Anyone get the June issue of Record Collector?

B

Bad Gal

I was browsing in Tower Records and snagged a copy. It was worth the $8.95 pricetag (goddamn imported zines) for the pics alone. I haven't read Songs That Saved Your Life yet, so I was properly shocked to discover that "I Won't Share You" is a descendant of "Ask." But now that I think about it, I get it. V. interesting.

> I was browsing in Tower Records and snagged a copy. It was worth the $8.95
> pricetag (goddamn imported zines) for the pics alone. I haven't read Songs
> That Saved Your Life yet, so I was properly shocked to discover that
> "I Won't Share You" is a descendant of "Ask." But now
> that I think about it, I get it. V. interesting.

For what it's worth,which is probably very little, I loved "Songs That Saved Your Life".

I'm sure it's a great book. I'm just too lazy to read books like that. (I prefer fiction.) I'll get around to it eventually, I suppose.

> I'm sure it's a great book. I'm just too lazy to read books like that. (I
> prefer fiction.) I'll get around to it eventually, I suppose.

Yep it is worth it. It depends how much of an anorak you are about music....in my case quite a big one.

Probably my favourite Smiths/Moz book followed by "Peepholism".

I usually read all fiction myself but I have just finished the 2 Peter Guralnick biographies on Elvis Presley. Over 1200 pages I think. I have never been a fan of Elvis apart from the stuff he did for "Sun".

It was partly for research but they are amazing books about a man the like of whom we will never see again. An amazing life story.

yeah I bought the book by Guralnic after a visit of the sun studios in Memphis in 1996 but never read it. Last train to memphis I think it is called. Is it worth it? Same with Severed alliance. Have it but didn't read it. Songs that saved your life is easy reading. reads like a magazine. I am just lazy.

> yeah I bought the book by Guralnic after a visit of the sun studios in
> Memphis in 1996 but never read it. Last train to memphis I think it is
> called. Is it worth it? Same with Severed alliance. Have it but didn't
> read it. Songs that saved your life is easy reading. reads like a
> magazine. I am just lazy.

The Guralnick books are "Last Train To Memphis" and "Careless Love". They have been described as the best biographies ever in the world of rock and pop and it's hard to disagree.

Despite what Morrissey thinks "The Severed Alliance" is a must.

Back
Top Bottom