Romper Stomper - Moz's fave film ...

clarification...

> if you've ever seen nil by mouth, you will
> know it is @#!!! ing awful. even romper stomper isn't that bad.

do you mean awful as in the quality of the movie, or awful as in the subject matter that it portrays?

all i know is that it was written/directed by gary oldman & is a semi-autobiographical portrayal of his alcoholic father. am i accurate?

what do you think of the film?

-c

moz31.jpg

Re: I Personally Preferred Fay Wray...

> ...to Jessica Lange, but I digress...

> I don't know that the film "celebrates" their
> lifestyle and views,

A lotta Nazis seem to think it does ...

so much as just honestly portrays them. Are
> you suggesting that certain topics should be off limits in film
> and other art forms, simply because they're negative aspects of
> society?

No, but with racism on the rise, I think if I did it, I'd make it clear on which side of the fence I was standing. It's a difficult area ... tackling the subject of racism amorally. It kind of calls out for you to make a moral stance.

> Ambiguity? The racism was quite BLATANT, actually.

I meant on the part of the director's stance and Moz's stance

> Weren't we all?
> (I don't even know what that means).

You know - the bush he used to carry around in his back pocket!

Re: Nil by mouth and romper stomper

> i

> who knows why young esteban likes the film? perhaps he just
> needs a good shag....

Or even a bad one. Why does this board censor rude words like @#!!!ing? Does it also censor @#!!!? And what about arse?

Re: It's a FILM

> Please, you are confusing actors on a film with real life
> skinheads.

> And from what I remember, the skinheads get theirs in the end,
> so it's not really pro-skinhead

Only one of them ... it's just that it's a film full of Nazi thugs brutally kicking the @#!!! out of ethnics and people on the board are going on about how erotic it all is. Makes me wonder exactly where some fans' heads are
at ...

Re: alcoholism

> do you mean awful as in the quality of the movie, or awful as in
> the subject matter that it portrays?

obviously the subject matter it displays.

> all i know is that it was written/directed by gary oldman &
> is a semi-autobiographical portrayal of his alcoholic father. am
> i accurate?

as i have had experiences with people who are alcoholics and realize the destructive effects alcohol has on people, i can empathize with that. but to me, seeing that movie makes me think "what good does it do me watching this film". i can recall i saw the same think when i saw "henry: portrait of a serial killer".

> what do you think of the film?

> -c

...Or Was It Fay Ray (no W)?

> No, but with racism on the rise, I think if I did it, I'd make
> it clear on which side of the fence I was standing. It's a
> difficult area ... tackling the subject of racism amorally. It
> kind of calls out for you to make a moral stance.

Or sometimes, it's just entertainment. I mean, skinheads DO exist in our society and once in a while, they're going to turn up in movies, songs and other art forms (because, like it or not, their subculture is very fascinating to "certain people").

> You know - the bush he used to carry around in his back pocket!

Oh, I didn't mean that I didn't know what YOU meant - I meant that I really didn't know where I was going with MY reply.

Well, my Banana Nut Crunch awaits...

BECAUSE HE GETS AROUSED BY THUGS

the old queen has a thug-fetish...skinheads, boxers, football players.
it's all too simple. morrissey likes getting roughed up by burly, hard men.

> Romper Stomper, which Morrissey claims is his favourite film
> ever, was on British Channel 4 late Saturday night ... about
> vicious Nazi skinheads who go round graphically and gruesomely
> beating up and maiming immigrants.Very upsetting violence.
> Did anyone else it or have any thoughts as to why it might be
> Moz's favourite film?

well i wonder

i certainly didn't get that feeling, nor did anyone i saw it with (we all skipped class and saw it opening say). it did NOT glorify the violence of these people. i suppose if a depraved person saw it, they would interpret it as glorification in order to justify their own depravity. but it seemed clear that the point was how awful and useless there people were, ultimately.

the non-russell crowe main character obviously doubted the integrity of the life he had been living...and the chick? she was just an idiot.

> I think the film largely glorified the thugs in it.

Re: well i wonder

> i certainly didn't get that feeling, nor did anyone i saw it
> with (we all skipped class and saw it opening say). it did NOT
> glorify the violence of these people. i suppose if a depraved
> person saw it, they would interpret it as glorification in order
> to justify their own depravity.

If you check through the internet, you'll find a lot of Nazi/White Power people who did. It certainly seemed to luxuriate in some of the violence towards the ethnics.
The director has stated his anti-racist reasons for making it, but on that count the film's a failure as so many people interpret it the other way.

Re: BECAUSE HE GETS AROUSED BY THUGS

> the old queen has a thug-fetish...skinheads, boxers, football
> players.
> it's all too simple. morrissey likes getting roughed up by
> burly, hard men.

Oh, I know. See earlier mail about the eroticisation of your fascist oppressors - great tragedy in my view. Just extends the cycle of violence.

Re: ...Or Was It Fay Ray (no W)?

> Well, my Banana Nut Crunch awaits...

Have you tried Bird's Eye potato waffles with hummus on? Then sprinkle garlic peppers on the hummus and put a tomato slice on top.

> Have you tried Bird's Eye potato waffles with hummus on?

Does Kellogs make it?
j/k

> Then sprinkle garlic peppers on the hummus and put a tomato slice
> on top.

Sounds a bit too complicated for my culinarily-challenged self, but I'll keep it in mind. :)

Re: It's a FILM

> Only one of them ... it's just that it's a film full of Nazi
> thugs brutally kicking the @#!!! out of ethnics and people on
> the board are going on about how erotic it all is. Makes me
> wonder exactly where some fans' heads are
> at ...

I don't think people are saying the violence is that erotic. I think they are saying that the skinhead dude was hot looking....well, hot looking in relative sense. I recognized that he could potentially be good looking, but silly me, I like guys with hair.

I watched the film. They showed the ethnics getting roughed up to bring more drama to their retalliation. Didn't it make you feel better watching them fight back AFTER you had watched the horrible things that had happened earlier on? It puts a face on the victims instead of showing random people fighting back without provocation. Without those earlier scenes, the movie would have had nothing but a Rambo quality to it. You see a guy, know he's bad, and shoot him. Same thing. Those people from India (it's been a while since I've seen it and can't remember where they are from) would have been nothing more than random strangers on the street who decided to chase down skinheads. Now, you have their personal drama involved in it.

See? Just because those scenes exist doesn't mean they are necessarily bad.

The reason why "real" skinheads liked this film is because when the retaliation came back, their gut instinct as what they are would have made them think, "Look at those bastards getting our guys!" They would have sympathized with the skinheads because they know no sympathy for any of the other groups. They would have been outraged that a minority bothered to retaliate at all, and knowing no sympathy, they would have cheered on "their" guys because they clearly would have felt "their" guys were in the right all along.

the band in heaven, they play my favorite song, play it one more time, play it all night long

> Sounds a bit too complicated for my culinarily-challenged self,
> but I'll keep it in mind. :)

Oh, it's very easy and it'll change your life. You'll never eat anything else again.

> Did anyone else it or have any thoughts as to why it might be
> Moz's favourite film?

He likes it for the sex. Russell Crowe is hot.

urgh...

you only proved my point with this statement...depraved people interpreted the film as they wanted to... it says more about the people than about the film, its goals, or the directors ability...

you have the opinion that the film was a failure because of the twisted interpretations of stupid, sick people. you may as well now go ahead and say that morrissey supports racism just because stupid people interpret "the national front disco" and other tracks as glorifying skinheads and neo-nazi ideas.

stupid interpretations by stupid people do not a failure make...

> If you check through the internet, you'll find a lot of
> Nazi/White Power people who did. It certainly seemed to
> luxuriate in some of the violence towards the ethnics.
> The director has stated his anti-racist reasons for making it,
> but on that count the film's a failure as so many people
> interpret it the other way.

you're obviously thinking, but...

i have not looked at your earlier post, but i have to disagree with this statement you've just made...

his fascination with these sorts of people does not eroticize oppression or oppressors... he simply has a thing for testosterone-fueled "bad boys." i don't think you could argue that boxers, football players and steve mcqueen are oppressors who morrissey is eroticizing. they are simply overtly traditionally masculine men who he happens to find attractive.

these skinheads, criminals and street thugs he romanticizes share some of these "masculine" qualities, and i fully understand his fascination with it...

> Oh, I know. See earlier mail about the eroticisation of your
> fascist oppressors - great tragedy in my view. Just extends the
> cycle of violence.

Back
Top Bottom