"The Smiths' Meat Is Murder is nauseating to vegetarians and carnivores alike" - The A.V. Club

wow that was unusually poorly written as he didnt make much of a case for his argument other than i like catchier more uptempo pop oriented music. i mean how soon is now is very good musically but the lyrics are just so so, a fun play on words with no other meaning than i am a person with human needs. it doesnt hold much emotional weight imo. he didnt make much of a case for his argument. i will say, as an aside, that the bassline to barbarism is reason enough he shlould have had a royalties stake and why marr is not the sole reason for the music of the smiths. one of many. i should also say that marr frequently tells people who mistake his guitar parts for roukes basslines that he should get the credit for that so i have no problem with marr and idolize him to death. it just bgets to me the simple myth that people wanna believe

Not when the 'vocal minority' is dissenting from the majority opinion just for the sake of it, and to get attention,

FBE. Keep seeking that truth; you are not even close to having it as it stands.

because they live on their own in Arizona and have to fill their days somehow.

Is that supposed to be an insult--me living on my own? It isn't. I consider living alone to be a privilege--one in which I very much enjoy. Do you honesty think someone with my attributes would have a problem shacking up with someone? My days are filled with work and social interaction. When I come home at night, I get to enjoy being by myself--again, a privilege.

So it's not frustrating at all then, in fact, it only invokes feelings of pity from me.

Seriously, do you think I am that hypersensitive that I let the opinion of some anonymous, self-righteous tool on the internet dictate my perception of my self-worth? I don't.

Which I'm sure is not the desired reaction. Is it? Does this reaction frustrate *you*? LOL!

All the best,
The Truth Seeker

My stated opinions don't need to provoke a reaction in order for them to have merit.

Last edited:
So, a meat-eater hates a song called 'Meat is Murder'. Well now - isn't that a SHOCKING surprise.

What next - a soldier who thinks 'War (what is it good for)' is a festering pile o' shite?

FBE. Keeping seeking that truth; you are not even close to having it as it stands.

Is that supposed to be an insult--me living on my own? It isn't. I consider living alone to be a privilege--one in which I very much enjoy. Do you honesty think someone with my attributes would have a problem shacking up with someone? My days are filled with work and social interaction. When I come home at night, I get to enjoy being by myself--again, a privilege.

Seriously, do you think I am that hypersensitive that I let the opinion of some anonymous, self-righteous tool on the internet dictate my perception of my self-worth? I don't.

My stated opinions don't need to provoke a reaction in order for them to have merit.

It's a shame that you have to waste your intellect on the mentally ill. I don't like the song Meat is Murder not because of the lyrics, but because I find it completely tuneless. I think it is an honorable attempt to bring voice to his beliefs, but not as a song. It falls into the "dirge" category of which he has made a few. Mostly written about issues surrounding his court case. What She Said, That Joke, amazing.

BTW..Arizona (if you do live there) is a great place to live :thumb:

It's a shame that you have to waste your intellect on the mentally ill. I don't like the song Meat is Murder not because of the lyrics, but because I find it completely tuneless. I think it is an honorable attempt to bring voice to his beliefs, but not as a song. It falls into the "dirge" category of which he has made a few. Mostly written about issues surrounding his court case. What She Said, That Joke, amazing.

BTW..Arizona (if you do live there) is a great place to live :thumb:

I do live there. :) Thanks. Are you still in California? You mentioned living there at one point, a while back.

I do live there. :) Thanks. Are you still in California? You mentioned living there at one point, a while back.

I wish I still lived in CA. Newport Beach = Heaven on earth. That seems like lifetimes ago. Since then I lived in Las Vegas and now the Philly area. Family ties pulled me back. I have re-familiarized myself with the fine art of snow shoveling and ice scraping. Suffering builds character...or so they say ;)

I have also lived in Chicago and Phoenix amongst other towns across the US. I seem to have a restless heart when it comes to establishing a residence...much like our Moz...kindred spirits in that sense.

The first time I saw the cover for "Meat is Murder" (in 1985, when it was new) it took my breath away. The moment I heard the song I knew that Morrissey had (once again) managed to convey something unsettling that rang very true, and went very deep.

If you don't like a song then don't listen to it. The only reason to rail against it (especially after thirty years) is because it still gets under your skin which is, I suspect, exactly what Morrissey had intended. The song is nauseating, and for good reason.

Morrissey IS nauseating. When he released this album he was hanging with James, who were full on Vegan, so it's implausible to suggest he didnt' realise he was a total hypocrite in 84.
3 decades later this 'song' alone is testament to his endless capacity for delusionality and self-deceptive cognitive dissonance. The only wonder is he doesn't spontaneously combust on stage when he fires up this provocative troll anthem. He eats cheese. He's a charlatan, as are most of his 'fans'. Reality Bites is living a more logical, ethical diet than this fool.

Morrissey is indeed 'unsettling' and he makes my skin crawl because he's done more to harm animal rights than to protect them. His endless cheese-eating surrender merchant tactics would be fun if it only damaged his risible claim to be a 'radical' but it affects/infects the entire debate about animal rights. He was always enabled by equal frauds at the NME & PETA, now he's just an eccentric crack-pot who claims to care about animals whilst eating cheese. You can laugh at him or throw mouldy cheese, but nobody of any integrity now takes such a fool seriously.

best
BB

Last edited:
Honestly, if Meat is Murder was about a different topic I doubt it would get all the hatred it does. It says more about the listener than the song--even if the listener is "75% vegetarian."

Morrissey is *75% vegetarian*. He's also a nauseating prat.

best
BB

I wish I still lived in CA. Newport Beach = Heaven on earth. That seems like lifetimes ago. Since then I lived in Las Vegas and now the Philly area. Family ties pulled me back. I have re-familiarized myself with the fine art of snow shoveling and ice scraping. Suffering builds character...or so they say ;)

I have also lived in Chicago and Phoenix amongst other towns across the US. I seem to have a restless heart when it comes to establishing a residence...much like our Moz...kindred spirits in that sense.

I have a restless heart as well and have also lived in many states. But I am very happy here and plan on staying unless some wonderful career opportunity should arise. I don't miss the shoveling and scraping of snow. My son lives in Phoenix. Did you like it there?

Re: "The Smiths' Meat Is Murder is nauseating to vegetarians and carnivores alike"

I have a restless heart as well and have also lived in many states. But I am very happy here and plan on staying unless some wonderful career opportunity should arise. I don't miss the shoveling and scraping of snow. My son lives in Phoenix. Did you like it there?

I went to college at ASU and lived in Tempe then later moved back to Phoenix before moving to LA. My dad lives in Goodyear, AZ and I visit him every few years. Everything is so built up now it is unrecognizable. Strip malls have ruined America. AZ is where I spent most of my youth so it will always have a warm place in my heart.

- - - Updated - - -

Morrissey is *75% vegetarian*. He's also a nauseating prat.

best
BB

I'm 75% a virgin :D and quite the raconteur.

Morrissey IS nauseating. When he released this album he was hanging with James, who were full on Vegan, so it's implausible to suggest he didnt' realise he was a total hypocrite in 84.
3 decades later this 'song' alone is testament to his endless capacity for delusionality and self-deceptive cognitive dissonance. The only wonder is he doesn't spontaneously combust on stage when he fires up this provocative troll anthem. He eats cheese. He's a charlatan, as are most of his 'fans'. Reality Bites is living a more logical, ethical diet than this fool.

Morrissey is indeed 'unsettling' and he makes my skin crawl because he's done more to harm animal rights than to protect them. His endless cheese-eating surrender merchant tactics would be fun if it only damaged his risible claim to be a 'radical' but it affects/infects the entire debate about animal rights. He was always enabled by equal frauds at the NME & PETA, now he's just an eccentric crack-pot who claims to care about animals whilst eating cheese. You can laugh at him or throw mouldy cheese, but nobody of any integrity now takes such a fool seriously.

best
BB

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

Re: "The Smiths' Meat Is Murder is nauseating to vegetarians and carnivores alike"

I went to college at ASU and lived in Tempe then later moved back to Phoenix before moving to LA. My dad lives in Goodyear, AZ and I visit him every few years. Everything is so built up now it is unrecognizable. Strip malls have ruined America. AZ is where I spent most of my youth so it will always have a warm place in my heart.

Do you miss the heat? Or do you prefer the cooler weather in PA?

Do you miss the heat? Or do you prefer the cooler weather in PA?

If I had to choose between 116 degrees or zero...I would choose the heat, but life intervenes in one's true wishes. Much like Morrissey...my mother takes priority. It's his inability to secure, find, desire a lasting relationship that I relate to the most in his music. The idea of him never "settling down" is what draws me the most to him. Why "settle" for anyone or anything or anywhere?

Last edited:

If I had to choose between 116 degrees or zero...I would choose the heat, but life intervenes in one's true wishes. Much like Morrissey...my mother takes priority. It's his inability to secure, find, desire a lasting relationship that I relate to the most in his music. The idea of him never "settling down" is what draws me the most to him. Why "settle" for anyone or anything or anywhere?

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately most settle. Nice that you are taking care of your mom. I plan to be there for my mom as well--which may mean I end up back in Florida one day.

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately most settle. Nice that you are taking care of your mom. I plan to be there for my mom as well--which may mean I end up back in Florida one day.

Ah...from one warm climate to another. Lucky. I try to get my family to move south but they are more entrenched than an English soldier in World War I or II for that matter. I guess happiness is like an Easter egg hunt. If you search for it, you can find it. I am..to this point...eggless.

Ah...from one warm climate to another. Lucky. I try to get my family to move south but they are more entrenched than an English soldier in World War I or II for that matter. I guess happiness is like an Easter egg hunt. If you search for it, you can find it. I am..to this point...eggless.

My basket was empty at one time. But I have several eggs in there now. :) I'm sure you have a few eggs as well--if you look around. Under the bed? The back of the closet?

My basket was empty at one time. But I have several eggs in there now. :) I'm sure you have a few eggs as well--if you look around. Under the bed? The back of the closet?

I suspect, ahem, if the nature of his posts are anything to go by.............he's been looking on this site :thumb: :brows: :lbf: But I see how you've let him down gently and that's very nice of you.

Re: Meat Is Muder

Hi everyone (especially realitybites and evennow), please stay on topic.

You can talk about personal stuff elsewhere.

Thank you very much.

I suspect, ahem, if the nature of his posts are anything to go by.............he's been looking on this site :thumb: :brows: :lbf: But I see how you've let him down gently and that's very nice of you.

Interesting analysis. But you are mistaken. I have let no one down. :D Life is full of twists and turns and possibilities. You never know where you'll end up.

You ready for the slop they are predicting for this evening, into tomorrow? Shovels and salt at the ready? Haha!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom