do we expect TOO MUCH of moz

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
after the rich history of material by the smiths and moz solo has morrissey led all his fans in to beleiving there can never be a poor track from such a gifted individual as himself.
the expectation of the last 2 albums was so huge considering the quality of mozzers back catolouge and the tours we have seen over the last 20 yrs or so i feel there is a general air of dissapointment through the fan base as a whole (i am not speaking from a personal veiwpoint here)
where i live you would say "morrissey has made a rod for his own back" by the simple greatness of his other stuff.
so when something new comes out it has to be "compared to" and "set off against"
ok so the 2 albums are no vauxhall or strangeways but it is only due to this past stuff being sooooooo good we expect it everytime .
yes i think we sometimes just simply expect "too much" from the old lad and just maybe we should be grateful for what we are still getting.

I dont see the problem with last two albums,really. On the contrary, when i fist heard the new album, i thought: this is maybe the best thing ever?Anyone with me? I see new album as a piece of art.

I don't agree either; for me was Quarry fantastic!
As for Tormentors: I'm sometimes having difficulties with lyrics - as for the music; it's different in a lot of manners!

I don't get the impression that the majority of the fans are disappointed. No one seemed disappointed with the gigs I went to. I think the moaning is down to a few obsessives who have very strict definition of the type of artist they want Morrissey to be.

I think the album is probably the best thing he has ever done, but I don't think that will be realised for at least a few years. In the same way only now people are championing Arsenal and Vauxhall. You can bet if there had been an internet back then the complaints would have been just as loud.

Absolutely! A rod for his own back sums it up well.

It's always tough to judge an artist's newer work when his older stuff is so magnificent. For years, in my own mind, his solo work could never escape the shadow of The Smiths (not until 1994, for me). Inevitably it's weaker, particularly in a medium that's so heavily youth-oriented.

However, some questions you should ask are:

Does the artist's newer work show some kind of evolution or growth? In my opinion, "Ringleader" does that-- as far as his lyrics and voice go.

Does the artist's work somehow tarnish or negate his previous songs? No way. In fact, I think both "Ringleader" and "Quarry"-- and the accompanying promotions and tours-- strengthen his legacy with his older solo work and The Smiths.

Does the artist's newer work seem relevant to the present? Yes, "Ringleader" is relevant-- remembering, of course, that Morrissey's lyrics have always put forward a sensibility "just a country mile behind" the rest of the world.

Would you love the artist if his latest album was his debut? This is a trickier one to answer, but I'll say yes on this one. The reason it's tricky is that Morrissey's new album exists in the context of not only his own back catalog but an indie/alternative scene he helped create. It's impossible to imagine "Ringleader" in a world that had not already had 20 years of Morrissey and The Smiths.

The one area where I think Morrissey has disappointed is musically. In no way is this a knock on Alain, Boz, and the others as musicians-- they're probably better than they've shown-- but Morrissey's music is increasingly undistinguished and intentionally muted. The recent email offered an extraordinary nugget, a line which indicates that Morrissey does conceive of himself as "apart from the music": that he is aware that he dominates (by his personality, voice, words) his own musicians.

In a funny way, his present situation is a little like those old Sandie Shaw records. You hear the voice, loud and clear, and the rest is background fodder. Decent accompanying tracks, tastefully arranged, but ultimately little more than scaffolding for the main attraction. The music isn't bad, it's just...there. The track I've been playing almost nonstop lately is "Song From Under The Floorboards", and I marvel as much at Morrissey's great vocals as I do at the listless backing music. For a long time I've believed that contrast to be intentional, and if I'm right that's somewhat disappointing because it means his current songs could be even better than they are.

But as for the fans in general, if there is a sense of disappointment, I think people should examine their assumptions. Art of any kind, and especially pop music, flourishes and thrives for an artist for a period of several years-- if they're truly talented-- and the rest is a long trek through the howling wastes. If someone is disappointed at Morrissey's recent work, what the hell kind of overblown expectations does he have, exactly? Which other artists have succeeded in carving out two or three decades of sterling work? Who else has done it?

No one. No, not even Def Leppard. Expecting a dozen or more great albums from one artist is ridiculous, especially over a span of 20-odd years. Like I said above, I think you have to think a little differently about the newer material. It took me a long time to get used to the idea that The Smiths weren't coming back, but that's because, at the time, I had thought that bands and singers released one incredible record after another for years and years on end. The Smiths' four-year recording lifespan seemed woefully short to me. I mourned over the band's being cut down in the bloom of youth. Years later I understood what Johnny had in mind, which is that bands only have about four years of greatness in them. Some maybe six or seven. But in any case, The Smiths weren't killed in the cradle, they were at least hobbling into middle age with ulcers, thinning hair, and incipient liver spots. The lives of rock bands should be measured in dog years.

In a sense, yes, I'm talking about listening to "Ringleader" with lower expectations, but I'm hoping to convey that there's no shame in that. He's done much, much more than the vast majority of other songwriters. Why hold him to an impossible standard, when no one else meets it either? Morrissey's back catalog does exist, it's sublime, and it's there for our consumption; his latest stuff is good in its own right; and he's as dynamic, intelligent, and beautiful as ever-- and thankfully he's still irritating all the right people. Taking the larger view there's no way his latest music is a let-down.

And the smaller view? You can hum it in the shower. End of story.

We expect a lot, but the good news is that Morrissey delivers regardless. YATQ and ROTT are right up there at the top of the heap, his voice is sounding glorious, and his songwriting has matured in a very wonderful way. It's all down to personal preference, whether you wish him to remain as he was, or to move forward and try new things.

tender hooligan said:
I dont see the problem with last two albums,really. On the contrary, when i fist heard the new album, i thought: this is maybe the best thing ever?Anyone with me? I see new album as a piece of art.
Yes. Give me ROTT before Vauxhall 9 times out of 10, thanks.
And as for the chart "failure" of TYWTML, it's just not commercial enough, many people just don't like the sound of his voice and Morrissey has a strong loyal fanbase who already have the single on the album. Furthermore, YATQ was re-issued months later with all the b-sides on another disc AFTER the loyal fanbase had bought the single disc album already.
Anyway, who cares about Morrissey's chart position? The album is very good. That will do.
THORNBOROUGH FESTIVAL 14/15/16 JULY NORTH YORKSHIRE.

yessss, we're always looking for the perfect album with the perfect songs. we want the new songs to stand up with the old ones...........truth is mozzer does always deliver, the only negative I would say is that his fascination with chart successes may actually hold him back..........

Tex said:
yessss, we're always looking for the perfect album with the perfect songs. we want the new songs to stand up with the old ones...........truth is mozzer does always deliver, the only negative I would say is that his fascination with chart successes may actually hold him back..........

That's my view as well......I think he has the potential to do much better work, if only he stopped obsessing over chart positions...... Anyway, what he's putting out these days is still brilliant.......I dont' see a decline in his work, it's more of an evolution.

Of course we do!
He set himself up to always be the pinnacle
of cool, now
he has to fulfil our expectations.
But seriously, yes we probably do,
but then again he would not be where he is now
without his adoring and somewhat obsessive fans.
:p

Back
Top Bottom