The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
|THE SMITHS song|
|Name||The Hand That Rocks The Cradle|
|Length||4:38 (Album version)|
4:47 (Monitor mix/demo)
4:57 (Troy Tate Studio)
5:15 (Troy Tate Outtake)
6:31 (Decibel Studios demo)
- A monitor mix of this song appears on The Smiths – Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals bootleg LP.
- December, 2018 Dale Hibbert shared the full Decibel Studios demo (later removing it from YouTube).
Please don't cry For the ghost and the storm outside Will not invade this sacred shrine Nor infiltrate your mind
My life down I shall lie If the bogey-man should try To play tricks on your sacred mind To tease, torment and tantalize
Wavering shadows loom A piano plays in an empty room There'll be blood on the cleaver tonight And when darkness lifts and the room is bright I'll still be by your side for you are all that matters And I'll love you till the day I die There never need be longing in your eyes As long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine
Ceiling shadows shimmy by And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey There's sadness in your beautiful eyes Your untouched, unsoiled, wondrous eyes
My life down I shall lie Should restless spirits try To play tricks on your sacred mind I once had a child and it saved my life I never even asked his name I just looked into his wondrous eyes And said "never never never again"
And all too soon I did return Just like a moth to a flame So rattle my bones all over the stones I'm only a beggar-man whom nobody owns See how words as old as sin Fit me like a glove I'm here and here I'll stay Together we lie, together we pray There never need be longing in your eyes As long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine As long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine, mine
Climb upon my knee, sonny boy Oh, though you're only three, sonny boy You're mine And your mother she just never knew As long as there's love As long as there's love I did my best for her I did my best for her As long as there's love As long as there's love I did my best for her I did my best for her Mine... Mine...
Play count (The Smiths concert): 3
The Smiths live history:
- Manchester, England 1982-10-04 (The Smiths concert)
- Manchester, England 1983-02-04 (The Smiths concert)
- London, England 1983-05-21 (The Smiths concert)
Play count (Morrissey concert): 0
Related Forum Threads
- "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" original, full length (Decibelle Studios) posted on YouTube - Morrissey-solo (Dec 31, 2018)
- The Smiths A-Z: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" - Morrissey-solo (Feb 12, 2022)