Here's a game we all can play

L

Librarian on Fire

For all those in love with music.

The scenario, you've just driven back from the airport after seeing your girl/boy friend off. They scored a really good job offer overseas and although you know that you said you'll keep in touch and come over and visit your expecting a phonecall in three months time saying "I think we should see other people". You arrive home to a empty house. Feeling somewhat sad and a little bit jealous as you wish it was you. You fix yourself a drink and then go to your music collection and decide to find something appropriate to fit your mood.
What do you choose?

My choice would be either Ride's "Vapour Trail", with the deep cello throughout and the line "first you looked so strong and then you fade away" ah, second choice would be a lesser known song for those outside New Zealand but it would be the 3D's "Spooky" a sad song about goodbye "and you never even said "take good care"".

What would others choose, remember there is no right or wrong answer nor do you have to stick to a genre.

this first happened to me when I was 17, my first proper relationship etc. etc. When she left I was still deep in the throes of listening only to Morrissey & The Smiths, and would listen to "Late Night, Maudlin Street" and "I Know it's Over". Which, on hindsite was pretty pathetic.

I guess that if this were to happen to me now (hope not, I'm spuupsed to get married in four weeks!) I would probably anstain from music. I find tht if I listen to music that I like, when I'm sad, it taints it for me, and makes it hard to listen to in the future. Taht being said, both my grandparents died this year, and i found the only album I really wanted to listen to was "Trompe Le Monde" by The Pixies, mainly because it was noisy and aggressive, and that purged a lot of my angst.

I'm rambling ......

So I wouldn't listen to sad music. I'd either just watch TV, read a book, and, possibly, try to play something noisy to take my mind off it.

City Sickness-The Tindersticks
Buried Bones-The Tindersticks
Stone Roses-Ten Storey Love Song
Rainy night in Soho-The Pogues
Blue Moon-Elvis

> this first happened to me when I was 17, my first proper
> relationship etc. etc. When she left I was still deep in the
> throes of listening only to Morrissey & The Smiths, and
> would listen to "Late Night, Maudlin Street" and
> "I Know it's Over". Which, on hindsite was pretty
> pathetic.

> I guess that if this were to happen to me now (hope not, I'm
> spuupsed to get married in four weeks!) I would probably anstain
> from music. I find tht if I listen to music that I like, when
> I'm sad, it taints it for me, and makes it hard to listen to in
> the future. Taht being said, both my grandparents died this
> year, and i found the only album I really wanted to listen to
> was "Trompe Le Monde" by The Pixies, mainly because it
> was noisy and aggressive, and that purged a lot of my angst.

> I'm rambling ......

> So I wouldn't listen to sad music. I'd either just watch TV,
> read a book, and, possibly, try to play something noisy to take
> my mind off it.

I'm in agreement with Lawrence... I know it's over & then I'd stick on R.E.M. Eveybody hurts. Then Brenda Lee All alone am I. & I'd finish myself off with I wonder who's kissing her now? Can't remember who sings that one but there you go.
love
Grim O'Grady

one more thing .....

If I *was* going to play a sad song, it'd have to be "Broken heart" by Spiritualized, off "Ladies and gentle we are floating in space", which I rate as probably the most mournful song ever written.

Oh, and appologies for all the typos in my last post. I was at someone else's computer, and didn't have my glasses on!

> I'm in agreement with Lawrence... I know it's over & then
> I'd stick on R.E.M. Eveybody hurts. Then Brenda Lee All alone am
> I. & I'd finish myself off with I wonder who's kissing her
> now? Can't remember who sings that one but there you go.
> love
> Grim O'Grady

I'd stick on 'Is It Really So Strange' at full wack, "I left the north again, I traveled south again, I got confused I killed a nun, I can't help the way I feel", I'd then move my Louder Than Bombs LP on a few tracks and play 'London', "But did you see the jealousy in the eyes of the ones who had to stay behind". Then I'd stick on the final scene of Casablanca and watch it over and over again. Then I'd get the idea of remixing the line "Louis I think this may be the start of a beautiful freindship" make loads of cash with my massive dance hit being played in clubs all over the world, that'll bring her back.

Re: Tinders and Pogues

> City Sickness-The Tindersticks
> Buried Bones-The Tindersticks
> Stone Roses-Ten Storey Love Song
> Rainy night in Soho-The Pogues
> Blue Moon-Elvis

The Tindersticks and the Pogues.. what good choices. Go to the Top of the class.. 'Misty Morning, Albert Bridge' is great as well.. I love London Bridges.. it's a fault in me sorry.. But Waterloo Bridge where you can kiss and hug with one of the best views in the world moves me..

PS, Most Tindersticks would work in the leaving your relationship at the airport scenario.. 'Tiny tears'..

I'm sure I'd choose..

"A Promise You Can't Keep" by The Farmer's Boys. I only heard it last week, and I think it's lovely, even though certain magical fairies think it's slow and boring. Here are the lyrics (nicked from the fabulous www.farmersboys.cwc.net)

A Promise You Can't Keep

Love's running away from me
Through open eyes I still can't see
You, important part of me
Walking on air, you'll find me there
What's on your mind? Love's so unkind
I waited hours for it, something so rare I held it close
Closer than ever now
What could be near, and yet so far?
Love's running away from me
Through open eyes I still can't see
Where there is time, you could be mine
Why dwell on past encounters?
At least they still affect us

Time, ticking away from us
Where there is time you still are mine
Love's running away from you
Through open eyes I've seen right through
Where there is hope I think I'll cope
Why wait in transit for it, rise up and reach out for it

Listen, though things may go wrong
It's forever, a promise you can't keep
I'll wait a lifetime for it, I'll rise, reach out and then I'll...

LMC x

also, "Seventies Night"

by Edwyn Collins, from "I'm Not Follwing You". I would start shaking my groove thang and would soon forget all about the person, would put on ly flares and platforms and hit the street ...

Well, probably not, but it's so funky and funny and brilliant I would cheer up, at least for a little bit.

> Brahms Cello Sonatas by Yo Yo Ma and a bottle of Cabernet

For all those in love with music.

> The scenario, you've just driven back from the airport after
> seeing your girl/boy friend off. They scored a really good job
> offer overseas and although you know that you said you'll keep
> in touch and come over and visit your expecting a phonecall in
> three months time saying "I think we should see other
> people". You arrive home to a empty house. Feeling somewhat
> sad and a little bit jealous as you wish it was you. You fix
> yourself a drink and then go to your music collection and decide
> to find something appropriate to fit your mood.
> What do you choose?

> My choice would be either Ride's "Vapour Trail", with
> the deep cello throughout and the line "first you looked so
> strong and then you fade away" ah, second choice would be a
> lesser known song for those outside New Zealand but it would be
> the 3D's "Spooky" a sad song about goodbye "and
> you never even said "take good care"".

> What would others choose, remember there is no right or wrong
> answer nor do you have to stick to a genre.

Back
Top Bottom