Old time phrase that make you laugh

• Thread starter The Seeker of Good Songs
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Good Songs

Please share phrase or sayings (with explanation, if needed) that your parents, grandparents, or other old timer, may have said that make you laugh.

One that I recall was one my dad said when we'd play cards and he'd get delt a bad hand. He'd say that he was "sucking hind tit (or teat) on that one".

I just thought of that today for some reason and it made me laugh again.

> Please share phrase or sayings (with explanation, if needed) that your
> parents, grandparents, or other old timer, may have said that make you
> laugh.

> One that I recall was one my dad said when we'd play cards and he'd get
> delt a bad hand. He'd say that he was "sucking hind tit (or teat) on
> that one".

all things that my grandma used to say:

"they are so bucktoothed that they could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence"

"shit fire and save the matches!"

(if people weren't moving fast enough) "get your finger out of your ass!"

people weren't "heathens". they were "heatherns" as in "they're acting like a bunch of heatherns"

she also used to do a good impersonation of ex-texas governor Ann Richards back in the day when George W was just a blip on the radar. "poor george!"

On seeing someone on TV with a big mouth my grandmother remarked that "she could eat an apple through a tennis racket".

they would have to have a very SMALL mouth to do that, the old tart had dementure i'm afraid!

> Please share phrase or sayings (with explanation, if needed) that your
> parents, grandparents, or other old timer, may have said that make you
> laugh.

> One that I recall was one my dad said when we'd play cards and he'd get
> delt a bad hand. He'd say that he was "sucking hind tit (or teat) on
> that one".

While not very amusing, my grandmother oft used an expression sure to titulate Moz fans, declaring not to have seen someone "...in a month of Sundays".

Hmmm... I can't recall any of my relations indulging in colourful expression, must be the Puritanism of my mothers side. Although, I did once overhear an alcoholic great-aunt say of someone that they "...didn't know shit from Shinola".

Your father's expression reminded me of a redneck, with whom I went to school, remarking of a pregnant woman: "she aint done calved yet?!". Although his most memorable locution was surely the moment when, in an explicitly hayseed accent thickened w/ indignation, he yammered out "now what do ya wanna go and do somethin' like that fer?!", the class dissolving in hillarity... you just had to be there, I suppose.

> On seeing someone on TV with a big mouth my grandmother remarked that
> "she could eat an apple through a tennis racket".

THAT IS BIZZARRE

We should preserve these phrases for posterity ... old folk are very undervalued.
When being scathing of the fact that something is never going to be accomplished, my nan and my mum say, "when Nelson gets his eye back" (even though I've since found out that Nelson never lost his eye, he was just blinded)
My dad hates people who are tight with their cash is apt to say that "they could peel an orange in their pocket with a boxing glove on".
And if someone is complaining of being cold when you're perfectly fine, tell them, "Tha't nesh".
However, phrases aside, the best 'old person' faux pas I've ever heard was from my great gran, God rest her soul, who lived in quite a rough area of Sheffield, near a cinema called the Rex. One afternoon, presumably after a couple of Whiskey's, she hailed a cab in the middle of town, hopped in the back and said "Driver, drop me off at the Ritz" ... priceless.

> Although his most memorable locution was surely the moment
> when, in an explicitly hayseed accent thickened w/ indignation, he
> yammered out "now what do ya wanna go and do somethin' like that
> fer?!"

Sounds like something they'd say on "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "The Waltons"

but in regard to not knowing "shit from Shinola", see the link to know what Shinola really is. Clever ad, could never do that these days.

SHINOLA SHOE POLISH

Back
Top Bottom