|Release||20 May 2014 (Digital Download)|
3:20 (radio edit)
|Art work||Credited to Donnie Knutson|
Photo located by La Fabrique Studio, Avignon, France (before image alterations).
|Vinyl Etching||No matrix message|
|Chart position||UK - did not chart|
World Peace Is None Of Your Business|
→Earth Is The Loneliest Planet
Istanbul was released as a digital single on 20 July 2014. The single peaked at #53 on the UK charts.
It was included on a limited edition 4-track white label 10" EP released 07 July 2014.
When he first cried his mother died I had tried to be his guide when he was born I was too young the father searches for the son in Istanbul give him back to me Istanbul, give me back my brown-eyed son
Moonlight jumping through the trees sunken eyes avoiding me from dawn to dusk the hunt is on the father searches for the son in Istanbul give him back to me Istanbul, give me back my brown-eyed son
On secret streets in disbelief Little Shadow shows the lead Prostitutes stylish and glum in amongst them you are one oh, what have I done?
Rolling breathless off the tongue The vicious street gang slang I lean into a box of pine identify the kid as mine.
- Directed by Natalie Johns
Play count (Morrissey concert): 114
Morrissey live history:
- Adelaide, Australia 2016-10-26 (Morrissey concert)
- Akron, Ohio 2015-06-29 (Morrissey concert)
- Antwerp, Belgium 2014-11-26 (Morrissey concert)
- Antwerp, Belgium 2014-11-27 (Morrissey concert)
- Asunción, Paraguay 2015-12-06 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlanta, Georgia 2015-06-13 (Morrissey concert)
- Austin, Texas 2014-05-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Barcelona, Spain 2014-10-10 (Morrissey concert)
- Barcelona, Spain 2015-04-29 (Morrissey concert)
- Beaumont, Texas 2014-05-25 (Morrissey concert)
- www.thesmithschile.cl. (2014-07-01). "World Peace Is None Your Business" [10 Inch Vinyl Indie Exclusive] 4 track EP released (July 7, 2014). Morrissey-solo. Retrieved from morrissey-solo.com.
Istanbul Misprinted as *Instanbul on the back
- Istanbul - Discogs master release: https://www.discogs.com/master/747188
- Istanbul (Promo Misprint) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/release/13926298-Morrissey-Istanbul
"Istanbul" is a song by English singer Morrissey. It is the fourth track on his World Peace Is None of Your Business album and was released as the second single off the album via digital download on 20 May 2014, through Harvest and Capitol Records. This song depicts the story of someone who's desperately searching for a man in the midst of a prostitution environment in Istanbul. One mysterious and poignant piece of music. After the line "Oh, what have I done", the singer once again shows his brilliance, by creating an atmosphere where the listener is invited to imagine what sort of deeds have been done by the searcher. Such ability demonstrates a level of conversational situation between Morrissey and the person who is listening this story (may it be intentional or not). In the end of the song Morrissey declares that he found the missing person: "I lean into a box of pine, identify the kid as mine." These words suggest that the person is no longer alive. Then Boz Boorer and the band drag us into a secret Arabian garden, a place of grieve. Due to changes in global music consumption, the physical versions of the first four singles from this album were released together as one 10" vinyl. Joe Chiccarelli, the album's producer, stated that "Morrissey wanted to evoke the feeling of the hectic and chaotic streets of the city of Istanbul, so he used a cigar-box guitar, a lap steel guitar and a complicated and bussy drum rhythm, plus an actual gong as percussion, as well as vocal samples from a field recording taken in the streets of Istanbul by guitarist Jesse Tobias."
Related Forum Threads
- Morrissey A-Z: "Istanbul" - Morrissey-solo (Apr 30, 2021)