Linder Sterling - anyone know of these albums by Linder Sterling

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: http://www.darla.com/ under a Morrissey related search and Linder Sterling

“People who know real genius will love this record. Linder’s singing leaves me out of breath” – Morrissey.

LUDUS - The Visit / The Seduction CD (LTM (UK): LTM2333 ) $14.99
p5733.jpg
14 tracks. “People who know real genius will love this record. Linder’s singing leaves me out of breath” – Morrissey. LTM are pleased to announce two more archive CDs from Manchester avant-punk legends LUDUS, active between 1979 and 1983 and featuring creative mainsprings Linder Sterling and Ian Devine. Combining Ian’s angular, jazz-informed and often improvised music with Linder’s unflinching lyrical explorations, Ludus recorded three albums and six singles for a variety of labels, including New Hormones, Crepuscule and Sordide Sentimental. The Visit/The Seduction collects together two scarce releases originally released on New Hormones. The Visit ep is the first Ludus record from March 1980, featuring the classic I Can’t Swim I Have Nightmares, and is joined by two non-album single tracks in Mother’s Hour and Anatomy Is Not Destiny. The jewel in the crown of the Ludus back catalogue is The Seduction, which first appeared as a double 12” package in February 1982, and features some of Devine and Sterling’s most accessible music (eg Mirror Mirror), as well as some of their most adventurous (eg The Dynasty). The CD features the original artwork by Linder, as well as extensive sleevenotes. Digitally remastered from the original tapes, the 14 tracks amount to 71 minutes of music. Praise for Ludus (“The Damage” CD): “A forgotten enigma – placed beside recent works by Le Tigre or Peaches, the likes of Breaking the Rules insist that Ludus were actually a group unique for, and ahead of, their time” (Uncut, 4/02); “Highlights come from 1982’s Seduction lp, where band partner Ian Devine provides staccato jazz-funk rhythms as Sterling declaims perplexing couplets” (Q, 6/02); “The effect is delicious, a dizzy libertine idiot dance that wagged a scarlet-tipped finger before coating it in ambiguous ellipses and psycho-sexual allusions… Moves from wilfully obtuse Diamanda Galas-outs to the pop goes the orgy, sugar-and-spice subversion of Breaking the Rules while the cover of Nue Au Soleil is Stereolab waiting to happen. With knobs on!” (The Herald, 4/02); “They stumbled on a very sophisticated European pop sound that has only been picked up on in more recent years by people like Stereolab, who would have drowned in critical plaudits for the version of Nue au Soleil… Proves conclusively that Manchester’s musical heritage has remained fertile and productive” (Whisperin’ & Hollerin’, 4/02).10/2/02

LUDUS - Pickpocket / Danger Came Smiling CD (LTM (UK): LTM2338 ) $14.99
p5734.jpg
24 tracks. “People who know real genius will love this record. Linder’s singing leaves me out of breath” - Morrissey. LTM are pleased to announce two more archive CDs from Manchester avant-punk legends LUDUS, active between 1979 and 1983 and featuring creative mainsprings Linder Sterling and Ian Devine. Combining Ian’s angular, jazz-informed and often improvised music with Linder’s unflinching lyrical explorations, Ludus recorded three albums and six singles for a variety of labels, including New Hormones, Crepuscule and Sordide Sentimental. Pickpocket/Danger Came Smiling collects together two impossibly rare albums from 1982, both originally released on New Hormones, with the largely improvised DCS standing as the bands’ most wilfully experimental material. The CD features the original artwork by Linder, as well as extensive sleevenotes. Digitally restored and remastered from the original tapes, the 24 tracks amount to 71 minutes of music. Praise for Ludus (“The Damage” CD): “A forgotten enigma – placed beside recent works by Le Tigre or Peaches, the likes of Breaking the Rules insist that Ludus were actually a group unique for, and ahead of, their time” (Uncut, 4/02); “Highlights come from 1982’s Seduction lp, where band partner Ian Devine provides staccato jazz-funk rhythms as Sterling declaims perplexing couplets” (Q, 6/02); “The effect is delicious, a dizzy libertine idiot dance that wagged a scarlet-tipped finger before coating it in ambiguous ellipses and psycho-sexual allusions… Moves from wilfully obtuse Diamanda Galas-outs to the pop goes the orgy, sugar-and-spice subversion of Breaking the Rules while the cover of Nue Au Soleil is Stereolab waiting to happen. With knobs on!” (The Herald, 4/02); “They stumbled on a very sophisticated European pop sound that has only been picked up on in more recent years by people like Stereolab, who would have drowned in critical plaudits for the version of Nue au Soleil… Proves conclusively that Manchester’s musical heritage has remained fertile and productive” (Whisperin’ & Hollerin’, 4/02). 10/2/02

I have that second album featured there, and another compilation of theirs called "The Damage".

I liked listening to it. I can upload some sample tracks if you like.

JeanneDarc said:
Is she the 'one' the song half a person is about?

No, probably not. Morrissey rarely talks about who specifically he is addressing in his songs, but there are three songs some fans strongly suspect might be about Linder Sterling. They are:

Wonderful Woman
Jeane
Miserable Lie

Back
Top Bottom