Johnny Marr picks his top Punk records

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Hello - I must have missed this from the Feb/March edition of Q - it was the punk edition, and towards the back, as I discovered last night, is Johnny Marr's top 20 punk records, and where to find them. Apologies if this has been posted before.

Best Wishes,

Peter

JOHNNY MARR - A PUNK EDUCATION, COURTESY OF THE FORMER SMITHS MAN

1 - Ain't Been To No Music School - Ed Banger And The Nosebleeds
"My introduction to punk. My best mate at school's brother was in the band."
Get it: 1234 Punk & New Wave 1976-1979 (Universal)

2 - Boredom - Buzzcocks
"When they still had Howard Devoto on vocals. The fact that the band put it out themselves was a revolutionary idea."
Get it: The Complete Singles Anthology (EMI, 2004)

3 - Blank Generation - Richard Hell & The Viodoids
"Because of Richard Hell's credibility and connection with the punk scene you had to check it out. Great title too."
Get it: Blank Generation (Sire, 1977)

4 - Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie And The Banshees
"Quickly there were a lot of beer monsters disguised as punks. But this was commercial weirdness away from the Neanderthal herd. I always thought she was gorgeous."
Get it: The Best Of Siouxsie & The Banshees (Polydor, 2002)

5 - The Passenger - Iggy Pop
"Universally loved as soon as it was released. It redefined Iggy. My mates and I learned the riff."
Get it: Lust For Life (RCA, 1977)

6 - All I Want - Snatch
"As a fan of Johhny Thunders and The New York Dolls, you knew about Snatch, Patti Palladin's band."
Get it: 1234 Punk & New Wave 1976-1979 (Universal)

7 - New Rose - The Damned
"They got the jump on the Pistols by releasing this first, but for me The Damned were a bit too comedy. This is undeniably a great record, though."
Get it: Damned Damned Damned (Stiff, 1977)

8 - Anarchy In The UK - Sex Pistols
"It was deleted by EMI shortly after its release, so there was a real drama before you even heard it."
Get it: Never Mind The Bollocks (Vrgin, 1977)

9 - Identity - X-Ray Spex
"Punk was a great time for girls. Like The Smiths, a lot of bands got into the charts and on the radio because people were into them, not the other way round."
Get it: Germ Free Adolescents (EMI, 1978)

10 - Shot By Both Sides - Magazine
"This was immediately ahead of the pack. What's been forgotten is that punk swept away that so-called highbrow prog-rock, but prog never had anyone called Verlaine (Tom, Television front man) involved. Punk was the first poetry since Dylan."
Get it: Real Life (Virgin, 1978)

11 - Outdoor Miner - Wire
"Wire were art-school, and very London. It's actually about an ant this, isn't it?"
Get it: Chairs Missing (EMI, 1978)

12 - Another Girl, Another Planet - The Only Ones
"They were my band for a time - I followed them around. I got arrested once and thrown into a cell in a (title of third album) Baby's Got A Gun T-shirt, which amused the cops."
Get it: The Only Ones (Columbia, 1978)

13 - Beat On The Brat - Ramones
""Undeniably crucial. I love the Ramones. A little bit of them goes a long way."
Get it: Ramones (Sire, 1976)

14 - White Riot - The Clash
"In the provinces you got to learn about Jamaican culture directly from The Clash"
Get it: The Clash (Sony, 1977)

15 - Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks
"I love Pete Shelley - total attitude in the vocals - but fey at the same time."
Get it: Singles Going Steady (IRS, 1979)

16 - Gary Gilmore's Eyes - The Adverts
"Execution and murder wrapped in a dark rock tune."
Get it: Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts (Bright, 1978)

17 - God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols
"I bought it the day it came out. That was the whole point really, to get it to Number 1 for the (Queen's) Silver Jubilee."
Get it: Never Mind The Bollocks (Virgin, 1977)

18 - Chinese Rocks - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers
"I loved (guitarist) Walter Lure. I hung outside The Ranch Club in Chorlton, listening at the walls 'cos I was too young to get in."
Get it: LAMF (Jungle, 1977)

19 - Action Time Television - Alternative TV
"Mark Perry's band. I loved that record when it came out."
Get it: The Image Has Cracked (Deptford, 1978)

20 - Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols
"It took a band as glamourous as the Pistols (to make punk happen). The Banshees were too feline, The Damned too crappy, The Clash too dour."
Get it: Never Mind The Bollocks (Virgin, 1977)

Thanks for this, Uncle S - brought back a few memories. My Youngest still thinks the Buzzcocks are singing "Aw! There's a rabbit!" Who am I to disenchant him....?

Back
Top Bottom