Ooooh! C4 Tonight at 23:10 'John Peel's record box'

T

Tingle

John Peel's Record Box
"In a small, battered wooden box, John Peel kept a precious selection of 7-inch singles that meant more to him than any of the others. This one-hour special reveals the contents of this box, providing a unique insight into the eclectic tastes of the renowned DJ and broadcaster."

I bet Terry & Gerry's "Butter's on the Bread" EP is there!

> Looky here:

It's gonna disappoint a lot of people, but the man was a maverick, a genius, a gentleman. I met him at a Heresy gig at the Metropole in, err, 1986, and he was friendly, talkative, knowledgable, and bought the beer.

For me, the highlights of "The Box" are:

The White Stripes - Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground
Simple chord riffage that spans 5 decades.

The Negatives - Stake-Out
Bradfords finest! Astonished to see them in there!

The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
What else to say?

Electro Hippies - Mega Armageddon Death
One of the best gigs I ever went to was the Electro Hippies at the Queen's Hall - just great. Despite what Stuart Maconie says in "Cider With Roadies", I always thought the Electro Hippies had their heart in the right place - noise with conscience. A band I used to be in, The Warriors Of Piss (formerly Beer Beast), owed a lot to them. The song itself is less than a second. I remember Earache records released a double-A side; on one side, the aforementioned song, on the other, You Suffer by Napalm Death. It was a joke, and they knew it, and Peel knew it.

Peel also opened the Shipley office of BCB the year before last. My band/radio friend Pete asked him if he ever played Bogshed anymore - Sheila butted in and said she was amazed we still remembered.

So many memories - Sophie & Peter Johnston, Bogshed, Big Flame, The Smiths, Cocteau Twins - just so many.

SK./Peter

Back
Top Bottom