|Release||24 January 2020|
|Writer/composer||Roy Orbison/Bill Dees|
|Art work||Cover star: Robert Mitchum still from The Lusty Men (1952)|
|Vinyl Etching||No matrix message
'Rodeo' instead of 'Side B' on the record
|Publisher||Étienne / BMG|
|Format(s)||Digital Download, 7" Blue Vinyl|
|Chart position||UK Vinyl Chart #1|
| Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?|
→Love Is On Its Way Out
Backing vocals: LP (Laura Pergolizzi).
UK - [Étienne – 538559871]
Your baby doesn't love you anymore
Golden days before they end
Whisper secrets to the wind
Your baby won't be near you any more
Tender nights before they fly
Send falling stars that seem to cry
Your baby doesn't want you anymore
It breaks your heart in two, To know she's been untrue
But oh what will you do? Then she said to you
There's someone new We're through We're through
It's over It's over It's over
All the rainbows in the sky
Start to weep, then say goodbye
You won't be seeing rainbows any more
Setting suns before they fall, Echo to you that's all that's all
But you'll see lonely sunset after all
It's over It's over It's over It's over
The release of this single was extremely convoluted and changed continually.
- February 25, 2019 - appears on Spotify.
- February 26, 2019 - released digitally as an 'instant grat' & pre-order bonus prior to California Son (radio airplay of the track especially in the UK). Physical single is mentioned (with Brow Of My Beloved as B-side - Mitchum green, red & white cover shown).
- March 27, 2019 - Central shares an unofficial It's Over video.
- September 18, 2019 - Central inform us of a new single - no release date given (featuring Mitchum on the 7" with green, red & white font/colour)
- October 1, 2019 - "heartbreaking" news that BMG have shelved the single (7" pictured again as per September 18).
- October 9, 2019 - Central states the single will be released "in the second week of November"
- October 11, 2019 - Central post "hold on, it's coming". Monroe is pictured holding the original 7" sleeve as pictured via their September 18th post.
- October 12, 2019 - Central post "It's Starting" with a blue vinyl 7" shown and new black, blue & white font/colour, no other information.
- November 12, placeholder spotted on UK Amazon - also on the Italian Amazon with November 29 as a release date (showing the original artwork and fonts as per September 18). - No link as now gone.
- November 14, 2019 - the single appears on the Warner's portal site with product number "4050538559873" (seen by FWD). The single has not been listed on any Warners buying in sheets throughout the year - especially November or December so no indie shops are aware of it officially as the sheets dictate what is available to buy. - no link as only see off-site.
- November 14, 2019 - a new image for the 7" with moved lettering/new crop is found on an Italian record shop site - also citing December 13 as the release date.
- November 16, 2019 - Amazon UK removes the single from their listings. It remains on the .DE/FR/IT sites.
- November 22, 2019 - Central posts "It's Somewhere". The mysterious VH asserts it should have been released and the first blue vinyl 7" picture is shown again.
- November 23, 2019 - Member @Marco informs us Crash Records are citing a release "early next year".
- December 11, 2019 - Cover art updates on all Amazons and the listing reappears on the UK site. (No link as now gone).
- December 20, 2019 - @Kennethwilliamsunderstudy informs us HMV are stocking the 7" in Newcastle and FWD finds them in Birmingham HMV too.
- December 20, 2019 - HMV's release with photos/record details are posted here.
- December 20, 2019 - Morrissey via Central's "… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER." stated the single was: "spotted in a couple of HMV's - six weeks after its release date."
- December 25, 2019 - The Krays are pictured 'finding' copies of the single in a Central post entitled: "Miracle".
- December 27, 2019 - It's Over enters the UK vinyl singles chart at #2 on HMV sales alone.
- December 28, 2019 - Central comments on the charting via: "A MORRISSEY SINGLE IS RELEASED BY MISTAKE - IT STILL REACHES NUMBER 2"
- December 31, 2019 - Amazon .DE & .IT were observed to change the release date from 11th to 24th of January - observed by FWD (no link).
- January 1, 2020 - Central assert BMG have January 10 scheduled as the official release date.
- January 2, 2020 - Central update the release date information to January 24.
- January 2 - 2020 - Central post Roy Orbison 'finding' a copy of the single.
- January 6, 2020 - It's Over reaches #1 in the vinyl singles chart still on HMV sales alone.
- January 10, 2020 - UK indies & Amazon list It's Over as releasing on January 24 and list it for sale - all sellers now saying 24th.
- January 22, 2020 - Central restate the 24th as the release date.
- January 24, 2020 - the single is finally released and being shipped via Amazon & Indies (no sign of a digital B-side at time of updating).
- B-side hasn't been released digitally since.
Play count (Morrissey concert): 0
- Roy Orbison
- EXCLUSIVE: Morrissey - Music-News.com (May 27, 2019)
- The Interview. A LARKS' TONGUE IN APRIL. - Morrissey Central (June 24, 2019)
- Turning The Inside Out. - Morrissey Central (July 5, 2021)
- Mixed By - Ken Sluiter
- Producer - Joe Chiccarelli
Issued in a side opening card sleeve. The vinyl is translucent to strong light Copies may come shrink-wrapped.
Slated for a 10th January 2020 release by online retailers Signed copies were also sold at the merch stand for Viva Moz Vegas concerts in Caesars Palace , Las Vegas 2021.
- It's Over - Discogs master release: https://www.discogs.com/master/1656768
- It's Over (7" 45 RPM Single Stereo Cyan) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/release/14549480-Morrissey-Featuring-LP-Its-Over
"It's Over" is an American song composed by Roy Orbison and Bill Dees and sung by Orbison. The single was produced by Fred Foster and engineered by Bill Porter."It's Over" typifies the operatic rock ballad. The song also appears on Orbison's 1964 album More of Roy Orbison's Greatest Hits and his 1989 posthumous album A Black & White Night Live from the 1988 HBO television special. Billboard said of the song that "the drama-ballad king scores again with pathos and chorus and strings that build, build, build." Cash Box described it as "a throbbing, martial beat-like lover's lament that once again builds to a big finish" and praised the instrumental arrangement by Bill Justis.
Related Forum Threads
- LP interview in Repubblica.it mentions "It's Over" duet on "California Son", meeting Morrissey - Morrissey-solo (Dec 10, 2018)
- "It's Over" (Roy Orbison cover) posted on Spotify; "California Son" sleeve revealed - Morrissey-solo (Feb 25, 2019)
- "It's Over" - physical release & cover art - Morrissey Central (26 Feb, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Feb 26, 2019)
- New unofficial video by Ariadne Rimbaud "It's Over"; linked on Morrissey Central - Morrissey-solo (Mar 27, 2019)
- MozCentral: New Single - "It's Over" / "It Happens Every Time"; "Lady Willpower" scrapped - Morrissey-solo (Sep 18, 2019)
- BMG have decided against releasing 'It's Over' as a single - Morrissey Central - Morrissey-solo (Oct 01, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: "BMG" (October 9, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Oct 09, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: "HOLD ON, IT’S COMING" (October 11, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Oct 11, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: "IT'S STARTING" - It's Over cover art & blue vinyl (October 12, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Oct 14, 2019)
- "It's Over" 7" vinyl appears on Italian record sites with Dec. 13, 2019 release date, updated sleeve - Morrissey-solo (Nov 14, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: " IT’S … SOMEWHERE" (November 22nd 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Nov 22, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: "… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER" (December 20, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Dec 20, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: "Miracle" (December 25, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Dec 25, 2019)
- Morrissey's It's Over enters vinyl singles chart at number 2 - Morrissey-solo (Dec 27, 2019)
- Morrissey Central: "Morrissey Single" (December 28, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Dec 28, 2019)
- [Morrissey Central] "IT'S OVER, IT'S UNDER, IT'S SIDEWAYS, IT'S DOWN" (January 1, 2020) - Morrissey-solo (Jan 01, 2020)
- [Morrissey Central] "IT BREAKS YOUR HEART IN TWO" (January 2, 2020) - Morrissey-solo (Jan 02, 2020)
- [Morrissey Central] "Roy Orbison" (January 2, 2020) - Morrissey-solo (Jan 02, 2020)
- [Morrissey Central] "'It's Over' is number 1" (January 6, 2020) - Morrissey-solo (Jan 06, 2020)
- "It's Over" b/w "It Happens Every Time" blue vinyl 7" released (UK Jan. 24, 2020; HMV-Dec 20, 2019) - Morrissey-solo (Dec 20, 2019)
- [Morrissey Central] "SETTING SUNS BEFORE THEY FALL ECHO TO YOU ‘THAT’S ALL, THAT’S ALL’…" - Morrissey-solo (Jan 22, 2020)
- Morrissey A-Z: "It's Over" - Morrissey-solo (May 04, 2021)