Andy Rourke Interview...........

• Thread starter Mr.Improper PIMP of the fuckin nation...and proud
  • Start date
M

Mr.Improper PIMP of the fuckin nation...and proud

Here's an interview I found while surfing the net. Apparently, Mr.Rourke will be DJing at some club in Vegas, and gave this interview. It's actually quite interesting.

http://www.lvweekly.com/2006/04/13/noise.html

For those slower folks out there:

Talking with Andy Rourke of The Smiths

CELEBRATING THE MUSIC OF THE SMITHS ANDY ROURKE (DJ set) WITH THE DRUGS, MIGHTY SIX NINETY, THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND (Friday); DIA (DJ set) WITH THE TENDER BOX, THE MOJO FILTERS, BUDYAKAI (Saturday) Where: Beauty Bar. When: April 14-15, 10 p.m. Price: $10-$15. Info: 598-1965.

The ex-Smiths bassist stops in Las Vegas for a DJ set on Friday, headlining the Beauty Bar's two-day Smiths tribute. Bands will incoporate Smiths' covers into sets of original material and DJs will spin Smiths favorites.

Spencer Patterson

What are your DJs sets like?

I just play what's in my collection, stuff I've been listening to at the moment. There's a few classics I always drag out and play, classic American stuff like the Pixies or the Breeders and then classic English tunes from the Stones up to present day. And I usually do two or three Smiths songs, just what people ask for.

Are you surprised at the level of fanatacism for the Smiths nearly two decades after the band broke up?

I knew what we had was special, but it never fails to surprise me when you get 12-, 13-year- old kids coming up to you. They weren't even born when the Smiths were splitting up, yet they're still buying our music, probably stealing it from their dads or older brothers or sisters. I think that's why it carries on. It's a vicious circle, isn't it? But I'm not complaining.

In December, you joined Johnny Marr onstage to perform "How Soon Is Now" at a benefit in Manchester. How did it feel?

It felt fantastic. We rehearsed it a couple of days before, and it was the first time we played together in about 18 years. It was a great moment, and the crowd went nuts, We filmed it, so there will be a DVD.

Given that experience, what are the chances that much-rumored Smiths reunion might actually happen someday?

I always say never say never, but by the same token, I think people have moved on and are doing their own thing. And I think people have changed as they've grown up, and there might be a clash of egos or clash of personalities. Johnny seems very happy with what he's doing on his own, and so is Morrissey. But who knows what will happen.

If you had a vote would you be onboard?

I'd be okay with it, yeah. I think maybe one tour would be fun.

Morrissey recently disclosed that the band turned down a $5 million offer to play the Coachella Festival this year. Were you consulted on that decision?

I think he just took that one himself. It would have been nice to be asked.

Are you in touch with Morrissey or Mike Joyce?

Morrissey, no. I'm in touch with Mike, although I haven't spoken to him in a while. Johnny and I are in touch. It's just Morrissey, really, his choice, not mine. I'm pretty easygoing. I'll talk to anyone within reason.

The Smiths will be Hall of Fame eligible in 2008. Is that something that interests you?

Yeah, you never know. We might actually get to sit down at the same table and talk about things. So I'd be up for it, yeah. But you can't predict what other people are gonna do.

thanks for posting this, it was nice to read. He seemed really positive. Cant see the ex smiths sitting down and discussing entry in to the hall of fame though.

Awaiting litany of posts denouncing Rourke as a has-been.

Re: "It would have been nice to be asked". Why? Was he ever?

There would have been no point would there? If Morrissey isn't going to do it I doubt the money would still be on the table for the other three.

Back
Top Bottom