Has Morrissey lost touch...

J

johnny rogan

Has Morrissey lost touch with the original Smiths disciples?? With now living in LA (not England), writting songs that are not speaking in the same tone, and wear fake blue contact lenes are all these signs that Morrissey is losing touch with the people who buy his records and supported him all these years. Is "Well I Wonder" and "Dagenham Dave" very similar in strength of song. Just wanted to know what you people think?

I think I should take a wet kipper and slap you around the gills with it. Don't you have anything better to do ?

Hazard.

> Has Morrissey lost touch with the original Smiths disciples??
> With now living in LA (not England), writting songs that are not
> speaking in the same tone, and wear fake blue contact lenes are
> all these signs that Morrissey is losing touch with the people
> who buy his records and supported him all these years. Is
> "Well I Wonder" and "Dagenham Dave" very
> similar in strength of song. Just wanted to know what you people
> think?

> With now living in LA (not England), writting songs that are not
> speaking in the same tone, and wear fake blue contact lenes are
> think?

Blue contacts?

LMC x

When you lay in awe on your bedroom floor

I think he's still got a few quality albums/lyrics in him. Although, I think now that's he's in a state of life where he's content that there isn't as much urgency to spill all of that emotion out for the public to see. I think he's found 'a place in this world' and although its good for him personally, it's absolutly terrible for his musical career.

Lets face it...Morrissey is the man who wrote all of those wonderful lyrics, the ones that moved us all enough to include him in our time, our thoughts. He is (or was as the public opinion 'has' it recently) talented. I think it's just a matter of tapping into ...I don't know what to call it, forgive me, but that way that he had of lyrically expressing things.

Regardless of whatever Hollywood transformations that have taken place on him, I feel that he still experiences the basic human emotions/fears that drew all of us to his lyrics in the first place. It's just a matter of making himself strive to reach that level of expression again. Which, when you're living comfortably in the Hollywood hills, might seem like sadist challenge that perhaps isn't worth pursuing. But, hopefully he will.

When (and if) a new album is released, I will be one of the first to rush out and purchase it. Somewhat in the blind faith that it just might be on he level of the talent that I have heard from him in the past. Perhaps it will be, or perhaps I'll be a bit let down. But, reardless he still has the potential for greatness again, it's up to him as to if he fulfills that or not. Let's hope that he does.

All of my love Steven...

stamped.jpg

> ...and wear fake blue contact lenes...

His blue eyes are very much his own.

He has always had those beautiful, sparkling blue eyes. I think the reason that some don't realize that is because a majority of his photos have been taken in b/w. The first time I saw him in color, those eyes were definately the grabbing point. Don't even get me started on the eyebrows and the etc.

Have you seen his eyes lately?

A common thread in all of these messages is the blue contacts. Morrissey started wearing those around 98'. If you had not met him before that period, then you would not have seen him without them. Yes his eyes have always been blue but not that blue. I am sure this will not end with this post but I have seen him with them in. (Alburq. in store) I wish everyone a wonderful day!

Actually, I am familiar with the blue lenses...

> A common thread in all of these messages is the blue contacts.
> Morrissey started wearing those around 98'. If you had not met
> him before that period, then you would not have seen him without
> them. Yes his eyes have always been blue but not that blue. I am
> sure this will not end with this post but I have seen him with
> them in. (Alburq. in store) I wish everyone a wonderful day!

Since I started wearing contacts again last year, they told me that they get the lenses the color of your eyes, as it makes it easier to find them if they fall somewhere while you are trying to put them in or take them out. Mine are also blue, but they hardly enhance my natural color, which I get compliments on whether I have the contacts in or not. The change they offer is miniscule.

Laura

> think?

"Well I wonder" is my favourite Smiffs song. Thin ice matey Jim.

I agree

> I think he's still got a few quality albums/lyrics in him.
> Although, I think now that's he's in a state of life where he's
> content that there isn't as much urgency to spill all of that
> emotion out for the public to see. I think he's found 'a place
> in this world' and although its good for him personally, it's
> absolutly terrible for his musical career.

Though I agree with what you said above, only I would take the phrase "...in a state of life where he's content..." and simply say he has matured. We all go through different times and challenges in life, and the Smiths seemed to be born out of the youth and drive he had to escape from the place he felt so repressed. Honestly I don't know what makes me listen to certain music over and over and buy the same band producing new albums just because I liked them before, but I can certainly say that I will buy anything he comes out with, if necessary!

> Regardless of whatever Hollywood transformations that have taken
> place on him, I feel that he still experiences the basic human
> emotions/fears that drew all of us to his lyrics in the first
> place. It's just a matter of making himself strive to reach that
> level of expression again. Which, when you're living comfortably
> in the Hollywood hills, might seem like sadist challenge that
> perhaps isn't worth pursuing. But, hopefully he will.

You never know!

Laura

16 clumsy and shy

> phrase "...in a state of life where he's content..."
> and simply say he has matured.

True. It could be just a stage that he's moved into. Although, lets hope that intimite lyrics, extreme sensitivity, and a 'lovely singing voice' are not synonomous with immaturity.

>We all go through different times
> and challenges in life,

dial a cliche

>and the Smiths seemed to be born out of
> the youth and drive he had to escape from the place he felt so
> repressed.

Let us remember that 'the smiths' were more than one person though.

Morrissey's lyrics are a product of his experiences, then and now (that includes things he's overheard, stories he's been told, his expereinces of life). Although, the passion behind them, and the witty style that I loved is something that I see as achievable (with effort) regardless of his age or stage of life.

>Honestly I don't know what makes me listen to certain
> music over and over and buy the same band producing new albums

Becuase something in it appeals to your senses, and somewhere inside of yourself it makes sense to you. So much so that you want to hear it over and over again.

smithsisdead.jpg

No.

> With now living in LA (not England),

I take it you're in England? Only people in England make a big deal over this point. IRrelevant to me.

>writting songs that are not
> speaking in the same tone,

You want the same song over and over?

>and wear fake blue contact lenes

Don't know anything about this. He often had glasses on
with The Smiths, so either his eyes need them (thus, not fake contacts) or he wore fake glasses with The Smiths? Anyway,
perhaps you shouldn';t give so much thought to someone's
contact lenses.

>are
> think?

I love the way these messages about the downfall of Morrissey
always take the worst solo song and set it next to one of the
best Smiths songs.....

> Blue contacts?