Article on Vauxhall And I

thanks for the link, i never tire of hearing others praise Morrissey's finest album.

it blows my mind to know that many, many people proclaim "V & I" as Mozzer's high-water mark when it can't compete with the awe-inspiring excellence of "Viva Hate".

Oh, and

before anybody jumps my shit on this, I'm not saying "Vauxhall and I" is a bad album, by any means. It's really quite fantastic

just nowhere near as fantastic as "Viva Hate".

Not jumping to any conclusions, but I will say that the atmosphere is totally different between these albums, so they are hard for me to compare, really, but I feel like certain tracks are a bit too withdrawn and cold--clinical, even--for my tastes. And, alternately, some of those songs, including ones only found on VH, have been ones that became personal anthems of mine.

There is a sombre and murky atmosphere to Morrissey's earliest solo releases though that resonates with me (obviously, rite?). There's really nothing like it. It's a large part of why I love Kill Uncle... It reeks of cold, wet leaves, overcast skies and crisp, rot-perfumed air. It's very comfortably familiar to me in that sense... It feels like my favorite seasons. VH has a much icier feel to me. It's not quite as inviting.

PS: I'm not high, I am just really sleep-deprived and bad at poetry.

I love both albums anyway... I probably learn more in favor of V&I in the end though myself... Favorite album? How could I choose one?

the cat in your avatar makes every post you make seem warm and friendly in approach...

I guess that anyone's favourite album is highly subjective, regardless whether it's Morrissey on the cover, or the Wu Tang Clan, or whatever manufactured pap “the kids” are listening to these days. All of Moz's solo album are defined by differing textures and nuances; for me personally, V&I is the record that's most thematically whole, contains the imagery that resonates most strongly – but that's just my view; it's not to detract from anyone who disagrees.

I listened to V&I last night after reading this thread

listened to it three times, in fact.

I'd like to retract what I said earlier; it just might be as excellent as Viva Hate is to me

if he had saved Seasick, Yet Still Docked for V&I instead of burying it in the second half of YA, it would probably be my favourite Moz solo record.

To relive the days when Morrissey wasn't an irrelevance. ah bliss.... And I was at that Aston Villa Leisure Centre gig!

Well written appreciation. It was, is and will remain Morrissey's greatest solo record.

Last edited:
Tags
vauxhall & i
Back
Top Bottom