instrument in Staircase at the University

ChicagoGuy

Is that a clarinet being played during certain parts of Staircase?

ugh...such a good song. My Google Play page has it listed as being played almost 100 times....so good.

Don't think it's clarinet, which is prominently featured in Oboe Concerto. Sounds more like something from a synth. Agree about the song though. It's excellent.

P.S. Your avatar is classic. That was a GREAT show!

ugh...such a good song. My Google Play page has it listed as being played almost 100 times....so good.

Didn't Joe write that it's ironically an oboe that isn't featured in the song with its name in the title? Or did I make that up in my head which is possible. :p

Didn't Joe write that it's ironically an oboe that isn't featured in the song with its name in the title? Or did I make that up in my head which is possible. :p

http://radio.com/2014/07/15/morriss...ne-of-your-business-producer-joe-chiccarelli/

“Oboe Concerto”
There’s no oboe on the song, it’s actually a clarinet. Boz is a great guitar player, but he picked up the clarinet on that song. That solo in the middle was one take. He’s really good at it. I have to say, the band is a great combination of having [musical] skills but also understanding the artist. They’re really good at communicating with each other and Morrissey, and they know what he’ll like. They have a great understanding and respect for him.

http://radio.com/2014/07/15/morriss...ne-of-your-business-producer-joe-chiccarelli/

“Oboe Concerto”
There’s no oboe on the song, it’s actually a clarinet. Boz is a great guitar player, but he picked up the clarinet on that song. That solo in the middle was one take. He’s really good at it. I have to say, the band is a great combination of having [musical] skills but also understanding the artist. They’re really good at communicating with each other and Morrissey, and they know what he’ll like. They have a great understanding and respect for him.

No I meant when he talked about Staircase. Did he?

No I meant when he talked about Staircase. Did he?

No:

“Staircase at the University”
[The lyrics include "'If you don't get three A's,' her sweet daddy said/'You're no child of mine and as far as I'm concerned, you're dead.'"] I went through that: I got a scholarship, and my parents were like, “You’re not going to coast by, just because you got a scholarship!” I went to Catholic school, so I understand guilt. Who can’t relate to this song? Everybody at some point in their life gets that torture from their parents, to different degrees. It’s so universal. This one was maybe, in some ways, a little more difficult to put together [in the studio]. There were those long musicial sections that Moz really wanted in there. So I had to figure out what to do, to keep your interest. There’s one section where the strings are featured more, one section where the guitar is featured more. There were definitely challenges. Gustaov’s nylon string guitar solo was great. I don’t think anybody in the organization knew what a great nylon string guitar player Gustavo was. He’s the keyboard player; I think everyone knew he could pick up the guitar and play, but it was kind of a surprise when he started soloing, how fluid it was.

Okay, it's all in my head. :p

“Oboe Concerto”

That is weird...No Oboe in the "Oboe Concerto" song?
On a different note, I watched the youtube video of Morrissey performing "Art Hounds" and it is pretty obvious that Boz picks up a Clarinet during that song too....

Maybe Morrissey just like the way that "Oboe Concerto" sounds when it leaves his lips...there's something about that combination of two words...

Don't think it's clarinet, which is prominently featured in Oboe Concerto. Sounds more like something from a synth. Agree about the song though. It's excellent.

P.S. Your avatar is classic. That was a GREAT show!

You have good taste in shows! Ben is one of the best characters ever...

Has anyone answered the actual question yet?
I thought it sounded like a cor anglais - reminds me a bit of Star Shaped by Blur and Winter's Tale by Essex which I think both use the instrument.

Has anyone answered the actual question yet?
I thought it sounded like a cor anglais - reminds me a bit of Star Shaped by Blur and Winter's Tale by Essex which I think both use the instrument.

Based on the album credits and my ear, I thought it was synth.

Back
Top Bottom