What books would you recommend and why?

• Thread starter I KNOW YOU ARE, BUT WHAT AM I?
  • Start date
"The Well Of Loneliness" - because Morrissey recommended it to me, "The Secret History" - because it draws you in like a warm bath, "Vox" - because it's horny as f***, "Independence Day" - because it makes you look at life differently and appreciate it more.

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

A 4-volume series, recently re-released in two books (Shadow & Claw, Sword & Citadel).

Story of an apprentice torturer in an earth so far in the future that society has long since returned to a medieval existence. Very dark, imbued with religious allegory, myth, physics. Readable on a vast number of levels, from fun escapism to scholarly exploration of modern fables. I read the series for the first time in 1983, and have re-read it 5 times since. Every time I am more moved, more drawn in. It is what Tolkien would have written if he could have stood on the shoulders of the giant he himself became.

The two-book volumes are only $10 each at Amazon. I can't recommend it highly enough if you have even the slightest interest in epic fiction.

pic125856.jpg

Re: Learning To Fly by Victoria Beckham

An epic, yet touching and insightful account of one young woman's struggle to succeed against all the odds.

The Wrong Boy by Willy Russell. It's written in letters to Morrissey but even if you ignore that, it is one of the best books I've ever read.

Crime and punishment by dostoevsky. i displays the reality of our actions...

zom

I am not a great reader of books but these are some highlights of the last few years of my reading.

"Junky" William Burroughs- because there is no more accurate record of the life of a heroin addict.
"Adrian Mole From Minor To Major" Sue Townsend- because there is no funnier book in existence that is also so politically and socially astute and sharp.
"The Importance of Being Earnest" Oscar Wilde- because it's a fantastic witty romp.
"Metroland" Julian Barnes- because it's a really good, atmospheric read that puts you in his life.
"A Liar's Autobiography" Graham Chapman- because it's hilariously funny, excellently written and shows not only was he a comic genius but that he had an amazingly warm and generous nature and an outlook we could all learn a great deal from.
"The Quantity Theory of Insanity" Will Self- because it has some really well written and clever short stories in it that surprise and amuse as well as horrify.
"Our Dumb Century" The Onion- because there is no more accurate or sharp satire on the 20th century in existence and it is laugh out loud funny.
"Complete Prose" Woody Allen- because it is the funniest and most surreal book I have ever read and confirms his genius.

"The Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger - Yes, you've probably read it. Read it again.
"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman - an interesting look at Middle America and the gods that people brought with them from all over the globe when they came to settle here.
"Time and Again" by Jack Finney - a really sweet time travel mystery
"A Cold Hand in Mine" by Robert Aickman - a collection of short, creepy stories by a fantastic (and underrated) British author. The best one is "The Swords."
"I Shudder At Your Touch" - a collection of 22 stories about sex and death.
"Watership Down" by Richard Adams - great fun, even if you don't give a f*** about rabbits
"I'm With the Band" by Pamela Des Barres - the sexual memoirs of everyone's favorite groupie!
"Edie: An American Biography" by Jean Stein - the biography of Edie Sedgwick, Warhol party girl supreme
"Nico Icon" by Richard Witts - the most extensive biography on Nico available.

Howlingly funny:

"A Confederacy of Dunces" J.K. Toole
"Grey Area" Will Self
"Money" Martin Amis
"Blue Movie" Terry Southern
"Lucky Jim" Kingsley Amis
"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" Mark Twain

About the 20th century:

"Herzog" Saul Bellow
"The Erasers" Alain Robbe-Grillet
"Inside The Whale" George Orwell

The 'real' Los Angeles: