How could you be so naive?

L

Lawyer Liar

Morrissey is perfectly within his rights to threaten legal action. Rumours of this kind aren't idle tittle-tattle, they are extremely serious criticisms of his business practices that could have dramatic repercussions on his potential to organise future tours. My jaw dropped through several floors of the office block in which I work when I read the original story. . .it has to be one of the most clear-cut cases of libel I have ever read on a fansite. Websites aren't isolated oases of gossip where the libels law don't apply, where you can say X pop star has had sex with Y pop star's pet baboon.

Oh, and contrary to what I've read elsewhere on this site, in court, the onus would not be on Moz, but on YOU to prove these rumours true.

Remove all traces of the rumour immediately. It would be a shame to lose such a wonderful site. . .unless you feel you CAN prove these allegations, of course! Otherwise, nobody should feel outraged at Moz's actions. . .he is indisputably, unquestionably, incontestably in the right.

Zzzzzzz

f*** OFF you prick!!ZZZzzzzz

Its not as if its the NME its a fan sites by a fan who has done more for the morrissey cause than he has himself.

Dont bite the hand that feeds you my mam always told me.

> Morrissey is perfectly within his rights to threaten legal action. Rumours
> of this kind aren't idle tittle-tattle, they are extremely serious
> criticisms of his business practices that could have dramatic
> repercussions on his potential to organise future tours. My jaw dropped
> through several floors of the office block in which I work when I read the
> original story. . .it has to be one of the most clear-cut cases of libel I
> have ever read on a fansite. Websites aren't isolated oases of gossip
> where the libels law don't apply, where you can say X pop star has had sex
> with Y pop star's pet baboon.

> Oh, and contrary to what I've read elsewhere on this site, in court, the
> onus would not be on Moz, but on YOU to prove these rumours true.

> Remove all traces of the rumour immediately. It would be a shame to lose
> such a wonderful site. . .unless you feel you CAN prove these allegations,
> of course! Otherwise, nobody should feel outraged at Moz's actions. . .he
> is indisputably, unquestionably, incontestably in the right.

Re: Zzzzzzz

> f*** OFF you prick!!ZZZzzzzz

Are you tired? Want to go to bed? I won't try to wake you in the morning, cos you will be gone. . .

> Its not as if its the NME its a fan sites by a fan who has done more for
> the morrissey cause than he has himself.

But surely it's precisely BECAUSE it's a "fan site by a fan who has done more for the morrissey cause than he has himself" that it should have been held back from discussing such dodgy rumours. The notion that a site's dedication to a pop star frees it from any moral responsibility over what appears on that site is just deeply naive and totally wrong. The question of whether these rumours are libellous has NOTHING to do with WHERE they were published. Are you seriously suggesting that this site's years of support for Moz justifies any libellous rumours it reveals?

> Dont bite the hand that feeds you my mam always told me.

Moz has bitten it all the way down to the elbow, so Lord knows why you're particularly surprised. . .

Its only libel if its untrue

I for one believe the tour members are out of pocket and the people who supplied equipment and other services

That means he has no legal leg to stand on

Lets see if he does sue

My money is on the allegations being true and he wont do squat

> Its only libel if its untrue

But Moz won't need to prove that it's untrue. This site will need to prove that it's true. I assume that will be very difficult to do. And technically speaking, the facts are less relevant than whether this site can SUCCESSFULLY PRESENT THEM in court. There's a huge difference between KNOWING something to be true and PROVING it in a court of law.

> I for one believe the tour members are out of pocket and the people who
> supplied equipment and other services
Another libellous statement. I'm not even sure why I'm replying, since the site - if it wants to prevent legal action - will have to remove your comments.

> That means he has no legal leg to stand on
ONLY if this site can conclusively prove the rumour true.

> Lets see if he does sue

Yes, let's. Knowing his love for courtroom melodrama and his deeply ingrained self-destructive streak, I suspect he will sue.

> My money is on the allegations being true and he wont do squat

> f*** OFF you prick!!ZZZzzzzz

> Its not as if its the NME its a fan sites by a fan who has done more for
> the morrissey cause than he has himself.

> Dont bite the hand that feeds you my mam always told me.

Basically you're right. Have him in a fight PD!!

Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom