The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
|Release||27 February 1988|
3:35 (Mael Mix)
|Art work||Geri Caulfield (cover)|
Kevin Cummins (Mael Mix cover)
|Vinyl Etching||DREAMS...ARE JUST...DREAMS|
|Publisher||HMV Records (UK)|
Sire Records (US)
EMI Records (Mael Mix)
|Format(s)||7" Vinyl, 12" Vinyl, CD, 10" Vinyl Picture Disc (Mael Mix), Digital download (Mael Mix)|
|Chart position||UK #5|
→Everyday Is Like Sunday
"Suedehead was Morrissey's debut single as a solo artist. Released on 27 February 1988 by HMV Records, the single came a mere nine weeks after The Smiths' single "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" from their final album, Strangeways, Here We Come. "Suedehead" was produced and co-wrote by Stephen Street, and was the first single released from Morrissey's debut album, Viva Hate.
Recording for Viva Hate commenced at The Wool Hall studios in Bath, England in early October and would last until late December. During the one of the sessions, EMI executives stopped by the studio to check up on the recording progress, to which Street played them a rough mix of "Suedehead". The executives responded positively which, according to Street, gave he and Morrissey a better sense of freedom with the album and the confidence that they were heading in the right direction.
Upon release, "Suedehead" reached the #5 slot in the UK charts. With the momentum of a hit single, two weeks later Viva Hate was released and debuted at #1 on the charts.
UK - [HMV POP1618]
US - [Sire/Reprise 9 27907-7]
UK - [HMV 12POP1618]
US - [Sire/Reprise 9 20877-0]
UK - [HMV CDPOP1618]
10" Picture Disc/Digital Download
On 21 April 2012, in celebration of Record Store Day, EMI released a limited edition 10" picture disc, and a subsequent digital download on 23 April, of "Suedehead", as remixed by Ron and Russell Mael of Sparks. The single also feature two previously unreleased BBC live versions of "We'll Let You Know" and "Now My Heart Is Full", recorded at London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in February 1995.
UK - [Liberty 10LBF15461]
- Suedehead (Mael Mix) – 3:35 (Morrissey/Street)Property "Tracklistsong" (as page type) with input value "We'll Let You Know [Live" contains invalid characters or is incomplete and therefore can cause unexpected results during a query or annotation process.
- We'll Let You Know [Live] – 4:13 (Morrissey/Whyte)Property "Tracklistsong" (as page type) with input value "Now My Heart Is Full [Live" contains invalid characters or is incomplete and therefore can cause unexpected results during a query or annotation process.
- Now My Heart Is Full [Live] – 4:55 (Morrissey/Boorer)
- Morrissey - Vocals
- Stephen Street - Bass guitar, guitars
- Vini Reilly - Guitars, keyboard
- Andrew Paresi - Drums
- John Metcalfe - Viola
- Fenella Barton - Violin
- Mark Davies - Cello
- Richard Koster - Violin
- Robert Wollard - Cello
- Rachel Maguire - Cello
- Producer - Stephen Street
- Assistant Engineer - Steve Williams
- Art co-ordination - Jo Slee
- Layout - Caryn Gough
- Photography - Geri Caulfield