!

The only problem I can forsee is this ... I know the publicity would belong to Morrissey, but wouldn't the profits go straight to Mike Joyce? However, if the message and intention is 'Morrissey fans for love of his music and/or an important cause', I can't see the money issue being a problem with our man.

Count me in. I know a few veggie's at work who aren't particularly Moz fans, but don't hate him either. They're in touch with some smaller, local groups who would probably be interested in this, so I'll talk to them about it too. If it's co-ordinated via the main webpage, I think this has a good chance of working. How about trying to get some celebrity Moz fans on board? Russell Brand springs to mind ... he'd sell his own grandmother for Morrissey.
Vegetarians of the world unite!

The only problem I can forsee is this ... I know the publicity would belong to Morrissey, but wouldn't the profits go straight to Mike Joyce? However, if the message and intention is 'Morrissey fans for love of his music and/or an important cause', I can't see the money issue being a problem with our man.

I would have loved to ask them to donate profits to PETA or some other animal charity but I imagine it would take months to get any sort of response from anyone. Anyway, as TBevie says - if only 5 people are influenced.... it will be worth it. Joyce can keep the money if it means more people stop eating meat.

Good news! Got positive responses from Vegetarian Society and Viva who are putting it on their massive mailing list!
Can someone sticky this - we still need help from Moz solo even with all the other veggies!

Get Mozz into the Charts...

Ok Ok Ok. Enough with the lets get Moz into the charts dialogue. Truth is, that Moz will get in the charts when he releases a song that will have broad appeal. First of the Gang and Irish Blood both had that kind of broad appeal...as did Suedehead and Everyday is Like Sunday in the Past.

Truth is, none of the singles on ROTT have that broad appeal - it is a fans album like Southpaw.

So...do we really care if Moz get to number 1? Not really and it is not realistic without that kind of song.

Rather then push non-commercial songs into the TOp 10, why not push Moz to go more commercial. But, I would rather not have either. I like it as it is right now...a legendary artist aging gracefully with a core group of fans that love his work. Paul Weller is doing the same very well, and is also not getting Top 40 hits. But for some reason, I cannot see his fans having a desperate need to do this...

Wonder what it is about Moz, or us, his fans, that makes getting him into the Top 40 such an important goal...

Re: Get Mozz into the Charts...

I thought so too. Now I see we are focusing our efforts on the Meat is Murder download...

But the comment is over the ongoing discussion about Moz's popoularity and record sales. Record sales will increase by getting new fans, and at this point in his career, that will likely come from obvious hit singles.

I am fine as is. But I guess some of us are not???:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom