The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
Recording for Viva Hate commenced at The Wool Hall studios in Bath, England in early October and would last until late December. Street recruited Durutti Column guitarist Vini Reilly and session drummer Andrew Paresi to back Morrissey, with Street himself taking over bass duties.
Viva Hate was was released on 14 March 1988 by HMV Records and debuted at #1 on the UK charts.
EMI, in celebration of their 100th anniversary, released a special edition of Viva Hate in the UK in 1997. In addition to featuring brand new artwork, including a new cover shot by Eamonn McCabe, the Centenary Edition features 8 bonus tracks — only one of which was contemporaneous with the album. Surprisingly, "Hairdresser On Fire" does not appear on this version despite originally appearing on the North American version of the album as a bonus track.
On 02 April 2012, a newly remastered special edition of Viva Hate, supervised by Stephen Street, was released. Controversially, Morrissey chose to omit one of the album's original tracks, "The Ordinary Boys," and include the session demo "Treat Me Like A Human Being." In addition to the track list changes, the intro and extended fadeout of "Late Night, Maudlin Street" has been edited. The original album artwork was restored for this release, however, the typeface font on the front cover has been changed, as was the case with the 2011 Bona Drag remaster.
Were you and he lovers?
And would you say so if you were? On a forecourt On a Friday Passing my way
Were you and he lovers? And if you were, then say that you were! On a groundsheet Under canvas With your tent-flap Open wide
A note upon his desk: "P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!" Leather elbows on a tweed coat - Oh! - Is THAT the best you can do?
So came his reply: "...but on the desk is where I want you!" So I ask (even though I know): Were you and he lovers?
- Morrissey - Vocals
- Vini Reilly - Guitars, Keyboards
- Stephen Street - Bass guitar, guitars
- Andrew Paresi - Drums
- John Metcalfe - Viola
- Fenella Barton - Violin
- Mark Davies - Cello
- Richard Koster - Violin
- Robert Wollard - Cello
- Rachel Maguire - Cello
- Producer - Stephen Street
- Assistant Engineer - Steve Williams
- Art co-ordination - Jo Slee
- Layout - Caryn Gough
- Photography - Anton Corbijn
- Photography - Steve Wright
Play count (Morrissey concert): 127
Morrissey live history:
- Adelaide, Australia 2002-10-17 (Morrissey concert)
- Anaheim, California 2002-09-13 (Morrissey concert)
- Athens, Greece 2002-11-08 (Morrissey concert)
- Athens, Greece 2002-11-09 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlanta, Georgia 1992-11-18 (Morrissey concert)
- Auburn Hills, Michigan 1992-09-26 (Morrissey concert)
- Auckland, New Zealand 1991-09-08 (Morrissey concert)
- Belfort, France 1992-07-04 (Morrissey concert)
- Berkeley, California 2002-09-14 (Morrissey concert)
- Birmingham, England 1992-12-12 (Morrissey concert)
- ... further results