FAO: JP

• Thread starter Theo van Gogh Martyrs Brigade
  • Start date
T

Theo van Gogh Martyrs Brigade

Right, so, before David_5 and Colleen wrecked the forum last night with their witchhunt I had meant to tell ya I managed to commandeer someone's IMac while I was out and about yesterday, and got 4 of your tracks and a few of Cod's burned to a CD. I so need an IMac, but that's another story. Whatever format your songs are in doesn't seem compatible with my shit. My problem for being behind the times.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE the song "I See Darkness" by Bonnie "Prince" Billy!!!
Who is that? I'm gonna whatever CD that's on. Beautiful, mellow, sad, right up my alley.

I also dug "Absence" by Antartica. It puts me in a zone when I play it very loud.

"Longest Day" and "Shanty for Arethusa" still have to grow on me probably. I liked them and they're keepers, but I was too excited by "I See Darkness" and that dominated my attention. I'm not sure I like the Decembrists vocalist - everything else about their song is cool. Maybe he'll grow on me.

Did you get my email yesterday?? I sent it to the email you have registered your screenname on here. If that's the wrong one, let me know.

> Anyway, I absolutely LOVE the song "I See Darkness" by Bonnie
> "Prince" Billy!!!
> Who is that? I'm gonna whatever CD that's on. Beautiful, mellow, sad,
> right up my alley.

Theo, I have that album (Japanese version w/ bonus tracks!) on my pc...I could upload this if you like.

Here is a review:
http://www.2walls.com/Reviews/Music/billy_bonnie.asp

> Theo, I have that album (Japanese version w/ bonus tracks!) on my pc...I
> could upload this if you like.

You'd be going above and beyond the call of duty, Codreanu, but you'd make me very happy is you did so! Thanks!!

> You'd be going above and beyond the call of duty, Codreanu, but you'd make
> me very happy is you did so! Thanks!!

I am uploading the album now; it should come to approx. 60MB.

This reminds me...jp, would you happen to have Bonnie "Prince" Billy's "Get on Jolly" ep? Oldham gives a somber rendition of Tagore's poems with the spare accompaniment of a member of the Dirty Three.
Anyway, I would LOVE to hear this in toto -- I think that I will scour Soulseek for it later...

"Get on Jolly" at Amazon

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
> I am uploading the album now; it should come to approx. 60MB.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I will start downloading it when I go to sleep.

> This reminds me...jp, would you happen to have Bonnie "Prince"
> Billy's "Get on Jolly" ep? Oldham gives a somber rendition of
> Tagore's poems with the spare accompaniment of a member of the Dirty
> Three.
> Anyway, I would LOVE to hear this in toto -- I think that I will scour
> Soulseek for it later...

Nevermind. I just acquired this via Soulseek.

And, my God, is it REMARKABLE!

Hey Theo. I was out on assignment all day and then at the gym, so I couldn't get back to you sooner.

I guess Cod has brought you up to speed with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, but seeing as how you like it so much, you should probably check out anything and everything by Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy/Palace/Palace Brothers. All the same artist. My other favorite album from him, second to "I See A Darkness" is "Joya," which is under the name Will Oldham.

Your Birthday Party mix is in the works. I'll see if I can't burn you some other stuff you might like as well.

> Right, so, before David_5 and Colleen wrecked the forum last night with
> their witchhunt I had meant to tell ya I managed to commandeer someone's
> IMac while I was out and about yesterday, and got 4 of your tracks and a
> few of Cod's burned to a CD. I so need an IMac, but that's another
> story. Whatever format your songs are in doesn't seem compatible with my
> shit. My problem for being behind the times.

> Anyway, I absolutely LOVE the song "I See Darkness" by Bonnie
> "Prince" Billy!!!
> Who is that? I'm gonna whatever CD that's on. Beautiful, mellow, sad,
> right up my alley.

> I also dug "Absence" by Antartica. It puts me in a zone when I
> play it very loud.

> "Longest Day" and "Shanty for Arethusa" still have to
> grow on me probably. I liked them and they're keepers, but I was too
> excited by "I See Darkness" and that dominated my attention. I'm
> not sure I like the Decembrists vocalist - everything else about their
> song is cool. Maybe he'll grow on me.

> Did you get my email yesterday?? I sent it to the email you have
> registered your screenname on here. If that's the wrong one, let me know.

> I guess Cod has brought you up to speed with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, but
> seeing as how you like it so much, you should probably check out anything
> and everything by Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy/Palace/Palace Brothers.
> All the same artist. My other favorite album from him, second to "I
> See A Darkness" is "Joya," which is under the name Will
> Oldham.

Thanks for this info, JP.

I liked this from the review Codreanu posted:

"Why, you may ask, should you spend your money on an album that’s guaranteed to put you into a stupor of despair? Because it’s as beautiful as it is sad. Crushingly beautiful. It has a simplicity and honesty that you won’t get from most of the all-too-self-aware songwriters around these days. There are lots of sad songs out there – hell, there are entire sad genres – but I See A Darkness eclipses all of them until what’s left is the warm, glowing corona, burning out your eye-sockets as you stare in grieving disbelief."

I think I'm gonna like this stuff a lot.

> Your Birthday Party mix is in the works. I'll see if I can't burn you some
> other stuff you might like as well.

Cool.

P.S. I loved that Nick Cave b-side. Had heard it once before many years ago. Thanks!

Re: P.S. I loved that Nick Cave b-side. Had heard it once before many years ago. Thanks!

The "Murder Ballads" CD singles were how I got into Nick Cave. I'd been vaguelly aware of him for a couple years before that, but I had to get the "Henry Lee" single because the cover has Nick and PJ Harvey kissing and I was very into PJ Harvey at the time (still am, but moreso back then). Then I noticed that James Johnston played guitar on a "Henry Lee" b-side, "Knoxville Girl" (have you heard that one?). James Johnston is from Gallon Drunk. So then I got the "Where The Wild Roses Grow" single to hear more.....