Zack Snyder's recollection of making "Tomorrow" promo video

full
Zack Snyder is interviewed in the new issue of Esquire magazine and is asked about Moz since he of course directed the fantastic “Tomorrow” music video:

ESQ: I have to ask you an aside question, since you mentioned hand-held camera work. You directed that old 1994 Morrissey video for "Tomorrow", right?

Snyder: I sure did.

ESQ: It's one of the great one-take videos.

Zack Snyder: I appreciate that. And there is a cut version of that video too. By the way, when I made that video I remember, I think it was Vanity Fair wrote an article about a Brian De Palma movie, where there was a big super long one-take. And they were saying that the Morrissey video I did was cooler than that. And I remember at the time thinking that that was so cool that I was referenced in relationship to this director's movie who I really admired because I was literally two years out of film school when I shot that video.

ESQ: Did you get along with Morrissey? Did you keep in touch with him?

Snyder: I had a great experience. I loved working with him. He had decided that I was going to shoot all of his videos from then on. But then he ghosted me after that. I don't know what happened.

ESQ: Oh no. Morrissey ghosting the director of his best video seems like a very Morrissey thing to do.

Snyder: Sadly. That was it. It was a sad thing. Because I would have loved to have been Morrissey's creative visualist. I remember I wrote a treatment for him for another song on that album. It was going to be all Giant. You know the movie Giant with James Dean? It was a take on it, and he was going to play the James Dean role.

Full interview here:

I wonder which of the Your Arsenal songs was gonna get the Giant treatment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zack Snyder is interviewed in the new issue of Esquire magazine and is asked about Moz since he of course directed the fantastic “Tomorrow” music video:

ESQ: I have to ask you an aside question, since you mentioned hand-held camera work. You directed that old 1994 Morrissey video for "Tomorrow", right?

Zack Snyder: I appreciate that. And there is a cut version of that video too. By the way, when I made that video I remember, I think it was Vanity Fair wrote an article about a Brian De Palma movie, where there was a big super long one-take. And they were saying that the Morrissey video I did was cooler than that. And I remember at the time thinking that that was so cool that I was referenced in relationship to this director's movie who I really admired because I was literally two years out of film school when I shot that video.

Snyder: I had a great experience. I loved working with him. He had decided that I was going to shoot all of his videos from then on. But then he ghosted me after that. I don't know what happened.

ESQ: Oh no. Morrissey ghosting the director of his best video seems like a very Morrissey thing to do.

Snyder: Sadly. That was it. It was a sad thing. Because I would have loved to have been Morrissey's creative visualist. I remember I wrote a treatment for him for another song on that album. It was going to be all Giant. You know the movie Giant with James Dean? It was a take on it, and he was going to play the James Dean role.

Full interview here:

"We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful" springs to mind, bearing in mind the plotline of 'Giant.'

"We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful" springs to mind, bearing in mind the plotline of 'Giant.'

We Hate It... was the first Arsenal single though. It was probably Certain People I Know.

nice. thanks :thumb:

Full interview here:

Moz as James Dean would’ve been like a wet dream.

He had decided that I was going to shoot all of his videos from then on. But then he ghosted me after that. I don't know what happened.
Ha ha! I think that's pretty much most people's experience of working with Moz! :LOL:

Hi Zack,

Had just finished watching AOTD when I saw this. As a non-paying viewer I thought I'd give you my two cents. Your film certainly has its moments but one of its main flaws is the Alphas. The Alphalady in particular, dear God! Are we supposed to believe zombies are that flexible? I accept the Las Vegas undead might all be part of the entertainment industry, but how could you ever suppose an ex-Cirque du Soleil acrobat would be zombie material? At one point she scampers and totally forgets she's supposed to not be normal, then at the last moment, remembers, and bends her arms at the weirdest angle and ends up looking about as scary as a handicapped seagull. Dude it's just painful to watch.

You realize, I'm sure, that if you had gone back to Nice, you would have found there all the zombies you needed. You can't throw a rock in the city centre without hitting a braindead. There are more living dead than you can shake a walking stick at. There are old ladies that go to the gym and the beach everyday that would have made ideal alphas. No need for the Mad Max dusty look either, they come with their own make up.
Remember that for the sequel?

Anyway. Bravo for the helpful German.

Last edited:
aww too bad but at least we have SER as uncle's creative visualist. SER really did a fantastic job on KMAL. just in case you forgot about this bad boi but it's right up there with zack snyder's tomorrow video:

morrissey = he's our cautionary tale.

aww too bad but at least we have SER as uncle's creative visualist. SER really did a fantastic job on KMAL. just in case you forgot about this bad boi but it's right up there with zack snyder's tomorrow video:

morrissey = he's our cautionary tale.

I rewatched this a few months ago and I can't bring myself to watch it again. I like the DIY approach, passing by the record label and going out there alone, but this is just... well, it speaks for itself. Too bad, even for Morrissey.

His worst video? For sure. Then Chain Gang.

Moz (solo) did about 7 good videos: Suedehead, November, My Love Life, Tomorrow, Glamorous Glue, Irish Blood, and the EXCELLENT The More You Ignore Me. Having the Snyder on board for some of the other wishy washy videos would have helped. I wonder how a Snyder Moz concert video would look. Not as good as Tim Pope's Cure In Orange. God but that was brilliant.

The planned video for Interlude with Siouxsie throwing stones at Moz in the park would have been an all time cult classic.

Hi Zack,

Had just finished watching AOTD when I saw this. As a non-paying viewer I thought I'd give you my two cents. Your film certainly has its moments but one of its main flaws is the Alphas. The Alphalady in particular, dear God! Are we supposed to believe zombies are that flexible? I accept the Las Vegas undead might all be part of the entertainment industry, but how could you ever suppose an ex-Cirque du Soleil acrobat would be zombie material? At one point she scampers and totally forgets she's supposed to not be normal, then at the last moment, remembers, and bends her arms at the weirdest angle and ends up looking about as scary as a handicapped seagull. Dude it's just painful to watch.

You realize, I'm sure, that if you had gone back to Nice, you would have found there all the zombies you needed. You can't throw a rock in the city centre without hitting a braindead. There are more living dead than you can shake a walking stick at. There are old ladies that go to the gym and the beach everyday that would have made ideal alphas. No need for the Mad Max dusty look either, they come with their own make up.
Remember that for the sequel?

Anyway. Bravo for the helpful German.
are they zombies or are they infected.zombies move very slowly, infected move very fast like in train to busan.

i spent 4 hours and 2 minutes watching zack snyders justice league,i hate these superhero films but it was very good.just shows what you can do with a director who knows what hes doing.

Moz (solo) did about 7 good videos: Suedehead, November, My Love Life, Tomorrow, Glamorous Glue, Irish Blood, and the EXCELLENT The More You Ignore Me. Having the Snyder on board for some of the other wishy washy videos would have helped. I wonder how a Snyder Moz concert video would look. Not as good as Tim Pope's Cure In Orange. God but that was brilliant.
Great shout on these all my favourites as well. Also have a soft spot for Ouija Board. Some wonderful fan made videos on YouTube. There is a black and white one for 'My Dearest love" which is cool, and one really good one for "Istanbul" with the hookers in the thumb nail image.

I rewatched this a few months ago and I can't bring myself to watch it again. I like the DIY approach, passing by the record label and going out there alone, but this is just... well, it speaks for itself. Too bad, even for Morrissey.

His worst video? For sure. Then Chain Gang.
Fortunately, SER hasn't been asked to make another video either. Spent The Day In Bed was good fun, and Jackie passable. Lets hope he never delves as low as the KMAL video again.

i spent 4 hours and 2 minutes watching zack snyders justice league,i hate these superhero films but it was very good.just shows what you can do with a director who knows what hes doing.
100%. Of course he left Justice League after the tragic suicide of his daughter. Only for that wankfraud Jizz Whedon to edit it into sphagetti shit. The Snyder cut turned the overcooked turkey into a phoenix.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom