Zenyatta, unbeat, runs her 20th race Saturday in the Breeder's Cup

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
(I have to admit, when all eyes are on one horse to win, I get nervous and don't watch. :o)

57356120.jpg

At the Breeders' Cup, it's one for the show

Zenyatta is clearly the main attraction in horse racing's biggest event, and no one feels jealous.

Bill Dwyre

4:40 PM PDT, November 4, 2010

From Louisville, Ky.

There are 167 of the finest thoroughbred horses in the world who will compete as afterthoughts here the next two days. They are warmup acts to No. 168, a mare named Zenyatta.

It is amazing to behold.

Not only do other owners and trainers of horses entered in this year's Breeders' Cup, where $26 million in purses will be won, not resent her dominance of the scene. They welcome it.

Renowned California trainer John Sadler, who has four entrants in this annual prestigious showcase of horse racing's finest, estimates he has seen the magical Zenyatta run in 15 of her 19 races -- all 19 victories, of course. He says, "Sometimes, I don't want to watch, because I just don't want to see her get beat."

Al Stahl Jr., trainer of Blame, one of the top threats to Zenyatta in Saturday's grand finale, the $5-million Breeders' Cup Classic, says, "If we make the lead coming home and she blows by us, it's not the end of the world."

Mike Pegram, one of the owners of another Classic contender, Preakness winner Lookin At Lucky, says of Zenyatta, "She'll be a monster on dirt."

Thursday dawns overcast and chilly in Louisville. The morning temperature hovers in the high 30s, and a biting wind slices through the backstretch and barns of fabled Churchill Downs. But the crowds come anyway, in numbers many longtime racing observers call unprecedented for a routine morning jog.

Grown women yell in the direction of Barn 43, where Zenyatta lives these days, "We love you, Zenyatta." The size of the crowds already says that.

The media, slow to address why we fight wars where there are no weapons of mass destruction, never misses on identifying a rock star. Wednesday's big story was the traffic jam Zenyatta caused along the street behind Churchill's barns when she went to graze.

Thursday is more of the same. Zenyatta looks great. She is eager and energetic in her jog. She perks her ears and poses for the crowd, which makes a human tunnel for her when she goes to the main track.

One TV reporter sticks a microphone in the face of the cop guarding the sawhorse at Zenyatta's barn entrance. The questioning is about how honored he is as a chosen one, guarding the leading lady.

Such silly excess would be extraordinary, even for TV, except that she is, indeed, extraordinary and her public has an insatiable appetite for all nuggets about her.

"She just loves all this," says Zenyatta's trainer, John Shirreffs. "She has developed a great personality. She looks for it [the attention] now."

The family-like core connections around Zenyatta give her story a "Leave It To Beaver" feel.

Thursday morning, exercise rider Steve Willard chats outside the barn and points to David Ingordo, who discovered Zenyatta and recommended her purchase to his mother, Dottie. Dottie, the stable manager, passed the word along to Jerry and Ann Moss, Zenyatta's owners.

"None of us would be here, doing this today," Willard says, "if it wasn't for David."

Dottie's husband, and David's father, was jockey agent Jerry Ingordo, who died in 1998. Along the way, the Mosses asked Dottie to find a trainer to develop young horses. David recommended the relatively unknown Shirreffs. Dottie hired Shirreffs, then later married him.

As Willard speaks, Shirreffs is showing David some of his recent photos, and Willard is chuckling about what a "gadget guy" Shirreffs is these days.

"Those pictures were taken with the great camera John has," Willard says. "The Mosses gave him that as a present. John always has the best gadgets."

Willard says Shirreffs is a man of many interests and skills.

"John knows acupuncture," Willard says. "One time, I had a toothache. So he stuck a needle here and here [points to areas around his face] and the toothache was gone."

Soon, it is time for Zenyatta to go for a jog. Willard mounts, the masses part like the Red Sea, and all members of the immediate family follow along.

Ann Moss films the departure and narrates. "Good morning, sweetie," she says. Her husband trails. The longtime Hollywood record executive, along with partner Herb Alpert, produced the 1980 album by The Police, "Zenyatta Mondatta," from which the name came.

Jerry Moss takes in the scene and says," Isn't this great?"

Shirreffs stands with Dottie, away from the crowd and watching Zenyatta's every move through binoculars. Nearby, fans approach the Mosses, wishing them well and thanking them for what they and Zenyatta have done for racing.

Mike Smith, her Hall of Fame race jockey, watches intently as Willard takes Zenyatta slowly down the long backstretch.

A fan approaches and asks Smith what it is like to ride Zenyatta.

"I wish I could describe it," he says.

Close by, other horses continue to enter the track for workouts. Each has a prestigious Breeders' Cup saddlecloth and its name. Each is a successful, wealthy star.

And, on this day, each is barely noticed.

[email protected]

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

Breeder's Cup anagrams

Buds Creeper
Scrub Deeper
Curb Speeder
Superb Creed
Scrub Red Pee

"The longtime Hollywood record executive [Jerry Moss], along with partner Herb Alpert, produced the 1980 album by The Police, "Zenyatta Mondatta," from which the name came."

They did not. The producer of that record was Nigel Gray:
http://www.nigelgray.com/

Alpert & Moss owned A&M Records, the label the Police were on. Standards in journalism nowadays... geez, with Google it's not like it's difficult to fact-check, it takes all of 2 seconds.

Well anyway, she placed. Which isn't technically losing in horse racing since she was on the board. It was an amazingly exciting race.

I was in a cafe afterward and saw an old guy with a Del Mar hat on his table and I asked him his thoughts on the race. (Next to Santa Anita so there's racing enthusiasts around.) He said it was the jockey's fault (Smith) for holding her back too long. At one point she was eight furlongs behind the leader. I mean it's her style to surge and take over, but she lost literally by a head. He thought if Smith had urged her a couple seconds sooner in the backstretch, she would've beat Blame no problem. He said if you watched the ending she did beat him, a second after the finish line, that Blame's jockey didn't put on his brakes and she was a full stride ahead of him.

Oh well. Not to get super symbollic, but the boy should be ahead of the girl. It's the order of sun and moon. :blushing: Despite how close they came together at the line. :p

:)rofl:)

Last edited:
I might be wrong on the furlongs statistic. SHe was waaaaaay back there, that's my point. And I hate that the headline is "Zenyatta Lost." Does this race look like she's a loser? She kicked ass. It's an amazing run. And thank GOD everyone was safe.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Et15M6wsPo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Et15M6wsPo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Tonight I dedicate this Bronski BEAT song to Zenyatta. :p (If she weren't a horse she'd lol.)

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xuz94ZIPfJk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xuz94ZIPfJk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

AND when someone left the north and travelled south, this time he didn;t get confused and kill a horse, so Mike Smith can sob all he wants, it was a rad race.

Ima gonna shut up now cuz d'beers doing the talking.*burp*

Who wants to sex chat? :p

Kidding.

I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of the Breeders Cup.

Is it a really big deal in America? Educate me! Or I'll have to resort to Wikipedia...

I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of the Breeders Cup.

Is it a really big deal in America? Educate me! Or I'll have to resort to Wikipedia...

Ummmm, it's not huge but it's always televised. It's like the North American world series for the thoroughbreds. I had to wiki it too to see where it takes place because my mom was asking, it changes every year. We live close to a race track and recall it being there before.

I was looking for the photo finish last night and found it this morning looking up your answer. :p To me this is one of the most beautiful things, two horses racing each other. I mean not the whipping (which isn;t as bad as it looks) and all the politics and whatnot of racing, but two horses free, running open stride flat out, chasing each other to the finish. :sweet: They love it.

07breeders1-blogSpan.jpg

I am now properly informed:thumb:

Those (tiny little) jockeys look bloody ridiculous though :lbf:

I spent many Saturdays at the track as a little girl and dreamed of being a jockey. My dad would let me wander around alone (at a flippin race track! :eek: Have you seen the people who go there? Different times, different times.) and I'd hang out at the jockey weigh station before they mount, where they'd hold their saddle and weigh in. Even as a seven-year-old I knew I was too big. :p

Yeah I know the feeling. I've always been quite sturdy :highfive:

My brother and I were talking about that a while back - how when we used to go on holiday (mostly camping), we'd just bugger off for hours on end exploring etc. I don't think you could do that now, I don't think I'd let my kids if I had them.

Mind you if I hadn't have been there my brother probably would have killed himself several times over. We're twins - he doesn't think enough and I think too much. Dammit!

But it was nice to have freedom.

Still think the jockey's look stupid - they're so tiny! I do remember finding out that their 'colours' were silk though, when I was about 7, and being quite impressed. I've always loved fabric!

Crystal, I hope you were just being droll in saying that "man first" is the natural order of the universe. :confused: I'm not sitting in the back of any cosmic bus.

Back to the horse: 19-1 is not a bad record to retire on.

Zenyatta will always be a legend & it doesn't matter a damn that she could only finish second.

She was on 60 Minutes, the horse racing press & tv in the UK were giving the Breeders Cup coverage & significantly, the none racing press was putting it in the papers too.

And here we are on a Morrissey forum & Zenyatta makes an appearance.

Temporarily, horse racing became a sport of importance in the wider world of sport that usually ignores it.

And the way you guys just seem to love Zenyatta, it's a sight to see in this country where we worship overpaid soccer players. We had similar with a horse called Sea The Stars but he retired to stud after one season so could never match 19 races unbeaten.

Crystal, I hope you were just being droll in saying that "man first" is the natural order of the universe. :confused: I'm not sitting in the back of any cosmic bus.

Back to the horse: 19-1 is not a bad record to retire on.

No, no, no, no, no. I just mean as an alchemical principle. It's old stuff used for meditation. Boys are the sun and girls are the moon, that's just the way it is. In order to illuminate truth in meditation, you have to have the sun on top of the moon. THe moon casts shadows and doubt or fear in alchemical work. If the sun is on top truth is reflected. It's boring stuff but an ancient meditative principle.

5159597864_a28ac01b3a.jpg

Think of the above illustration as the vertical plane on work. THe horizontal plane and the goal on earth in alchemical work is to have the sun and moon EQUAL. Applying this principal to one;s work insures that women become the sun and men the moon and nobody is told they have to sit anywhere, they all sort of empathize and get along and share roles and all that. So no, I'm not a mysogynist wrapped in girls clothes, I'm an equal-opportunity symbologist. :p

5158992153_8f2e8936af.jpg

Anyway, back to the race, completely amazing. If you're bored you should go back and look at her other 19 races. She always starts from behind and has this amazing gear that none of the other horses have that she shifts into at the last minute. Always a thrill to watch her.

oh, that explains my recent nightmares involving a horse race :crazy:
look for someone to get trampleed on Saturday :eek:

It happened last Saturday, Robby.

Back
Top Bottom