Latest Morrissey interview

Rupert

'And so to his news: his sudden, late-blooming sex life, the ignition of, as he calls them in Dear God Please Help Me, the “explosive kegs between my legs”. Two years ago in I Have Forgiven Jesus he complained that there was no one who would “unlock all this love” in him. Now in You Have Killed Me he sings: “I entered nothing, and nothing entered me/ ’til you came, with the key.” So has he been unlocked?

“It isn’t true,” he protests. “No, it isn’t true. I said to the writer from Mojo, “Yes, I’m in love with the city of Rome” and they printed, “Yes, I’m in love”. And everybody else followed. But no, it isn’t true. Everything remains the same. I am an island.”

Yet even the album’s press release emphasised the songs’ sexuality. What about Dear God Please Help Me? “Then he motions to me with his hand on my knee . . . and now I’m spreading your legs, with mine in between.”

“Yes, but I maintain that from the very early Smiths, the songs were very passionate and sensual. I think it was overlooked because I physically didn’t appear to be so. I was so physically not it, there didn’t seem to be any link between the lyrics and my physicality. But I think they were always sensual, really.” '

I personally agree with Morrissey and always thought that the main idea of the song was to express his love of Rome. Discuss... (Hopefully I won't get called a homophobe like on the old forum :))

Last edited:
This quote has stuck with me:

So he found another way out of his predicament? “Yes, and I saw that only through music. I only felt it through music, nothing else, and that was the key. It remained the key and I was never swayed from the age of 6 or 7 onwards. I wanted to sing. I could see that singing on a stage and singing the songs that you had written was the art form that everybody really aspired to.”

Having read that music is (and remained) "the key" for Morrissey, I'm wondering if YHKM is about Johnny Marr.

‘Til you came with the key
And you did your best but
As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Has Marr "killed" Morrissey by quitting the band?

And there is no point saying this again
There is no point saying this again
But I forgive you, I forgive you
Always I do forgive you

C.W. McCall said:
Having read that music is (and remained) "the key" for Morrissey, I'm wondering if YHKM is about Johnny Marr.

As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Always I do forgive you

Thank God, I thought I was the only one... I was thinking exactly the same since I first heard the song (and no, I'm not someone who thinks any other song is about Marr or Morrissey himself for that matter) but I didn't dare telling anybody about it because it seemed so weird

C.W. McCall said:

So he found another way out of his predicament? “Yes, and I saw that only through music. I only felt it through music, nothing else, and that was the key. It remained the key and I was never swayed from the age of 6 or 7 onwards. I wanted to sing. I could see that singing on a stage and singing the songs that you had written was the art form that everybody really aspired to.”

As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Always I do forgive you

I've never thought about it like that before but if this is the case then I suppose that the lyrics would fit in perfectly with that. However, to be honest I think Morrissey got over the end of The Smiths a long time ago. He seems to have indicated as much in recent interviews. It would just seem strange if he was still writing songs about Marr in 2006.

Hmm an interesting theory!!

C.W. McCall said:

As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Always I do forgive you

Yes!!! I thought that too when I read the interview.

Young And Alive said:
It would just seem strange if he was still writing songs about Marr in 2006.

C'mon the man is a genious and geniouses are stranges.

C.W. McCall said:

As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Always I do forgive you
now THAT is something to think about. did you break your head putting those two together or did it come out of nowhere? good job, anyway.

that makes perfect sense....aren't you lot clever :) :D I like the idea...

C.W. McCall said:

As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Always I do forgive you
Very interesting theory, but that still doesnt account for the seemingly sexual pun on 'enter' and the subsequent references to Gay directors/actors etc., unless Mozz and Marr did have a relationship that was something more than platonic, which seems very unlikely. Also would Mozz write a song about a man surely far from his mind if a. Mozz is in Rome exploring a new kind of life and b. The two are barely on speaking terms, let alone friends, and havent been for 20 odd years.

I still think it's about Mozzers new, er, object of affection, partner, whatever he found in Rome, putting the final nail in the coffin of the old Mozz, the Morrissey that exists in the mass medias mind, the Mozz of Heaven knows im miserable now, through sexual liberation (I dont think its a coincedence this song follows Dear God, Please Help Me..., which is on a similar subject, and a song where Mozz admits such a male partner).

Im sure I read on here that some think Mozz has lost his ambiguity and ability to write tantalisingly vague lyrics...I think the new album and discussion surrounding it on here and elsewhere is testament otherwise!

Last edited:
everyone thinks every song Morrissey writes is about Marr, fact is, he doesnt even think about him anymore

there are dozens of his tunes that you could twist into a Marr devotion

Also notes how he refers to them as 'ex-muscians'. Arent all three of them still in bands?

Ouch! Catty.

I think that Morrissey is still playing up the quasi-celibate angle with interviewers! It seems you can see him give a little in one interview, only to recant as much as possible in the next. He cracks me up!

zom

And damn, it's such a sad story, isn't it (not).
I just find it hard to take him seriously and never
really sure when he really means something.
Really you can't blame him. Why should he tell the world about (really) personal stuff?

C.W. McCall said:

As I live and breathe
You have killed me

Always I do forgive you

No, this song is not about Johnny Marr. You people are obviously nuts. You think every single Morrissey song is about Johnny Marr, a man he doesn't even like any more.

Could it be any clearer than his latest interview: "I feel as if I’ve worked very hard since the demise of the Smiths and the others haven’t, so why hand them attention that they haven’t earned? We are not friends, we don’t see each other."

And yet people around here still insist that "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" is about how Morrissey falls to his knees each night praying to God that he doesn't care about his own life, his dream is to see Johnny Marr happy.

Back
Top Bottom